Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: General impact analysis question - AICP exam study

Registered
    Dec 2009

General impact analysis question - AICP exam study

I'm in my final days of studying and can't seem to find an answer to a question I have regarding Fiscal Impact Analysis.

Is there any difference between a Fiscal Impact Analysis and Cost-Revenue Analysis? Most study material I've found says one is sometimes referred to as the other, but I've come across study questions that include both as answers.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    In my notes from the class I took 6 months ago, it says that Fiscal Impact Analysis is also called a Cost-Revenue Analysis. I have more notes about each but basically saying they're the same tool. Someone else might be able to expand.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Thanks Tresmo. I think they are and it must be a mistake on the Planetizen study exam, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. You never know what they're going to ask, and the less confusion for me, the better at this point.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    You're welcome. I took that class (and saved my materials) but can't find them at the moment to see the question you're talking about! You might also try asking on the Planetizen course message board or looking through questions from the last testing cycle. There were some people in the course 6 months ago that asked a LOT of questions and I feel like this particular test question came up.

But honestly, don't worry about it too much. Try to understand what each one is and leave it alone. Odds are there *might* be one question on it on the test, and it's unlikely they'll try to confuse you with some detail of the definitions of the two terms.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I think there IS a difference. I remember this topic in my study session from a few years ago. I will look it up in the next day or two and get back to you.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2006
    If there is a difference, it is that cost-revenue analysis is a more generic term than fiscal impact analysis. All sorts of industries perform cost-revenue analyses, while the term "fiscal impact analysis" is used to specifically describe the measurement of land use changes/capital improvements on governmental budgets. Burchell / Listokin / Dolphin define fiscal impact analysis as: "A projection of the direct, current public costs and revenues associated with residential or nonresidential growth to the local jurisdiction(s) in which this growth is taking place." They include the projection of population and employment changes in their definition.

So, if you wanted to be strict, you would call fiscal impact analysis a specific type of cost-revenue analysis.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I think JimPlans hit on it. Cost-Benefit has been in economics text books since I took the class. Fiscal Impact Analysis is an elaboration on the older Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Originally (30 years ago when they first came to be used) there was a big difference between the two. A Fiscal Impact Analysis was larger and broader in scope and was done on a city-wide basis by municipalities to assess the impact of land use and transportation decisions of general plans and similar documents. Cost / Benefit Analysis were done more on a project basis. Will the cost of the project outweigh the benefits when you stack up the financial costs versus the projected revenues.

I haven't seen a true FIS performed in about 20 years. Maybe there being done somewhere but I haven't heard much about them. Everything today is a C/B A and the terms have just melded into one another.

One of the first computer programs I ever ran was a citywide FIS for Rancho Cucamonga, California. It was printed out on green bar and was very hard to read. It was soon abandoned because it was too unwieldy and difficult to understand. Know one could actually figure out what it as telling us.

The Cost / Benefit Analysis I see today are pretty simple spreadsheets made up of this costs that and the revenues will be this with the end result being a positive or negative number.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    It isn't cost-benefit vs. fiscal impact that I'm confused on, but rather cost-revenue vs. fiscal impact. Study materials have said they're synonymous, but I see them as separate answers on the same question. Grrrr.....I guess I'll just let this one go and hope I don't see it on the 25th!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    To quote Shakespeare:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet;"

The difference between cost / benefit analysis and cost / revenue analysis is a matter of semantics. Likely that someone thought that coming up with another name for the same term (i.e. Zoning Ordinance versus Development Code) would make the whole idea sound more original.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by smccutchan1 View post
    To quote Shakespeare:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet;"

The difference between cost / benefit analysis and cost / revenue analysis is a matter of semantics. Likely that someone thought that coming up with another name for the same term (i.e. Zoning Ordinance versus Development Code) would make the whole idea sound more original.
    I would disagree, because cost/revenue analysis is concerned with monetary costs and monetary revenues, while cost/benefit analysis often attempts to count non-monetary costs and benefits (usually by assigning them monetary value). You wouldn't perform a cost/revenue analysis on the replacement of a city park with a school, for example, because there are no revenues associated with either use, but you could attempt to measure the "cost" of losing the park vs the "benefit" of gaining the school. Also, some organizations try to measure the "cost" of the loss of farmland by assigning a monetary benefit of aspects such as the enjoyment value of a viewshed, local cultural importance, etc.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Cost/Revenue: EMS station costs much less at the law enforcement center one mile from town.

Fiscal Impact: people will die waiting for EMS and health costs can rise drastically.

Of course my fair county chose the cost/revenue model.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by LTKS View post
    It isn't cost-benefit vs. fiscal impact that I'm confused on, but rather cost-revenue vs. fiscal impact. Study materials have said they're synonymous, but I see them as separate answers on the same question. Grrrr.....I guess I'll just let this one go and hope I don't see it on the 25th!

Thanks everyone for the input!
    Aren't you glad you asked?

Just move on to the next topic and don't worry about it. You'll go crazy and waste time you could be spending memorizing ten other things.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Just move on to the next topic and don't worry about it. You'll go crazy and waste time you could be spending memorizing ten other things.
    I am good example of that approach - 20 yr out of school & 13 yrs since I studied for that test.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

BANNED
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I think JimPlans hit on it. Cost-Benefit has been in economics text books since I took the class. Fiscal Impact Analysis is an elaboration on the older Cost-Benefit Analysis.
    I have also had a lot of confusion regarding the definition of these terms. I appreciate the great explanations that have been posted here. I now feel that I have a better understanding of this technical jargon. Thank you very much.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP exam study manual and CD
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 2:29 PM
  2. AICP exam study helps
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 12:32 PM
  3. AICP exam study CD
    Make No Small Plans