Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: USC 2010: what to expect

Registered
    Oct 2009

USC 2010: what to expect

I've decided to attend the USC (Southern California) Masters of Planning program, and I'm starting in the Spring Semester, 2010. Anyways, I'm just wondering what to expect from the program and what my life will be like there. Really any information is useful.

As a side note, if anyone has any information on housing options for grad students near campus, that would be extremely helpful. Obviously, I'm asking the University and other contacts about this as well, but it never hurts to get a fuller picture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by aStoryTold View post
    I've decided to attend the USC (Southern California) Masters of Planning program, and I'm starting in the Spring Semester, 2010. Anyways, I'm just wondering what to expect from the program and what my life will be like there. Really any information is useful.

As a side note, if anyone has any information on housing options for grad students near campus, that would be extremely helpful. Obviously, I'm asking the University and other contacts about this as well, but it never hurts to get a fuller picture.
    Did you go to the Open House in April?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    No, I've been working in Korea since October '09

Registered
    Aug 2010
    aStorytold, what are your stats when you were applying to graduate school? USC is one of my dream schools to get into and I want to see how competitive I am.

And how is the program thus far? I am more interested in the policy side of planning and am curious to hear your thoughts with USC.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    From what I've heard from current students, the courses are demanding.

jchanrnr, it might help to apply for a dual program with the MPA. If your academics are weak but have strong work experience you could admit into the MPA and switch to MPL. If you're into policy then this program will suite you. There are quite a few MPL\MPP students in the program.

Registered
    Aug 2010
    MPA? I heard that program is even harder to get into and most of the time, they would prefer students with professional background.

I just graduated last June, so my work experience is not up to par with the applicant pool.

My stats:
    560 V, 650Q, 4 in writing.
    3.5 GPA, last 2 years
    close to a year's worth of planning-related work.

Do I even stand a chance? lol
    Where should I beef up my stats?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I was accepted last fall with a 3.6 from Wayne State University in Detroit
    1200 GRE 4 writing.

I had worked for several years for a national nonprofit, performed research at the Center for Urban Studies in Detroit, and interned with the Detroit Planning Commission.

I chose McGill University instead. The 55,000 price tag scared me from USC.
    So far I am happy at McGilll.

I also wanted to try to head back East. USC's network alumni network did not appear to be as strong on the East Coast.

USC

Quote Originally posted by aStoryTold View post

Hi aStoryTold,
    I hope you could help me figure out what is going on with me. I was admitted to USC for Fall 2010. After accepting the admission result, I asked Ms. Diana to defer my enrollment to Spring 2011 and got a reply that she would update my application for Spring 2011. I sent in an updated resume to her email as well. However, until now, I've not received an email reply from the SPPD admission office not to mention an admission letter. Does it mean I'm rejected? Spring semester is coming and it makes me uneasy. I want to have some information of deferral process from your expreience. Your advice will be helpful

aStoryTold---try to find some graduate student blogs

alicia12---re-read the fine print. Many acceptance letters include the clause "acceptance is for the semester indicated and that semester only". Better get in contact with USC admissions directly.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Top 10 in 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Dec 2010, 2:03 PM
  2. What to expect in planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 57
    Last post: 24 Mar 2010, 2:33 AM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last post: 02 Nov 2007, 2:34 PM