Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Rights of way ordinance

  1. #1
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Aug 2005
    in a meeting

    Rights of way ordinance

    Do you have a right of way ordinance? That is, an ordinance that governs the use of the public way - not traffic or loading zones but things like road opening for utility work, the blocking of sidewalks for construction purposes, putting a trash receptacle in a parking spot during construction, making improvements to a right of way as partof construction...

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Plus JNA's avatar
    Jun 2003
    De Noc
    Selected from my fair city code that address your question -

    Chapter 12.05
    Article I. General Provisions
    060 Definitions.
    080 Loose material and sand, gravel and dirt loading and hauling requirements.
    110 Dragging objects on public ways.
    130 Painting or marking streets for advertisements.
    140 Obstructing public ways.
    150 Obstructing driver’s view.
    160 Playing in public way.
    170 Removal of snow and ice.
    180 Permit required for parade.
    190 Use of sidewalks.
    210 Signs in the right-of-way.
    220 Street cuts.
    230 Sidewalk construction.
    240 Driveway construction – Curbs.
    250 Sidewalk parks.
    260 Licensing of sidewalk contractors.
    320 Repair of streets or sidewalks.
    340 Powers of City.
    350 Uniform or badge required for inspection, installation, or repairmen.
    I will PM you the weblink
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  3. #3
    Cyburbian fringe's avatar
    Aug 2008
    Comer, GA
    Right of way is addressed in context of different regs, including sidewalks, building codes, and zoning, as well as by state requirements for state highway routes passing thru town.

  4. #4
    May 2003
    What fringe said. Plus we have a Street Use License that allows encroachment into ROW or (more commonly) easements. Subdivision entry signs are allowed in the ROW by right. They last for 15 years and then have to be renewed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jul 2011, 10:17 PM
  2. Using air rights over streets
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Dec 2008, 8:30 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 10:31 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Jun 2007, 2:56 PM
  5. Right to life vs. property rights
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 08 Jul 2004, 8:59 PM