Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Matching education and experience to stated qualifications [was: Do I have a chance?]

Registered
    Jan 2006

Matching education and experience to stated qualifications [was: Do I have a chance?]

A job is open that's been open for about two months now. Reading the job description I'm very interested in the job. The job requires a bachelors degree and seven years of experience, or any combination of experience and education. I have my masters and four years of experience, with a year of internship experience while in school. I've researched the position and looked over some of the work that has been done by the previous person(s) working in the position and feel very comfortable that I could handle the responsibilities. As far as my work experience, I feel very comfortable that I could show similiarities between my previousl work and the requirements of the position that adequately show I am competent enough for the job.

The question I have is does the fact that I had to use education and internship experience make this an uphill battle, impossible, or am I over thinking this altogether? Also, does it tell me anything (they are being picky, organizational disfunction, no one wants to work there...) as the position is open until filled and it has been open for almost two months in this economy?
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

No offense, but it is pointless to be spending the time on asking these questions. Just apply for it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Tailor your application package to fit the job, get it out the door, and move on to the next applciation. It's a numbers game in the end. 4 years or 7 years really isn't going to make THAT much different. At that level, the employer expects you to know your job. The extra 3 years might mean more consistent work in that speciality. If the job requires 7 years AND supervisory or project management experience, that's a whole different argument.

Did you see the job posting 2 1/2 months ago? If that's the case, why are waiting until now to apply?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    the position is open until filled and it has been open for almost two months
    Sorry to break your bubble, but this is government speak for "we have a set criteria for who we want, we may or may not have the budget, but if the 'right' person comes along, than 'maybe' we can give them an interview." It is also a way of keep money in a department budget. Pass and move on.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    No offense, but it is pointless to be spending the time on asking these questions. Just apply for it.
    I think there is some merit to the question (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it). I work in the region, and don't want to be seen as someone how is applying for jobs that I'm not qualified for. I don't want that reputation.

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Did you see the job posting 2 1/2 months ago? If that's the case, why are waiting until now to apply?
    I saw the posting, but due to personal things, was not able to apply. I've been working on my resume and cover letter to try and highlight that I'm the perfect candidate. I'm not as worried about the idea that my experience isn't good enough, but rather that someone in HR will toss it in the trash or getting a reputation for applying for jobs that others don't feel I'm qualified for. It's not that I need a new job, but just that this job seems to be a very good fit for my interests.

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Sorry to break your bubble, but this is government speak for "we have a set criteria for who we want, we may or may not have the budget, but if the 'right' person comes along, than 'maybe' we can give them an interview." It is also a way of keep money in a department budget. Pass and move on.
    No bubble to burst, this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    It could also be one of those revolving door agencies where staffing is fluid, and the planner du jour lasts a few months. There are old threads on here (somewhere) listing some of them. I know several people who've been the planner in one township.

One agency lists a job for which I've applied several times over the last five years. No reply, ever. The position vanishes from their website and the on-line ads, and a few months later it's baaacckkk. Considering the stunt pulled by their administration last week ("please, volunteer community band, you're our last resort to play at our building dedication?" and afterwards, "oh gosh, we don't have any money, we can't pay you the $100 we promised"), I'll be surprised if they ever sort it out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Dec 2013, 2:01 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 7:42 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Dec 2009, 5:22 PM
  4. Experience Vs. Education
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jan 2005, 10:01 PM