Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Real cover letter and resume critiques

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Dan, I think it would be interesting to see how many people would take part in a resume review section. It might just because of the economy, but I would imagine that we could get some good people to join and stick around for the "service".

From the short time this thread has been around it is already getting a lot of interest. Not sure how to make it safe for those who are posting their resume though - being a member with a certain number of posts to upload works, but if anyone can download that is a member, it still leaves a certain level of privacy issues. I guess if people are willing to give up some privacy for the advice, why not?

I just think that with this economy, it would be a service to help those who are on the hunt. Just my two cents. (And Tide, Veloise, Otis, Raf, etc. who know what they are talking about can all review and give feedback without losing their personal email).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    As someone who has reviewed about 50? resumes and portfolio from various students and professionals over the past few years, I don't think it's a good idea for several reasons.

1. People are going to dump their resumes onto the server in the hopes that it gets some feedback I don't mind providing advice to thse people, but I am doing them a favor. All I ask is some one-on-one interaction first. I need to know more about who is behind the resume/portfolio in order for me to give sound advice.
    2. It takes time to carefully craft a resume and it's an ongoing process throughout a career. By the time the person has emailed me their resume, it should be a polished and carefully prepared work. Over half of the resumes I have reviewed were very lacking.
    3. Cyburbia is much more than the resume review service. I would hope that people contribute to the ongoing discussions first. I still treat resume review as asking for a favor. I actually keep an active file of every resume and portfolio I have reviewed along with my comments (especially since my comments for portfolios alone can run several pages).
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    As someone who has reviewed about 50? resumes and portfolio from various students and professionals over the past few years, I don't think it's a good idea for several reasons.
    I respect your opinion, but feel that most people just need help - not a detailed review of who they are or what they stand for. General help is sometimes just as hard to come by as detailed help. I had a guy come into my office last week asking if we had any positions open - I told him unfortunately we don't presently, but will in the next year. I asked him if I could do anything else for him, and he asked if I would look at his resume. I wouldn't normally do this, but the guy seemed nice, and really was trying to do better for himself. I didn't spend an hour going over it, I just spent 15 minutes talking with him about how I would lay it out, where he should focus, and how he might better sell himself.

Although I agree that if you want a detailed review, with comments you might or might not get that here. But feedback is not something that would be lacking. I agree Cyburbia is much more than just a resume service, but it might be something that we can do to help out our fellow planners.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Payback time!

My latest edition is ready for review. Line forms right here, please.

(Send me a PM with contact info, and you'll be rewarded with my own personal e-dress and the attachment. And a tuba serenade, if you'd like.)

Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2010

To Tide

Hey Tide,

I have stumbled across your message back in May and I have sent my CV and cover letter for your critique as well!

Thanks so much!

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Anyone still interested in looking at a budding planner's CV?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DVito View post
    Anyone still interested in looking at a budding planner's CV?
    Can you send me your e-mail address via private message despite having only two posts?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    As a sorta mid-career planner, would a fellow Cyburbian be willing to take a look at my resume. I am mostly afraid that my resume is getting WAY too cluttered and long, it is two full pages. Thanks!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    PM Sent ... to you

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Hello everyone. If anyone is willing to review my resume as well, I would greatly appreciate your time and help? I am a recent graduate currently employed part-time for an environmental and engineering consulting firm; however, my hours are being cut each week. Therefore, I have revised my resume and currently working on a few cover letters. Again, I really appreciate anyone's help. Best of luck to all.

Registered
    May 2004

Bump

Several of us are still interested in resume reviews. Here's the spot to connect.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm happy to look them over, but I'm not going to claim to be an expert.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I can review resumes and cover letters. PM if interested.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Cover letter - P/T job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Feb 2011, 1:13 AM
  2. Cover letter
    Career Development and Advice