Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CSU Northridge or San Francisco State?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

CSU Northridge or San Francisco State?

which has the better urban planning program? i have been accepted already at san francisco, and probably will get accepted at csu northridge too.

i heard csu northridge has better college life, and is a better commuter school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    I would recommend SF State just based on the location. I had some friends who went there that said despite the fact that it is a commuter school it was still fun to live in SF. I can't comment directly on the quality of their Urban Studies program but the curriculum seems solid and it seems to have good connections with the planning community up there in the greater Bay Area.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Hmm tough call. Don't know many planners from either institutions. As Nick said they are both commuter schools but i guess it might come down to what your likes area. CSU northridge is located in subruban LA, Simi Valley area, much more urban than the central coast, but very dense suburban in development pattern. SFSU is located in the southwest area of the City, in a very ubran, transit access via muni metro and bart (located in Daly City) with lots of shopping and recreation opportunities. I have a few friends at SFSU and they say it is a blast but again, i guess it comes down to what are you going to get out of the programs.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    SFSU is not a planning school. I don't know anything about Northridge. Check this thread.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...371#post469371
    RJ is the KING of . The One

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    which job market has more jobs avaible for planners? LA or San Francisco metro?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    which job market has more jobs avaible for planners? LA or San Francisco metro?
    Check these sites:

http://www.norcalapa.org/pages/career/career_jobs.htm

http://www.calapa.org/en/jobs/search.asp

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    SFSU is not a planning school. I don't know anything about Northridge. Check this thread.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...371#post469371
    I see that you guys said the Urban Planning and Urban Studies program at San Francisco State is not that good. The only accredited schools btw are san jose state, cal poly slo, cal poly pomona, usc, ucla, and ucberkley. CSUN almost got it's accreditation last year, and it's kept trying to get it's accreditation. CSUN, is good for planning because that school's policy to make sure no student leaves without a job. And I guess LA has the better jobs. CSUN is also a urban planning and studies school.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    CSUN, is good for planning because that school's policy to make sure no student leaves without a job.
    I am amazed that they have such a policy. How do they track that you get a job? Do they automatically place you? To me this go against pretty much most colleges. Although they provide "aid" on getting a job, they don't do job placement for you.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I am amazed that they have such a policy. How do they track that you get a job? Do they automatically place you? To me this go against pretty much most colleges. Although they provide "aid" on getting a job, they don't do job placement for you.
    they AID or HELP you in getting a job, and they have good internship programs. and they keep records of where everyone has gone to get a job like most colleges.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...[snip]..... The only accredited schools btw are san jose state, cal poly slo, cal poly pomona, usc, ucla, and ucberkley. CSUN almost got it's accreditation last year....[snip]....
    First, all public universities in California are accredited. Second, cities and counties in California don't give a damn if the school is not accredited by APA--if that's what you mean. It doesn't make any difference. Nobody cares where your degree is from provided you know what you're doing. Ask any grad from ENSP at Sonoma State (yes, that's my school).

But you do your own thing, OK?

I'm done here.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    As others have mentioned, I wouldn't recommend SF State for planning. Pretty much everyone I work with went to school out of the state, at Berkeley, or at one of the Cal Polys. I don't much about Northridge - I have heard good things about the SJ State and Sonoma State programs, but don't know much about them.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    As others have mentioned, I wouldn't recommend SF State for planning. Pretty much everyone I work with went to school out of the state, at Berkeley, or at one of the Cal Polys. I don't much about Northridge - I have heard good things about the SJ State and Sonoma State programs, but don't know much about them.
    sonoma state doesnt have a planning program, it has a enviromental studies and planning.

csun is pretty good, it is the right school for getting a bachelors degree in urban planning. after i get my bachelors, if i have interned enough i will be able to get a job in the LA area in 2013 when the economy is better.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    sonoma state doesnt have a planning program, it has a enviromental studies and planning....[snip]....
    I wasn't going to comment again but I can't pass up this one. They don't have a planning program? Are you an idiot? You don't have a clue. The ENSP program at SSU has various areas of study. One of them is planning. Do some research before you make such a stupid statement. Oh, and stay in LA at Northridge--they don't want you in NoCal. You sound like the typical southern California-centric a-hole.

