Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Implement dealers and single-name signage

Registered
    Dec 2008

Implement dealers and single-name signage

Why is it that implement dealers are about the only business I have run in to that don't allow for multiple brands on their signs? For example, a local implement store applied for (and was granted) a variance to the sign ordinance because "Brand X doesn't allow other brands on its sign or sign framing". What is the history and/or reasoning behind this policy. I can't imagine a Walmart having a sign for every brand it carries, nor can I image a Home Depot with tens of signs, yet implement dealers consistently have multiple, single-branded, signs.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Why is it that implement dealers are about the only business I have run in to that don't allow for multiple brands on their signs? For example, a local implement store applied for (and was granted) a variance to the sign ordinance because "Brand X doesn't allow other brands on its sign or sign framing".
    They do. Your BoA/ZBA just got suckered by one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Farm implement and heavy equipment brands, along with auto brands, prefer to have a freestanding single-branded sign to themselves. I've seen many an auto dealer claim that "GM/Ford/Chrysler won't let us put all the brands on one sign. They require separate signs for each brand" before a BoA/ZBA, but I've also seen many auto dealers with single freestanding signs that list every brand, including those from competing manufacturers.

Remember, businesses need to conform to the regulations of their host community, not vice versa. Corporate branding preference is not a legitimate hardship.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Remember, businesses need to conform to the regulations of their host community, not vice versa. Corporate branding preference is not a legitimate hardship.
    You're preaching to the choir, Dan. I was pretty shocked so see it approved.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The more AutoDealer signs the better!

(it is for my local economy)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Oct 2012, 11:43 AM
  2. Any wheeler dealers out there??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Mar 2005, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 25 Jun 2004, 7:58 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jan 2001, 9:30 AM