Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gulf Oil Spill Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I could send them to my (adjective) sister, whose birthday is coming right up. She'd consider it an insult.
    Did you mean (invective) sister?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Did you mean (invective) sister?
    She's indescribable.

Our brother was happily typing that his "coolest sister" was coming to see him, and she blasted that the reason I could pick up and go to Mardi Gras (AND the Katrina house rebuild) was that I have "trouble keeping a job." On Facebook. On bro's page, right after I had posted a whereabouts; all my friends got to read that.

Less than two weeks later she sent out a plaintive appeal for book money. She has a bachelors, almost a masters, and has been acquiring an associates on the five-year plan. The fact that colleges bill for tuition, and books must be purchased, every fall and winter term, apparently was not covered in her coursework. (I only have a BS degree, so I guess I am not as smart as her.)

When I advised her that stomping on someone prior to a fund-raising appeal is counterproductive, she got even: she unfriended me on FB.

Yep, issues. She would look askance at the gift of $20 in gas cards.

I am not either padding posts!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    LLC's and any corporate entity, can and often do pay owners a salary. Whether or not you do take a salary as an owner depends on a great number of things. That is why one hires a tax advisor...
    I agree, thats why you have an accountant and tax adviser. Mine was very good.

What do you have angainst entreprenuers? I don't know what gas station owners you know but the ones I have met are far from rich. They make a good living but they are not making millions or even hundred of thousands of dollars.
    I have nothing against entrepreneurs. I am one of them. Having been and being one, gives me a different perspective on many comments that are often heard coming out of us. Like when they/us complain about sales taxes. Technically, the sales tax was never "our" money to start with. The business is merely a collection conduit. The same with unemployment, FICA, and the rest of those other things that come out of a person paycheck. Those things were NEVER a business' money in the sense of it being "TAKEN" from the business person. Yet business people cry about this all the time.

Also, in your accounting you forgot to include the cost of merchedise and gas. This is not tax deductable. If you sell a half a million gallons of gas at $2.85 then your gross renevue from sales is $1,425,000. If you make $0.02 a gallon then your net is $28,500. That is hardly a receipe for riches.
    Wrong, the cost of the merchandise and gas may not be tax free, but they are deducted from the gross revenue, just like the child deduction or booze, or toilet paper. So the $2.05 million after all such deductions might be $1.01 million or whatever. It would depend on how good each individual business owner and accountant was.

Again, what is your proof that the poor downtrodden gas merchant is nearly in poverty? Mr. Darshan Dhaliwal certainly isn't. Where is your proof they only make 7/100th of a % on a gallon of gas? (.02/$2.85 = 0.007). Sorry, I am throwing a Red Flag for review on that BS story from the gas merchants. I don't believe it.

One of the best reason I have for not believing them, is that if we switch to a fuel source like hydrogen, that has less actual power per weight than gas, cars might have to stop 2 or 3 times more often for fuel. This would mean the poor downtroden gas merchant would make much more money by encouraging such a change. That gas merchant could/might possibly make the fuel on site, making him even more money. Except it is not happening that fast. This makes me think there is something wrong with the "selling Twinkies for tattered clothing cause I only make 0.02 cents per gallon wining we here out of all of them.

We can certainly make the gas station a location to start influencing the next generation fuel system policy. Here is an article about a GM Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engine. I do concede that the infrastructure to support them is the major hurdle. But who would you expect OTHER than the oil companies that own the distribution system to figure out how to become ENERGY companies. They would still make boat loads of money, which I am all for. Except when that means the complete destruction of environments.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Boy some of you mathematicians can hijack a thread like nobody's business.... sheesh.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Check out some of the editorial cartoons at: http://www.cagle.com/news/SpillBabySpill/main.asp
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Boy some of you mathematicians can hijack a thread like nobody's business.... sheesh.
    I do have some real questions about how this oil is going to be affecting the gulf and the eastern seaboard. I ask these because I do not know the answer and am truly curious and hopeful its not going to be catastrophic for everyone in the gulf and eastern seaboard.

1) Does the temperature of the water have any effect on the dispersal of the oil? Valdez happened in a colder climate so maybe the oil dispersion was not as rapid or effective as it will be in the warmer gulf?

2) When oil comes to shore on/in mangrove swamps, will wave action and tides allow seawater to "wash out" the oil better than on rocky shorelines?

3) Will oil in the gulf have a calming effect that could allow additional warming of gulf waters?

4) Will the dark oil have a warming effect on the waters even if there is no calming effect?

5) If the water is warmer, will it increase the likelihood of causing larger hurricanes in the gulf?

6) If it were to cause larger storms, would wave action then help disperse the oil on and off shore, or just spread the oil on the shore over a greater distance?

7) How threatened are manatee out of this situation?

8) Is there enough oil to foul east coast fisheries?

9) Will it have the effect of shutting down spring break in the US?
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fill up your gas tan then b*tch about it. Loser. We are all going to pay even if BP says it'll pay.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Fill up your gas tan then b*tch about it. Loser. We are all going to pay even if BP says it'll pay.
    Moderator note:
    Maister: Thought you joined the "F* this board" club? You've been warned plenty before....finding it difficult to stay away? Let me make it easy for you. Good bye.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG mentioned this earlier; yes, the lawyers are here.

