Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to...

Registered
    Feb 2004

Whatever happened to...

The idea of this thread is to talk about things that used to a major part of our culture but just seems to have disapeared. Perhaps you know why, perhaps not.

I'll start by mentioning Sealtest. This used to be a major American dairy company (in fact my grandfather was a milkman for them probably back in the '50s) but I now longer see their products on the shelf.

I'm sure their are many other products Cyburbians remember from their youth but seemed to have vanished into thin air. Hopefully someone can provide some insight or at least share the recollection.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Remember trolls? I had a ton of those things. For a while, it was ridiculous, all kinds of themed trolls, accessories, etc. Where did they go?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'll start by mentioning Sealtest.
    I remember Sealtest.
    The Google answer is that they were taken over by a Canuckistanian Corporation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealtest

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Remember trolls? I had a ton of those things. For a while, it was ridiculous, all kinds of themed trolls, accessories, etc. Where did they go?
    Probably to the same place the Smurfs went
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Most freight trains I see now are just unit trains, with tens of freight cars of a single type; coal cars, flatbed cars loaded with containers, and piggyback cars. I don't often see the freight trains of old, with a mix of boxcars, flatcars, tank cars, gondolas, and so on.

Yesterday I saw an old-school freight train with a mix of cars, many bearing the names of "fallen flag" railroads: Penn Central, Conrail, Southern, Santa Fe, and so on. It would have been a normal sight 15 years ago, but now it struck me as being out-of-the ordinary.

Cab Over Engine (COE) semi-trucks seemed to have gone the way of the Carrier Pigeon, I suppose for fuel economy reasons.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Cab Over Engine (COE) semi-trucks seemed to have gone the way of the Carrier Pigeon, I suppose for fuel economy reasons.
    Weird, as this seems to be only a North American thing. In Europe, 'cabovers' are all that is seen, likely due to much stricter vehicle length limits.

Also, most freight trains that I see here are of the mixed carload variety, although I do see my share of unit trains, too.

Other things that I liked and miss are dot-matrix printers, mechanical clocks, 'flip-leaf' clock radios, onion-skin paper based GIS, good hand-drawn maps, glass jars of things and cathode-ray tubes (and vacuum tube electronics in general).

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Carrols hamburgers....taken over by Burger King.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    ... onion-skin paper based GIS, ... vacuum tube electronics in general.Mike
    1- The good 'ole McHargian overlays.
    2. Had a Fishers FM only receiver that had a tubes and one of them that displayed strength of signal/tuning.

What happened to Fisher Stereo ?

Registered
    May 2005
    Strangely, the trolls have re-emerged as a kids show and merchandising bonanza. They have been reconfigured and re-branded as a questionable fusion with Bratz dolls and Anime, meaning they have huge eyes and fashionable urban-chic-bordering-on-sexy clothing. Oh, and they're superheroes, too.

Now they are called Trollz and they live in Trollzopolis.

This is a description of the show from a New Zealand site: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/600762

And this is what they look like. A far cry from the pencil-topping creatures of yore:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trollz5_c.jpg  
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Gimp? Snap bracelets? And beanie babies? And... the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?

And what ever happened to FM radio?? I know that media consolidation really gutted it, but it's literally a dead zone these days. I probably haven't turned on the radio in 4-5 years. It's damned difficult to find quality new music these days.

I could name a million things, but the closer I get to 30, the more nostalgic I get for "how it used to be".

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Mood rings? Pet rocks? And what about those awful flavor straws?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Pop rocks! Or is the old rumor true: they pulled them off the market after Mikey ate them and exploded?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Pogo-balls and Skip-It

I haven't seen them for ages or heard anyone mention them.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Pop rocks! Or is the old rumor true: they pulled them off the market after Mikey ate them and exploded?
    Snopes said that that was a lie. Those trolls are very, very disturbing. Does everything have to be sexualized now??
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Snopes said that that was a lie. Those trolls are very, very disturbing. Does everything have to be sexualized now??
    In my worst Russian accent "Velcome to Vorld" I agree, things have gotten out of hand when we have to sexualize everything to try to sell it. Next then you know, they'll do it to veggies. Man, am I starting to sound like an old fart.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I have four questions to "whatever happened to..."

