Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread

We are all getting older (well, some of us more so than others). Who is going to let us know when you die? Have you designated somebody? We need to know. Serious stuff, folks.

EDIT: I gotta go pee now.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 23 May 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    WHAT? SPEAK UP!
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'll ask Harry Houdini to let you know.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There are some pretty interesting things about this for online communities now. A new company will keep your passwords until you die and they will send them to whoever you designate, so all your online life can be viewed by those that live on.

As for message boards, I don't know how you would ever really know, unless you were un-anonymoused and we noticed you hadn't been around for a while, and we googled your name and found out that way... interesting topic...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"John Doe has passed away." --John Doe

^^ Seen a similar message on several of my message boards. 90+ year old square dance caller, still going strong, and amazingly adept with technology (he even used a digital music storage player for his gig music). One day there was this odd message that "he" had sent, informing us that he had died. The messages continued as his heirs used his computer, with an automatic log-in, to set up the memorial services and dances.

Since I live alone, all y'all wouldn't find out until my brother might come up and decided to power things on.

ETA: If you manage a bulletin board or a FB page or anything similar, annoint a co-leader. Just typin'.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Nobody (except maybe the IT Department) has my passwords.

When I die, the mystery lives!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think word will get out - it's got to be weird -

I think someone posted on Cyburbia once on how they got a reconnect notice (because you hadn't posted there in a while) to "post on their wall" to someone on Facebook and that they were deceased -

EDIT: Get off my lawn!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I had actually thought about that a few times when some of our folks have been sick.

My husband would be aware to let everyone know. I would also be sure to say something if any of those I know personally had anyting happen to them.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I actually started writing a quasi-will on Word, that has provisions for making sure people at my online communities know of my passing when it happens, including user ID/password info, timelines for when/if to close the account, etc.

Once I get a job and get married and everything, I will make an official will that I hope will also include these things.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

I Pray That There Is No Hell

Interesting thread. So, this non-planner Bear will eventually slip from view. Will it be "the end" or just wanderlust? Only your hairdresser knows for sure. Hah hah hah....

Seriously. I would assume that Katie would send a message to Cyburbia Central Command. And, I have to wonder about all the folks who were regulars on this board and went away. Likely that all (or most) just grew tired of the site. But, did anyone in that group of "gone regs" actually die? Scary thought, especially to those of us who have been walking the Cyburbian sidewalks for many moons.

I often wonder what will happen to my giant fake city, De Noc. Hundreds of drawings, hundreds of documents and spreadsheets. When I am dust, will the "world's largest hand-drawn fictional city map" crumble to paperdust?

Oh well. Not to worry. I have plenty of ti

Death hath no mercy.

Mandatory vid attached.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjMB...eature=related
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    I am not the original imaplanner. He died (part of him did anyways - the part that cares).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I plan on lingering. The way I see it, I'll be going out kicking and scratching which should give me enough time to log-in and post a good-bye, a couple final zingers, review of the last wine I drank, status of the damn white tile floors, and a pool/hot tub report.

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I am not the original imaplanner. He died (part of him did anyways - the part that cares).
    Bitter much?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

Bitter much?
    I'm not bitter- I'm just getting in touch with my inner curmudgeon
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I'm not bitter- I'm just getting in touch with my inner curmudgeon
    So you've "gone OFOS?"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    So you've "gone OFOS?"
    Set curmudgery free! No "inner curmudgeons" allowed.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Set curmudgery free! No "inner curmudgeons" allowed.
    How about developing into one ?
    So does one warm up or go sour to be one ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ...I often wonder what will happen to my giant fake city, De Noc. Hundreds of drawings, hundreds of documents and spreadsheets. When I am dust, will the "world's largest hand-drawn fictional city map" crumble to paperdust?
    Think about leaving De Noc to the Smithsonian. Seriously. Or maybe there is a museum in Trenary?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Interesting thread. So, this non-planner Bear will eventually slip from view. Will it be "the end" or just wanderlust? Only your hairdresser knows for sure. Hah hah hah....

Seriously. I would assume that Katie would send a message to Cyburbia Central Command. And, I have to wonder about all the folks who were regulars on this board and went away. Likely that all (or most) just grew tired of the site. But, did anyone in that group of "gone regs" actually die? Scary thought, especially to those of us who have been walking the Cyburbian sidewalks for many moons.

I often wonder what will happen to my giant fake city, De Noc. Hundreds of drawings, hundreds of documents and spreadsheets. When I am dust, will the "world's largest hand-drawn fictional city map" crumble to paperdust?

Oh well. Not to worry. I have plenty of ti

Death hath no mercy.

Mandatory vid attached.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjMB...eature=related
    Bumping this for obvious reasons. Bear has several posts on here that suggest a final resting place for his De Noc project.

Along with donating it to a public archive, it seems sensible to digitize it, and upload to a publicly-available website where it could be accessed by persons with an interest in urban planning. I'm sure there's a URL that would be suitable. /irony

Having gone through the family clean-up process twice now...generally one starts by donating any home health supplies that could be used by others. Then it's on to the truly useless stuff that's in the way and really drove you crazy. (Dear ol' dad became a hardcore smoker -- yes, he was a doctor -- and with every pack his provider threw in a couple of plastic no-refill lighters. There were hundreds lying around the house.)

Something that's a long-time project, carefully stored out of the way (not in the middle of the living room floor) tends to be dealt with quite some time down the road. Several weeks, if not months.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Bumping this for obvious reasons. Bear has several posts on here that suggest a final resting place for his De Noc project.

Along with donating it to a public archive, it seems sensible to digitize it, and upload to a publicly-available website where it could be accessed by persons with an interest in urban planning. I'm sure there's a URL that would be suitable. /irony
    I agree. I wonder if he left instructions on where to contact? Perhaps it will end up in a museum close to where DeNoc would actually be. I know that there is one in Manistique and one in Escanaba, but nothing in between.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wouldn't it be great to see a De Noc exhibit at Fayette State Park? "What might the area have looked like if it had continued to grow?" I agree with others who have suggested that it should find a home online, and those who have described it as an amazing piece of American folk art.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Wouldn't it be great to see a De Noc exhibit at Fayette State Park? "What might the area have looked like if it had continued to grow?" I agree with others who have suggested that it should find a home online, and those who have described it as an amazing piece of American folk art.
    I'd like to see it in the Cyburbia Gallery.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I totally agree! I think people would find it all really interesting. It reminds me of the Tinkertown Museum which is a collection of mechanical dioramas collected and built by a man who passed away many years ago. His family opened up their sprawling home to the public and established it as a funky folk museum. The kids love it.

Also I think about the film Marwencol.

Neither are quite the same but show that there is an interest in these kinds of personal narratives tied up with folk expression.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING getting old thread