This time I'm really done....
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 14 Jan 2009 at 9:59 PM. Reason: engrish

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I wasn't going to comment again but I can't pass up this one. They don't have a planning program? Are you an idiot? You don't have a clue. The ENSP program at SSU has various areas of study. One of them is planning. Do some research before you make such a stupid statement. Oh, and stay in LA at Northridge--they don't want you in NoCal. You sound like the typical southern California-centric a-hole.

http://www.acsp.org/CareerInfo/Affil...berSchools.htm
    The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning has classified Sonoma State as an affiliate school of planning that offers planning classes, but no degree in planning. You could get a planning job possibley with the degree, but it is not a planning degree.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    ballsy dude. RJ can probably drop more planning knowledge on you faster than you can say i didn't impregnate my baby mama.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    i go to Northridge right now and its cool. The department is super small but the professors have solid contacts. They program is not the most challenging but if you push yourself to learn the material youll be in good shape. The program has been getting better to ever since we got a new department chair. He was the chair for Akron University in Ohio. If you got anymore questions just post them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    http://www.acsp.org/CareerInfo/Affil...berSchools.htm
    The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning has classified Sonoma State as an affiliate school of planning that offers planning classes, but no degree in planning. You could get a planning job possibley with the degree, but it is not a planning degree.
    Did you do any research into this program? Are you stupid, lazy or both? You need to dig a little. Here, I'll give you a hand.

http://www.sonoma.edu/ensp/programs/planning.html

Possibly get a planning job with this degree? What do you think I've been doing for over 20 years, harvesting nose gold?

Now I'm done. I promise.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Moderator note:
    Understand the sentiment, but the method was uncalled for.

Please, "attack the idea, not the person."
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Wow!!

Sounds like another Nor Cal person getting bent out of shape over nothing. The person made a mistake, I'm sure you can correct them in a calmer fashion.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by drjb View post
    ...[snip].... bent out of shape over nothing...[snip]...
    Clearly you haven't read through all of urban19's posts. Review his/her other posts. I think that will clear things up for you.

Registered
    Jan 2009

To your Corners!!

Everybody just calm down.

Is money an issue bc I know that sf state is expensive and CSUN is reasonable? I think you are splitting hairs. You need to go write down the pros and cons of going to each school and the pros and cons of NOT going to each school. Write everything you can think of, from social life to strength of program and job opportunities and where you want to end up living. Take alook at what you have written and make an informed decision. Because as my boy RichmondJake clearly demonstrates it does not really matter where you go its about who you are when you are there and what you do with it afterwards that counts...

Its not where you're at, its who you are that really matters.

And Im staying out of this

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry if I am out of line -
    But has it dawned on anybody that this thread just might be a continuation of his
    Can I get a job in one of these cities and afford to live in Agoura Hills, CA?
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...t=36113&page=2
    just with a twist ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Probably right...

Registered
    May 2010
    I'm in the same situation and use some insight from grads and professionals.

I'm applying for the upcoming spring term to a CSU or State School for Urban Studies/Planning.

SFSU is close to where I currently live but based on what I'm reading here, doesn't seem like a strong or well rounded program. I've lived in LA before and considering a move back and going to CSUN to complete the same program there. I've compared their degree programs and there almost identical which makes me curious as to which one is better than the other. A few people have mentioned a lack of PAB/APA accreditation, is this something that I should take into consideration or just move on?

My ultimate goal is to work for a real estate development firm doing site/land acquisition and project development. I've been in and out of school for some time, and worked in real estate which directed me to this field of study. Business was too broad and general, and Architecture was too technical. Urban Planning fit right in with my strengths and interests. I'm at a cross with concentrations and differences between land use planning, housing development, and urban planning. I understand they are interdisciplinary areas but in terms of gaining actual relevant knowledge to real estate development, I'm unsure of which one.

I want to get in the best school possible to reach this goal and make use of all resources available to me, including faculty, alumni, and curriculum. I've considered other schools like CSULB and CSULA that have geography programs with options in urban analysis but don't feel their adequate for my academic needs.

If anyone can provide some input on how to choose a school, and what program/concentration would be best, I would appreciate it a lot. I just found this site so I'll be here for a long time

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 May 2011, 8:46 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Oct 2010, 1:00 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jun 2010, 3:47 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:34 PM