Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12
Results 276 to 287 of 287

Thread: The Gulf Oil Spill Thread

  1. #276
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,438
    NBC News is now reporting the Coast Guard is saying there is no oil sheen and the rug was not in a production mode.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

  2. #277
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    NBC News is now reporting the Coast Guard is saying there is no oil sheen and the rug was not in a production mode.
    I don't trust the Coast Guard or our government anymore. They might be telling the truth, but I have no faith in their ability to tell me the truth.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  3. #278
    Cyburbian TexanOkie's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,904
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the oil sheen seen yesterday was probably the result of only 10 gallons of oil leaking from a holding tank near the location of the fire on the platform. They can't find any other evidence of leaks or spill.

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories

  4. #279
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,438
    The BP sub-contractors are still on the area beaches. They picked up a few tar balls today. Otherwise, a great day at the beach.





    RJ is the KING of . The One

  5. #280
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,438

    Bump

    We found this in the Gulf waters this past weekend--lots more out there. The largest piece on the left measures more that a couple of thumbs width. It's not charcoal, density is not right; pretty sure it's oil clunk churned up by TS Lee.

    Yeah, BP will make it right.

    RJ is the KING of . The One

  6. #281
    Cyburbian Jen's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,459
    But are tar balls really all that unusual on Fla beaches? NOt that tar is an indingenous mineral to the shore, I mean when I was growing up I remember there being a handy little jug of turpentine at the showers to swab the tar off your feet. Shallow rigs and prt evrglades contributing to the spread i suppose. But I guess tar balls used to be rare on those panhandle shores?

  7. #282
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    But are tar balls really all that unusual on Fla beaches? NOt that tar is an indingenous mineral to the shore, I mean when I was growing up I remember there being a handy little jug of turpentine at the showers to swab the tar off your feet. Shallow rigs and prt evrglades contributing to the spread i suppose. But I guess tar balls used to be rare on those panhandle shores?
    I know on the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale beach) there was more of a problem in the 70s when tankers would be just off-shore and clean / dump their holding tanks, but that was suppossed to have stopped 20+ years ago.

    The Florida Gulf Coast really never had that problem. I never saw tar balls or such on the beach (now the occassional red tide - that's another story)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  8. #283
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    We found this in the Gulf waters this past weekend--lots more out there. The largest piece on the left measures more that a couple of thumbs width. It's not charcoal, density is not right; pretty sure it's oil clunk churned up by TS Lee.

    Yeah, BP will make it right.

    Saw an article that the oil on the bottom of the Gulf is not degrading. We are going to be SOL for quite some time I'm afraid.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  9. #284
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,438
    Following a TV news story, ZG reported on-line our weekend discovery to the news outlet. This was BP's on-line response.

    We've had manual cleanup crews patrolling and maintaining the NW Fla. beaches for many months as part of our commitment to Bay County and the Gulf Coast community. The amount of tar balls that we're collecting is trending in a positive direction. Tourism flourished this summer in NW Fla. and people were back out enjoying the beaches. Our surveys are showing Panama City beaches are oil free. If you believe you see oil on the beaches we encourage you to report it to the National Response Center (800) 424-8802 so appropriate action can be taken.
    This is a lie about our beaches being oil free. I'm taking a small sample of the clunk in tomorrow and turning over to our emergency managers for analysis.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

  10. #285
    Cyburbian Jen's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I know on the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale beach) there was more of a problem in the 70s when tankers would be just off-shore and clean / dump their holding tanks, but that was suppossed to have stopped 20+ years ago.

    The Florida Gulf Coast really never had that problem. I never saw tar balls or such on the beach (now the occassional red tide - that's another story)
    That's right I forgot about those tankers offshore, thanks for clarifying the memory. how did they get that to stop, state .feds. locals?

  11. #286
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    That's right I forgot about those tankers offshore, thanks for clarifying the memory. how did they get that to stop, state .feds. locals?
    I think its was a comba effort from state & feds - don't recall exactly
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  12. #287
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,438

    Bumped

    With the passage of the RESTORE Act, the Treasure Department is now preparing the rules concerning the distribution of the fines and penalties. The rules are expected to be released in the next couple of months. Following public view and comment on the rules and eventual publication in the Federal Register, our governor and his cabinet will be required to prepare a plan for how the monies will be used. As part of the rules, local governments will be required to prepare local plans for distribution and use. At our staff meeting today, The Big Cheese assigned me the task of preparing our local plan. Big Cheese initially wanted to hire a consultant to prepare the plan but The Man reminded him of the success we achieved with the in-house Comp Plan update. We'll also be reviewing projects for consistency with the comp plan and LDRs.

    Anyway, we're looking forward to this exciting challenge. It's going to be an interesting year.

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

More at Cyburbia

  1. Hello from the Gulf Coast
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Jun 2011, 10:24 AM
  2. The Michigan oil spill thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Aug 2010, 9:32 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 11:52 AM
  4. Gulf Coast visit end of June
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jul 2010, 3:21 PM