Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Residential planning

Residential planning

Hi everyone,

I'm about to commence my urban planning course in March and I have found that my course can lead to the interesting career path, Residential Planning. I looked up this career path on the internet but only little information was found. I was just wondering if anyone would know anymore information about Residential Planning.

Thank you

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    You're going to need to be more specific about what you think "Residential Planning" is. Site planning, subdivision design, zoning criteria?

Oh, I see what you mean. Thank you. I guess I can research into those areas

Registered
    Mar 2009
    When people say residential planning I think of those master planned communities with everything that is needed and wanted within the residential area. I.e. Schools, roads, shops, local clubs. When that term pops up I also consider zoning and subdivisions an important aspect.
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Registered
    Jul 2002

Residential planning

Or you can go micro and work upwards. Can also include Rural Residential and the Residential component of a dwelling on a farm or large lot.)
    Or then the urbanised residential - house, units attached or detached, residential flat building, mixed use, serviced apartments, studio apartments, within factories, within tourism complex ie manager's residence etc then Site constraints (slope, engineering services, access, services, garbage cololection, street numbering, vegetation for crime minimisation), dwelling desing, meeting the Building Code of Australia - ie different types of building classifications - fire separation, sound insulation, stairways, balustrades etc), multi use (dwelling or holiday dwelling use depending on time of year)

Go for a walk to your favourite place - look, feel, experience - Qn? where are you, what do you like - why? are your feelings objective or subjective, how do you want the building form or use changed...why, for who's gratification or financial advantage. Was the route there easy, did you walk or drive, did you have to cross a road, driveway, pedestrain path etc. Understanding whether your views are what the general voting populace is trying to achieve both holistically and practically.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Jan 2007, 12:57 PM
  2. Residential Ponds
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 12:57 PM
  3. Residential TIFs
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Aug 2006, 6:21 AM