Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plant identification

Registered
    Feb 2004

Plant identification

Anyone confirm plant id? Want to say poison ivy but what's throwing me is the finely toothed leaves. Normally p.i. looks larger toothed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree this is certainly not poison ivy, but I can't identify it off the top of my head from this photo.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Leaves look a lot like blackberry, but I can't see enough stem to tell
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Are you trying to test us, or do you live someplace so small you can't find a library book to figure out what this is?

On a related note, a few weeks ago I installed a bird feeder near the dining room window, and we've seen a blue jay, a cardinal couple, and a couple of so far unidentified birds there. I got a FL bird book and still can't figure out what some of them are. They're so active and gone so fast.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hard to tell, but they might be raspberry. Blackberry seems less likely.

To see if they are poison ivy, rub them on one side of your face. If that side of your face breaks out in itching, oozing blisters, and the other side doesn't, then it's probably poison ivy.

They don't look like poison ivy to me.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Definitely not Poison Ivy. Raspberries do have leaves like that. Is it developing woody stems? Any thorns on the stems? There was this perennial plant that grew wild in NJ that I would get a lot on my old property that also had leaves like this. We called it Snakeroot, but I never knew the Latin name.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Looks like a first year blackberry or raspberry.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I agree with the blackberry or raspberry guesses. I have some growing in a spot in my yard and that's what it looks like. Unfortunately, the birds and the other animals seem to like to get to it before it ever gets mature enough for any berries to grow (that, and it's right in the path of my lawnmower).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I agree with everyone else. I would put money down on rasberry or blackberry. Depending on the variety, these two are virtually indistinguishable until they make fruit. And as someone said, the thorns on the stem are a give away. And a silvery underside to the leaf.

But it's not poison ivy. The leaves would be shinier and without the serrated edges.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2002

plants

It's fore sure not sinsemilla man.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    To see if they are poison ivy, rub them on one side of your face. If that side of your face breaks out in itching, oozing blisters, and the other side doesn't, then it's probably poison ivy.
    omg, that was awesome!!!

It's hard to tell from the photo because there's no context. Is it a tree, a shrub, a plant, a vine, etc. They look like they are from an astilbe (a perennial), but it's hard to tell without seeing more of the plant.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I don't know what it's called but it's NOT raspberries and it's NOT poison ivy (I asked a friend who was a horticulturalist that because I had the stuff all over my yard). It may be a solid leaved relative of Bishop's Weed, which has variegated leaves and is sometimes used as a ground cover. However, it IS one of the most persistent weeds on the planet IMO. It deserves a good dousing in weed-killer whenever spotted before it takes over your garden.

PS -- I am NOT an advocate of lots of pesticides, but that's the only way to get rid of this stuff. It's nasty.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I don't know what it's called but it's NOT raspberries and it's NOT poison ivy (I asked a friend who was a horticulturalist that because I had the stuff all over my yard). It may be a solid leaved relative of Bishop's Weed, which has variegated leaves and is sometimes used as a ground cover. However, it IS one of the most persistent weeds on the planet IMO. It deserves a good dousing in weed-killer whenever spotted before it takes over your garden.

PS -- I am NOT an advocate of lots of pesticides, but that's the only way to get rid of this stuff. It's nasty.
    I concur. I have seen it before and I doubt that it is (young) raspberry.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well that cetainly is a wide variety of answers! I would not bet rubbing it on my face with that variety.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    PI is way shiny and no serration of edge.

I'm willing to guess it may be one of several sumac species, some of which are short. The pic is way close.

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't know, man - I'm still convinced its rasberry/blackberry. Domestic and wild varieties can have different leaf patterns so it may not look like others you have seen.

Look at these images:
    http://www.plant.photos.net/images/8..._raspberry.jpg
    http://www.inmygarden.org/archives/b...af-413x300.jpg

These plants are also hard to control. My brother lives in Seattle and they are EVERYWHERE in the parks and open spaces.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Are you trying to test us, or do you live someplace so small you can't find a library book to figure out what this is?
    Yeah, Maister, what's the scoop? Are you just using us part of your fiendish plan to put book publishers and libraries out of business by just taking a picture and asking your friends? My God, have you NO scruples?

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    On a related note, a few weeks ago I installed a bird feeder near the dining room window, and we've seen a blue jay, a cardinal couple, and a couple of so far unidentified birds there. I got a FL bird book and still can't figure out what some of them are. They're so active and gone so fast.
    What, you can't shoot them first and then identify them?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ^^^ That reminds me of story I heard about a species of fur seal that was thought to be extinct. Upon discovering a few of them at an island off of Mexico a naturalist shot them so he could take their skins to prove they weren't extinct. Or hadn't been, anyway.

Fortunately there were others at the island and the species is recovering.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Yeah, Maister, what's the scoop? Are you just using us part of your fiendish plan to put book publishers and libraries out of business by just taking a picture and asking your friends? My God, have you NO scruples?
    Curses! Foiled again! And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids! [/scooby]

Registered
    Jul 2002

plants

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Curses! Foiled again!
    Oilcan harry.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Oilcan harry.
    You mean I combined Mighty Mouse and Scooby quotes and I didn't provide proper accreditation and/or footnotes?!

The lesson here is becoming more and more clear - Mothers don't let your babies grow up to be Maisters.

Registered
    Jul 2002

plants

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You mean I combined Mighty Mouse and Scooby quotes and I didn't provide proper accreditation and/or footnotes?!

The lesson here is becoming more and more clear - Mothers don't let your babies grow up to be Maisters.
    Could have been Snively Whiplash, definitely NOT Boris Badernov.

Registered
    May 2005
    Could have been Snively Whiplash, definitely NOT Boris Badernov.
    People, people, where do you get your pop culture literacy? Everyone knows its SNIDELY Whiplash.

Zoinks!

Are we off-topic yet?

Registered
    Jul 2002

plants

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    People, people, where do you get your pop culture literacy? Everyone knows its SNIDELY Whiplash.

Zoinks!

Are we off-topic yet?
    And it's Badenov. My bad.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    And it's Badenov. My bad.
    Off-topic:
    Well, there is Boris's cousin Maister Badernov, but he's more of a jerk-off than a villain.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 04 May 2013, 9:02 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Sep 2008, 2:45 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Sep 2008, 2:36 PM