Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Happy Hour

Registered
    Jan 2005

Happy Hour

“Happy Hour” does not exist in Massachusetts, at least in legal status. Back in 1984 the Commonwealth decided to ban all Happy Hour bar promotions, believing that people soaking up cheap alcohol after work were contributing to an increase in fatal DUI incidents. No more $2 pitchers, 25 cent cans, “mexican madness” tequila give-aways, beer pong, or “drink free until you pee” contests (the ban applies also to allowing any games involving drinking). The Happy Hour ban essentially outlaws any form of drink promotion other than ongoing weekly specials, and as a result Mass. isn’t the easiest place to find cheap drinks. I suspect that killing Happy Hour also meant a reduction in people going out for after-work drinks, unlike Mass.’ western neighbor where Happy Hour is a HUGE deal and after-work bar gathering has a far greater social significance.

How big of a deal is Happy Hour in your neck of the woods? Are you a Happy Hour regular?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Can't promote it as "Happy Hour" here either (City ordinance not State), but it's still a pretty popular thing around these parts to sit outside in a beer garden and drink cheap beers after work when the weather is warm enough.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Happy Hours were made extinct by state law around here in the same time frame. I do however recall that in the late 1980's some of the bars had these nickle or dime beer nights which were pretty much the same thing.

I recall being just barely underage and we would go to them and fill a table with smallish cups of beer for a buck then tip another buck to the waitress.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Oh we have happy hour. Great deals on drinks and appetizers.

I don't really go because it is always odd times like 3:30-5pm. Who really wants cheap wings and beer at 4pm?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Who really wants cheap wings and beer at 4pm?
    Who doesn't.... nah i agree that is way to early for happy hour

Registered
    May 2005
    There is Happy Hour in Michigan. You just have to follow certain rules.

1. No all-you-can drink for $____ specials.

2. No free drinks.

3. No 2 for 1 specials.

Not sure how thoroughly it's enforced.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I was actually told by my first real boss in planning that anytime I (a newbie) go out with department heads, commissioners, etc. I always be absolutely certain to be polite and order 1 drink, but leave it at that. Nothing more humiliating then getting drunk in front of the chairperson! For that reason, I am thankful that happy hours aren't a normal thing here.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2004
    We have em. I take advantage.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We have 'em here in FL but normally we don't take advantage unless we're travelling. Just cuz when we're at home, we don't eat dinner out much. Although there is a little Mexican place here in town that has Happy Hour and serves a mean margarita then...

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh yes.....

Here in the land of alcoholism our happy hours run from 2PM or 3PM to 6PM or 7PM daily.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Resources/G...nts/cmexpl.pdf
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    “Happy Hour” does not exist in Massachusetts, at least in legal status. Back in 1984 the Commonwealth decided to ban all Happy Hour bar promotions, believing that people soaking up cheap alcohol after work were contributing to an increase in fatal DUI incidents. No more $2 pitchers, 25 cent cans, “mexican madness” tequila give-aways, beer pong, or “drink free until you pee” contests (the ban applies also to allowing any games involving drinking). The Happy Hour ban essentially outlaws any form of drink promotion other than ongoing weekly specials, and as a result Mass. isn’t the easiest place to find cheap drinks. I suspect that killing Happy Hour also meant a reduction in people going out for after-work drinks, unlike Mass.’ western neighbor where Happy Hour is a HUGE deal and after-work bar gathering has a far greater social significance.

How big of a deal is Happy Hour in your neck of the woods? Are you a Happy Hour regular?
    Massachusetts needs to turn in its man-card.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    There is Happy Hour in Michigan. You just have to follow certain rules.

1. No all-you-can drink for $____ specials.

2. No free drinks.

3. No 2 for 1 specials.

Not sure how thoroughly it's enforced.
    Most of the bars I go to still have happy hour of some sort. Whether it's a corporate place like Buffalo Wild Wings or hole-in-the-wall type places... One thing I have noticed though is that the advertised happy hour "deals" are usually worse that the regular price for the larger glass if you calculate it out by the ounce.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LP's story hour
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 1:51 PM
  2. Big box retail 24 hour operation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Jan 2008, 11:14 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Mar 2005, 11:10 PM