PERDIDO KEY — No oil has washed ashore in Florida yet, but the state is already awash in lawyers seeking clients for lawsuits against those responsible for the blown-out well that's gushing 210,000 gallons of crude each day into the Gulf of Mexico.

"They're like sharks in the water," said Ray Boyer, manager of Maria's Fresh Seafood Market in Pensacola.

Owners and captains of charter boats docked in waterways along the Panhandle are well aware of the swarm of lawyers soliciting clients to file suit.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6698558.story

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My jurisdiction just declared a state of emergency, our EOC is at Level 1, the Coast Guard has taken over the public marina for a staging area....and the last report has the oil slick moving away from us.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ZG mentioned this earlier; yes, the lawyers are here.
    There's nothing like a good class-action lawsuit to make a lwyer's day.

"I love the smell of oil in the morning! It smells like ... money!"
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    http://communitiesonthehorizon.org/

Communities on the Horizon
    If the glossy sheen of the 2010 Gulf Coast oil spill is on your horizon, then the Communities Web site is for you. This easy-to-use site is full of resources for those in the sight line of the ugly spill and anyone else who's interested. With sections devoted to news reports, volunteer opportunities, maps, hotline numbers, and even jobs, Communities on the Horizon will help you keep on top of the encroaching contamination.
    found on Disaster Research
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    As it looks more and more likely that the oil is going to keep gushing for at least the next 3 months, what if the oil starts heading out into the atlantic? I have a bad feeling about this.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    As it looks more and more likely that the oil is going to keep gushing for at least the next 3 months, what if the oil starts heading out into the atlantic? I have a bad feeling about this.
    Kind of like building a nuclear reactor without including the OFF switch in the approved design because they have to save a few dollars somewhere
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Booms are being deployed in our area--and it's not predicted to reach us. I'll get out to the marina staging area tomorrow and get some pictures.

http://www.emeraldcoastphotoseast.co...istSubAlbums=0

Good news: puts the titty bar matters on the back burner.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Booms are being deployed in our area--and it's not predicted to reach us. I'll get out to the marina staging area tomorrow and get some pictures.
    Here's an idea. Let's string all those lawyers together into oil booms and make them useful and productive. They can be compensated by giving them all oil that they collect.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Good news: puts the titty bar matters on the back burner.
    I don't know... if it does reach you guys then your professional (and amateur, for that matter) fishermen are going to be depressed and looking for a place to drown their sorrows.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Given that oil AND the chemicals they are using to disperse the oil I'm not sure that I am going to be comfortable eating any seafood from the gulf for potentially my entire life.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are some pictures taken today of the staging area at the marina in Panama City FL.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    National Response Corporation?! Please tell me they aren't a division of Halliburton...

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    National Response Corporation?! Please tell me they aren't a division of Halliburton...
    Nope. SEACOR Holdings.

http://www.nrcc.com/company.html
    http://www.seacorholdings.com/aboutus_bizlines.html
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here is the latest we are hearing locally about this mess: BP does not want to seal the well (but with current technology, they can do this very easily). Because if the well head is sealed, they may never be able to pump another drop of oil from the reservoir below, more regulations will be put into place, and no more drilling will be allowed in the Gulf. And other oil companies operating in the Gulf are encouraging and supporting this position.

Registered
    May 2004
    Here is the latest we are hearing locally about this mess: BP does not want to seal the well (but with current technology, they can do this very easily). Because if the well head is sealed, they may never be able to pump another drop of oil from the reservoir below, more regulations will be put into place, and no more drilling will be allowed in the Gulf. And other oil companies operating in the Gulf are encouraging and supporting this position.
    I don't know that I believe this. Although I've also heard the rumour that the "chemical dispersants" they are using, that they wont reveal what they actually are because of "trade secrets" are actually just various toxic wastes they needed to get rid of secretly and this is a good opportunity for them to do so.

But what is in the news (from the congressional hearings today) is that BP knew the preventer wouldnt work because they have been falsifying the test results on the preventers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ^^ Great rumors. I don't know if they have any truth to them, but I would not be surprised. Dispersants are solvents, surfactants, and other chemicals that reduce the water-oil surface tension. Using "dirty" dispersants would be a great way to get rid of chemicals that are expensive to dispose of otherwise. Dispersants themselves are pollutants. Keep in mind that many of the superfund sites in this country are contaminated principally with solvents.

When I was working on the "American Trader" oil spill in Huntington Beach (a tanker had punctured its hull with its own anchor) we saw night-time IR photos of oil platform operators dumping their wastes into the spilled oil as it swirled around their platforms.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    May 2004
    And Transocean (the owner of the rig) made a 270 Million dollar profit from the insurance on the rig. Talk about motive

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from the Gulf Coast
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Jun 2011, 10:24 AM
  2. The Michigan oil spill thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Aug 2010, 9:32 PM
  3. Replies: 3