Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Learning from nature: planning examples

Registered
    May 2009

Learning from nature: planning examples

Watching the ants work in my backyard this weekend got me to wondering if anyone has done or knows of research projects about how we can take examples from nature and apply them to planning concepts. I remember seeing a news video about studying ants for traffic flow, but it was more of a gee-whiz filler and didn't give any real insight to specifics.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kw5280 View post
    Watching the ants work in my backyard this weekend got me to wondering if anyone has done or knows of research projects about how we can take examples from nature and apply them to planning concepts. I remember seeing a news video about studying ants for traffic flow, but it was more of a gee-whiz filler and didn't give any real insight to specifics.
    Stormwater design, park design, habitat corridors, grid-fused grid connectivity, habitat management plans...

Registered
    May 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Stormwater design, park design, habitat corridors, grid-fused grid connectivity, habitat management plans...
    All true. I guess what I was looking for is more how colonies are organized and structures are built to facilitate their daily function.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Sounds like a great academic research idea. Where I live we've had an incremental increase of fire ant infestation that has been going on for about forty or fifty years. In my grade school years, when the fire ant invasion first began, planes used to sweep over discharging tiny pellets of some kind of poison. We on the playgrounds would stand with open palms and catch them. Whee!

It is beginning to look to me like those ants are going to be our successors after we finally pollute and abuse our fair garden into unlivability.

Incidentally I have read, in books some might regard as "esoteric", that bees were once conscious beings that became so well organized and mechanical in their conduct that their consciousness was "withdrawn". leaving them to go along as the efficient little robots they appear to be.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kw5280 View post
    All true. I guess what I was looking for is more how colonies are organized and structures are built to facilitate their daily function.
    EO Wilson.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2012, 2:59 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 12:36 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Aug 2011, 4:25 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Dec 2009, 8:42 PM
  5. Replies: 31