Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYU or UIC?

Registered
    Apr 2010

NYU or UIC?

Hey,

So I have gotten into a few schools and narrowed my choices down to NYC Wagner's Urban Planning program and UIC Urban Planning and Policy program. I am stuck on which to choose. I feel like UIC's program is your classic planning program, with a set curriculum and that NYU's while housed in a school of public service, offers a more individualized approach. I think I want to specialize in infrastructure/ transportation with an interest in energy efficiency.

Any advice on choosing schools? I am really stuck and not sure which would be best.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I don't know much about NYU and admit I don't know a ton about UIC. But I was accepted to UIC and have been really disappointed with some administrative issues. They basically lost my application, so I had to contact them in order to get an answer if I was accepted. Then, when I finally got word (on April 15, the day that I needed to make my decision for the other schools) it was a pretty cold email. By contrast, I received phone calls or at least personal emails from the other schools I applied to. There were numerous issues on their website, which made it seem unprofessional. I still haven't been able to log in to see what my financial award is.

These (and some other issues) are relatively small things that probably shouldn't reflect on the program as a whole, but nonetheless left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    So full disclosure, I'm going to UIC next year. Sorry that happened FuturePlanner, I totally agree that even though it's sort of besides the point, those details can color your opinion. UIC is a large state program, and they definitely aren't winning any awards on making me feel like a unique and beautiful snowflake through the admit process.

That being said the program there is solid. The dept head (Kazuya) focuses on transportation/environmental planning, and the transportation center is one of the larger, well funded research groups. I probably wouldn't have said NYU or UIC would have been my top choices for what you're interested in.... but UIC has a lot of transportation/energy courses and the opportunity to take engineering classes. UIC is great for financial aid and employment and Chicago has a lower cost of living than NYC. NYU is much more expensive and I'm not sure if you can take engineering classes at NYU Poly or elsewhere. Both places are going to be great for internships. NYU has the advantage of being located in a great critical mass of planning schools. I don't think NYU is really pushing innovation in planning curricula (nor the Rudin Transpo Center), and I wouldn't characterize UIC's program as stodgy either (I actually applied there because they're a little more radical in their research than say UNC or UIUC). If you wanna PM me about UIC I could share some more of my experience thus far. What I know about NYU is more limited, based on some conferences I went to there, and some Wagner students I've met.

Registered
    Apr 2010
    FuturePlanner - where did you decide to go?

Thanks Jersbanks, I think I'll try and PM you to gather some more info. I am stuck because I currently live in Boston and WANT to move to NYC and go to NYU for numerous reasons but think that I SHOULD go to UIC for the program's strengths.

Man this process is hard...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by armeyerson View post
    I'm going to Harvard GSD. Good luck with your decision! Even though I realize my last post was pretty negative about UIC I agree with Jersbanks that it's a solid program, so either way I think you'll be in a good position.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by armeyerson View post

Thanks Jersbanks, I think I'll try and PM you to gather some more info. I am stuck because I currently live in Boston and WANT to move to NYC and go to NYU for numerous reasons but think that I SHOULD go to UIC for the program's strengths.

Man this process is hard...
    Couldn't PM you, but if you want: thedane61@yahoo.com
    Like FuturePlanner said, you've got two good choices... and if you want to be in NY and see yourself working there in the future (and can foot the bill) I would really recommend NYU.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Ditto to what jers has to say. I am going to UIC in the Fall because it's a solid program and Chicago is a great living laboratory. The large, bureaucratic state institution that it is is miles away from the tiny liberal arts undergrad experience that I had, but I think the program's qualities far outweigh any shortcomings the school as a whole may have.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    mikeisquixotic... kind of feel the same... plus coming from Rutgers I'm sort of used to it. I do admit I would like a way to contact other MUPPs for coordinating housing and stuff though.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    jersbanks,

I've been thinking about that too. The Urban Planning and Policy Student Association has a blogspot address. You may be able to get through to some current MUPPs that way to get something of a housing discussion started.

http://uppsa.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by mikeisquixotic View post
    jersbanks,

I've been thinking about that too. The Urban Planning and Policy Student Association has a blogspot address. You may be able to get through to some current MUPPs that way to get something of a housing discussion started.

http://uppsa.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for the link, I'll try and get them interested since starting a google group is nothing.

+ Reply to thread