Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Federal government jobs - Navy community planner

Registered
    Jun 2007

Federal government jobs - Navy community planner

This job has been on the usajobs website for a while now. It is a "continuous" opening for a community planner with the Navy, with numerous potential vacancies around the country. When I checked a while ago, the announcement ran from April of last year until May of this year (2009-2010). It looks like they've recently renewed it through April of next year. From what I gather, they anticipate openings so they're just collecting resumes. I am not holding my breath about a response, but it would be nice to know what the odds are of hearing anything back in the next year.

I was just wondering if anyone has any insider or additional information about this position. Someone who has gotten a job or is in the middle of the process would be great. Any information about "continuous" federal openings like this would be helpful too.

Registered
    Mar 2004

He he he.....

I'm just going to get some popcorn and 3-D glasses and sit back and enjoy the show on this question

No idea...just apply and hope you get the job. The announcement looks kind of generic, but hey, who wouldn't want a GS 14 or GS 15 job right now......????

Skilled Adoxographer

This position is a posting for Naval Facilities Engineering Command, or NAVFAC.
    Acquisition is one of the primary business lines, and they are the financial people. From what I've heard, it is one of the more challenging jobs in NAVFAC. One of the other business lines, Asset Management, is where "classic" planners work, with community and facility planning for naval bases. So I would not waste your time applying for the Acquisition postings, especially since this is, as you note, one of those application dumps for continuous recruitment. If you want more info, send me a private message.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    If you don't have a background in the military or other federal job or a PhD in that field your chances of even being considered for an interview are somewhere between slim and none, especially in this economy. Sorry to burst your bubble but without some qualifying points you won't get considered. Also, the hiring process is about a year from what I hear for federal jobs of that level.
    @GigCityPlanner

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    If you don't have a background in the military or other federal job or a PhD in that field your chances of even being considered for an interview are somewhere between slim and none, especially in this economy. Sorry to burst your bubble but without some qualifying points you won't get considered. Also, the hiring process is about a year from what I hear for federal jobs of that level.
    I can't speak to the first statement, since I know less about the Acquisition positions. However, the hiring process doesn't have to be near that long, depending on the manner in which you are hired. The Navy has a Naval Career Intern Program (NCIP) which enables the Agency to hire quickly (a matter of a few months). Even with direct hires, once the decision to hire is made (post interview), it doesn't take a year to get on board. (For some basic info on the NCIP, see here: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/navycni/gr...nip_024759.pdf).

The NCIP isn't really for "interns" as we know them... these are full-time, mid-entry level positions, often in the GS-9 range, which is like 55k to 62k. It means you are signed on for two-three years and have at least two promotions by the start of your third year (perhaps up to GS-12). So if you see any posting for this program, jump on it, assuming your experience and income needs are such that you aren't looking for a senior level position.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys, its been helpful. A few follow up questions:

Tide, do you speak from experience about the qualifications. I've read the policies regarding the different GS levels and, while you need a PhD or extensive experience to land something 12 or higher, thats not the case for the lower levels. Has it become so competitive that PhD's are taking GS 9 positions?

That leads me to another question: If a fed agency has a vacancy that they could fill at multiple levels, how do they determine which level to fill it with. Do they generally go with the most highly qualified person that makes it through the process, or do they try to do it on the cheap and hire at the lowest grade that can get the job done? Or is it something entirely different?

Thanks again guys.

By the way, I've yet to develop a bubble to burst . Luckily I am still employed so I am not desperate yet, but my wife will be starting school in another state in the fall and if I dont find something local I will be forced to stay where I am and travel to see her and my son on the weekends. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs but it still beats the alternative.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Don't expect to hear back from those resume harvesting job posts. I guess it can't hurt to apply, though.

Look for job postings with very specific details such as duties, contact info, etc and with a set end to the application period that is not rolling or continuous. If the job posting is up for less than two weeks there is probably an internal applicant. 2-4 weeks with specific details means it is probably a real position that will be filled.

Applicants for these federal jobs are through the roof given the economy. Some positions the NPS would try to fill a few years ago would get maybe 5 decent, qualified applicants. Those same planning positions advertised now are getting 500 decent, qualified applicants.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Quote Originally posted by nyuhokie View post
    Thanks for the advice guys, its been helpful. A few follow up questions:

Tide, do you speak from experience about the qualifications. I've read the policies regarding the different GS levels and, while you need a PhD or extensive experience to land something 12 or higher, thats not the case for the lower levels. Has it become so competitive that PhD's are taking GS 9 positions?

That leads me to another question: If a fed agency has a vacancy that they could fill at multiple levels, how do they determine which level to fill it with. Do they generally go with the most highly qualified person that makes it through the process, or do they try to do it on the cheap and hire at the lowest grade that can get the job done? Or is it something entirely different?

Thanks again guys.

By the way, I've yet to develop a bubble to burst . Luckily I am still employed so I am not desperate yet, but my wife will be starting school in another state in the fall and if I dont find something local I will be forced to stay where I am and travel to see her and my son on the weekends. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs but it still beats the alternative.
    Based on my recent experience, they do this through examining the qualifications and negotiating with a potential hire. Check your inbox for a private message.
    Look for job postings with very specific details such as duties, contact info, etc and with a set end to the application period that is not rolling or continuous. If the job posting is up for less than two weeks there is probably an internal applicant. 2-4 weeks with specific details means it is probably a real position that will be filled.
    Better yet, attend an event (like APA conference) that has Navy presence at the employer display section and talk to their representatives. Like I said, the NCIP was designed to get people like yourself in quickly and efficiently, and you'll get more info about that speaking with someone personally.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    If you know someone on the inside, sometimes you can get a "name select" hire from the outside.

I'd just like to add that any information i have about this process is that of an outsider, and that it may not be entirely accurate. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Federal government jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 11:45 AM
  2. Federal government community planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Sep 2008, 8:56 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 9:34 PM