1) POGS? Remember those. All i can think about is Milhouse showing Bart some "alf pogs."

2) Cassette Tapes Yea i know, the CD replaced them, but like records, its always fun to find a stash of classic tapes such as: MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" and "The California Raisins Christmas Sing-a-longs"

3) The California raisins Speaking of Rasins, whatever happened to them? Did global warming destroy them?

And finally The Noid Yes, the Noid. He was everywhere. Pizza boxes, stickers, god even a nintendo game. What happened to this guy? Was he cast in that Michael Jackson video "Leave Me Alone" never to be seen again because he was molested by Michale on the set? Or did he just go to some commercial retirement home along with other greats such as the Budweisers frog, spud Mckensize, or the Hamburgular?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Dec 1998

Permanent Record

Your "permanent record." I'm not sure if this falls in this category, but I remember as a kid, teachers and adults would warn that certain bad things that you would do would be placed on your permanent record and eventually keep you out of the good schools or jobs. Now, I realize that it was a ruse to keep you in line; however, I think the closest thing to a permanent record that we may have is our credit reports.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Your "permanent record."
    Ask any married guy and he'll tell you that women are the keepers of every man's permanent record.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Most freight trains I see now are just unit trains, with tens of freight cars of a single type; coal cars, flatbed cars loaded with containers, and piggyback cars. I don't often see the freight trains of old, with a mix of boxcars, flatcars, tank cars, gondolas, and so on.

Yesterday I saw an old-school freight train with a mix of cars, many bearing the names of "fallen flag" railroads: Penn Central, Conrail, Southern, Santa Fe, and so on. It would have been a normal sight 15 years ago, but now it struck me as being out-of-the ordinary.
    Along those same lines, what about the caboose? Guess they just don't need them anymore.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by vagaplanner View post
    Along those same lines, what about the caboose? Guess they just don't need them anymore.
    With two-man (er, person) road crews, they were a major expense that was not needed anymore by the railroad companies. The two ride up front and use a two-way radio-telemetry device so they can monitor and still control the back end of the train. One still does see cabeese in use on local switch and transfer runs, though, as they are useful if those crews (usually three or four guys) have to make a lot of long back-up moves.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    And finally The Noid Yes, the Noid. He was everywhere. Pizza boxes, stickers, god even a nintendo game. What happened to this guy? Was he cast in that Michael Jackson video "Leave Me Alone" never to be seen again because he was molested by Michale on the set? Or did he just go to some commercial retirement home along with other greats such as the Budweisers frog, spud Mckensize, or the Hamburgular?
    Yet another creation from an ad agency. If memory serves, Domino's (the pizza co repped by The Noid) switched agencies.

They changed out head management, too.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Your "permanent record." I'm not sure if this falls in this category, but I remember as a kid, teachers and adults would warn that certain bad things that you would do would be placed on your permanent record and eventually keep you out of the good schools or jobs. Now, I realize that it was a ruse to keep you in line; however, I think the closest thing to a permanent record that we may have is our credit reports.
    I went back to my old school a few years ago and got a coopy of my permanent record. All that was in there were my grades.

Grades weren't as good as I remember either. I do remeber a lot of report cards said "Captain Worley is not performing to the best of his abilities."
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Pogs, I remember them back when I was in 5th grade. Last time I was at my parents house I remember seeing a bag of them in the back of my old closet. We used to play with them on days we couldn't go out on the playground. They only lasted maybe a year (like most fads).

Being a teenager in the late 90's, I remember a god-forsaken drink that was called Orbitz. It was some sort of nasty clear fruit flavored beverage with little "fruit" flavored gelatinous balls. I think it was supposed to mimic a lava lamp. Wow it was disgusting!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Whatever became of all that astronaut paraphernalia (byproducts of the space race)? Things like Tang, space-themed breakfast cereals, Space (food) sticks, metallic-looking clothing? Do they at least still sell Tang?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 9/11: What Really Happened?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 04 Sep 2011, 5:29 PM
  2. Reality TV: what happened?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 8:35 PM
  3. Whatever Happened to......