Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning consolidations in Ontario

Registered
    May 2010

Zoning consolidations in Ontario

HI
    Newbie here...
    Can someone tell me where the best place would be to ask questions related to planning regulations (zoning consolidations especially) specific to Ontario, Canada?
    It could be a well deserving question for any place in N America also.
    thanks

Moderator note:
    Moved from the Friday Afternoon Club, per the user's request.

I expect the OP will return and ask the specific question(s) later.

Registered
    May 2010

The specific Question

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    My question is...
    When a Municipality is "consolidating by-laws" ie: let's say from 6 former municipalities, into one by-law
    Is the Municipality allowed to "introduce" specific by-law changes that would negatively affect residential neighbourhoods, without specifically notifying the public about it?
    As an example... Change a "use" by adding Rooming houses to residential neighbourhoods, which would allow the construction of hundreds of student residences on adjoining vacant land in an existing and well established neighbourhood... and still only serve upon the public the "General legal requirement" of notifying the public that by-laws are being compiled and that their input is requested?
    I'm sorry for such a long question, but I'm trying to addres the issue specifically. thank you

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When consilidating multiple by-laws into one new one, there will be changes, - as one by-law's permitted uses in a zone are not going to be the same as others. So in one residential zone in one by-law a rooming house may have been permittted, while in another by-law a similar residential zone may not have permitted it. When you consolidaating in cases like this a decisiion has to be made in what to do i.e., Do you take away the right in one area where they had the flexibility and make any existing uses Legal but not conforming, or do you permit the use but permit in a larger area? Recognize that there will be many such decisions to make in a consolidation...

With respect to notice, they have to give notice, but they likely gave it in a very general manner. Because it is a consolidation listing every change in this case would be onerous and difficult.
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

Registered
    May 2010
    thanks... if I can explain it a bit more...
    In this case Rooming & boarding houses was only allowed downtown in Commercial zone and at best the other by-laws did not speak to rooming.
    Adding this use to Residential areas is totally new... none of the by-laws allowed R & B on any residential lands.
    Being quite a change in policy, and I'm wondering if changes such as this are allowed under planning regulations?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Maple, Ontario
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 9:13 PM
  2. hello from Ontario
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Sep 2008, 6:38 PM
  3. Morning from SW Ontario
    Introduce Yourself