Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Things We Probably Didn't Know About You

Registered
    Feb 2004

Three Things We Probably Didn't Know About You

......and, sure, most of us probably don't really care, either. But hey, this is the FAC and what more pretext do you need to share some personal info to help build a sense of community?

I'll break the the ice first -

1. For some reason a childhood memory of the family travelling to Mackinaw Island and eating at a picnic table and me accidently leaving a Twinkie behind uneaten is particularly vivid (nooooo, that Twinkie went to waste! I shall atone the rest of my life by sending boxes of Twinkies to starving children in Mali...)

2. I changed majors 6 times as an undergrad

3. I spent some years travelling around the world but live two blocks from the house I grew up in (largely because of my travels)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Off topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ...1. For some reason a childhood memory of the family travelling to Mackinaw Island ...
    Mackinaw City
    Mackinac Island, Straits, Bridge (but pronounced like the "W")

Carry on.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    4. Oh, and my favorite saying is 'discretion is the better part of valor'.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    This sort of reminds me of a really old thread - Two Truths and a Lie.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm a very shy and would much rather blend into the wall paper in most social situations.

I was one of the charter (I cant believe there was not one when I got there) members of Campus Republicans at my university.

I have Synesthesia
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I came in second to Gary Busey in a Gary Busey look-alike contest.

I once killed a man for making me change my facial expression.

I can divide by zero, but I refrain from this since the last time I did this, Planck's Constant came into existence, which has been a thorn in my side ever since.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have two dogs that were both rescues: a mixed terrier we got when he was 3 that has seizures, and a 9 y.o. boston terrier whose previous owner had to move to an old folks home.

I married my high school sweetheart.

I can dislocate my thumb and rotate it 180 degrees. I don't do it much anymore because it hurts.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    1) Nearly every night for the last six years I have recited "The Finn Who Wouldn't Take A Sauna" for my son before he goes to sleep. Followed by "Good night; sleep tight; don't let the bedbugs bite. Love you, son."

2) My favorite movie is "Destry Rides Again."

3) I am left-handed.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2007
    1) I began the first half of my college career as a music education major. I wanted to teach high school band.

2) I drove between Alaska and Arizona 6 or 7 times during college.

3) In my next life, I'd like to be a pastry chef.
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I have a long schlong...
    I tend to over exaggerate...
    I think about sex a lot....
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. For some reason a childhood memory of the family travelling to Mackinaw Island and eating at a picnic table and me accidently leaving a Twinkie behind uneaten is particularly vivid (nooooo, that Twinkie went to waste! I shall atone the rest of my life by sending boxes of Twinkies to starving children in Mali...)
    I had a similar experience with fresh cannoli's from Mike's Pastry Shop in the North End of Boston, left behind in a hotel refridgerator. I still weep uncontrollably at the memory.

2. I changed majors 6 times as an undergrad
    Finance, economics, journalism, political science, public administration - you beat me by one, unless you include my graduate degree in geography.

3. I spent some years travelling around the world but live two blocks from the house I grew up in (largely because of my travels)
    Since 1984 I have not lived in any apartment or house longer than three years.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Both of my dogs - Italian Greyhounds - were rescued. Dog #1 eight years ago, dog #2 over Labor Day Weekend. Both are seniors.

2) I have a massive sweet tooth. However, I hate to bake sweets.

3) I am not a morning person!!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I absolutely hate maple syrup (the devil's saliva). It's the only food that I know of that actually causes me to gag.

I hit a tree while skiing during high school (yes, during - it was an "off" day for a few of us, though my parents had somehow forgotten when I called them from the hospital) Ever since then I have been able to take my left shoulder out of socket without help. (A cool trick at parties)

I've never broken a bone, though I've tried REALLY hard.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I won a radio contest saying this famous phrase backwards:
    BUN SEED SEASEME A ON PICKLES CHEESE LETTUCE SAUCE SPECIAL PATTIES BEEF ALL TWO. The odd part was the prize : a jar of vaseline!!!

Well that is one. I must not be very interesting or you know it all...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have told you guys enough already in other threads and posts so nothing new or different report.

Summary for the new Cyburbians -
    Old, short, balding, wear glasses, as RJ said I have a face for radio,
    single, no children, no ex, no debt, wishing I was back at the Jersey Shore.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Finance, economics, journalism, political science, public administration - you beat me by one, unless you include my graduate degree in geography.
    Poli sci, trumpet performance, psychology, philosophy, anthropology, geography.

Guess I have commitment issues, huh?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW
    Off-topic:
    Guess I have commitment issues, huh?
    If you did, how then did you end up married with children ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ......1. For some reason a childhood memory of the family travelling to Mackinaw Island and eating at a picnic table and me accidently leaving a Twinkie behind uneaten is particularly vivid (nooooo, that Twinkie went to waste! I shall atone the rest of my life by sending boxes of Twinkies to starving children in Mali...)
    That was your twinkie?? Wow we found it and gave it to a starving orphan who thanked us 1,000 times.

I live in the same zip code in which I was born. I've only lived in three, all contiguous.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2007
    1. I was attacked by a pelican when I was 3 years old in Florida.

2. I am left-handed.

3. I have 2 dogs a mini doxie (Actually my girlfriend's) and a bugg (a hybrid breed of a pug and a Boston Terrier). The bugg was adopted from a rescue organization.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Poli sci, trumpet performance, psychology, philosophy, anthropology, geography.
    Music education, GIS, planning, back to music, then back to planning (after taking my first teaching course... it scared the crap out of me!)... still wish I had put a little more time into considering interior design or geology.

Ah well... c'est la vie!
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    SAW
    Off-topic:

If you did, how then did you end up married with children ?
    Off-topic:
    so as not to dig myself in any deeper, I probably shouldn't mention we dated for 11 years prior to getting married?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    If I could be anybody on Earth for a couple of months, it would probably be Beatle Bob

I cry very easily (a particularly moving commercial for life insurance can turn on the tears for me)

I delayed finishing graduate school for a semester because a class was going to interfere with my bowling league
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My wife will make about 5 times as much income as I do in a couple years... and I am okay with that

I run long distances for relaxation. I would much rather go for an hour run than sit on the couch.

I can beat the original Mario Bros. in under 6 minutes (with warps).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2006
    1. Love claymation and think Gromitt and Wallace are gods.
    2. Love classical music.
    3. Love to cook
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I sang as part of a 3 week concert tour in Europe

I wrecked a car by drivng into a river (damn thing got in the way)

My birthmark rarely sees the light of day
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 9:21 AM
  2. What little OCD things do you do...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 26 Feb 2008, 1:40 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 9:41 AM
  4. two new things