Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Modifications to logos and franchise signs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Modifications to logos and franchise signs

In my municipality we have Tropical Smoothie Cafe would like to place their logo and purple and yellow sign on the building. The developer, at the time of site plan approval, voluntarily restricted the sign colors to red, green, blue, and black/white. Every tenant in the shopping center adhered to the restrictions, but Tropical Smoothie requested a waiver. Our development review committee denied their request and the management company is appealing. They have said we don't respect the process and have stated that corporate will not approve an altered logo.

Does anyone have pictures of Tropical Smoothie signs that have been modified, or even better, a larger chain such as MacDonalds?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If you have a process by which they can be considered for a waiver, then how can they say your DRC didn't respect the process? Even if it's denied it's not procedural. I'm so sick of whining about signs today, sorry. And sorry again because I don't have pictures or know of any modified Tropical Smoothie signs...plenty of others, though. I don't buy the "corporate" defense, it's often times a bluff....I say let them appeal.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If colors were something the developer put in the covenants for tenants it shouldn't be the City's job to enforce private covenants. If the city allows purple and yellow signs then approve it based on city regulations. If the developers/managers have a problem with the color scheme it is up to them to find a way to settle it in civil court.

The last thing cities need is to enforce private covenants.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    ursus, the department is sick of it too. The management company has given us problems since it first opened. The newspaper has even got in on the action stating we are holding them up from opening, but yet they have all the operating permits! To make matters worse, the economic development director sided with the company stating that "a company pays for the logo and recognition. Otherwise it would be a mom and pop store". It's on public record and it's our own ED director!

stroskey, the sign restrictions aren't covenants. They were voluntarily added as a part of site plan approval. Every single tenant has complained because the management company insists on pointing the finger at us like it is our doing. They've been informed time and time again to appeal the sign regs, but I think it gives them something to complain about.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    McDonalds, Sedona, AZ

This is the only one I can think of. I can imagine if you're in a wealthy market like Sedona, the restaurant would be much more willing to work with you.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In a similar vein as the McDonald's in Sedona is the McDonald's in Freeport, Maine.

I personally have never been to a Tropical Smoothie Cafe and only know of one in the area. But that happens to be next to one of my favorite places for lunch so maybe I will hit up that place tomorrow and while I am at it, I can check out the signage at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe. I'll be sure to post my findings back here in this thread!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Tropical Smoothie is good stuff.. I wish we had them up here in the northeast.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I personally have never been to a Tropical Smoothie Cafe and only know of one in the area. But that happens to be next to one of my favorite places for lunch so maybe I will hit up that place tomorrow and while I am at it, I can check out the signage at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
    Their signage is usually pretty loud.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    My newly pregnant self craves the smoothies, but I can get the in only one size--huge! Around here they are everywhere. There is one currently fifteen minutes down the road in a more populated area. They over saturate the market because the start up cost is minimal and think every town and shopping center should have one.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    If you google "McDonalds sign" you get pages and pages of sign phiotos. there are a few non-standards signs including those in Sedona and some cool metal pub-style signs. I would imagine you could do the same for other retailers and come up with some good images. And I think Whistler, BC has a sign code that results in everybody having a non-corporate-standard sign.

Seems to me there was a case out of the Florida Keys on this subject, but I can't remember which way it went

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I think you're asking for a fight you'll lose if you try to make them change the colors of their actual logo. You can certainly restrict the sign itself and the size of the logo, but I'm pretty sure you're on shaky ground restricting colors on the logo part of the sign. Granted, I'm no attorney...but I vaguely remember reading a court case regarding this while doing some research recently. If I find the case, I'll post a citation. Otherwise, if anyone thinks I'm mistaken feel free to call me out. I'm not too proud to eat crow.

Oh...and the green arches just doesn't look right!
    Last edited by MazerRackham; 26 May 2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: I missed a point.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    MazerRackham, the owner of the franchise actually volunteered to change it and had corporate headquarters approve it. The sign regulations aren't for the entire county, but this one particular shopping center. It's the management company that is fighting this thing due to other issues in the past. They have been informed multiple times that if they may go through the process to change the strict regulations that were placed upon the entire shopping center. If it were up to me, they could not have a logo period.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MazerRackham View post
    Oh...and the green arches just doesn't look right!
    You need to adjust the color settings on your monitor. I'm sure you'll agree that they look just fine in the turquoise they really are!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I'm facing a similar issue with a Shell gas station located at an interstate interchange. By ordinance they were allowed on free standing sign per parcel. Well I informed the station owner that he could only have one sign and he may want to have a larger pole sign adjacent to the interstate. His comment was the people driving on the other street perpendicular to the interstate wouldn't know he was there. I asked him if he thought all other motorist were color blind because the shell color scheme and logo on pump canopy and building were more than recognizable. Long story short he placed a smaller sign along the perpendicular road like he wanted and then went to the Chairman of the Board of Commissioners and asked him to issue a permit for a larger pole sign along the interstate. Needless to say staff's advice was not followed.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Gotta love the board's that make these rules and regulations, but yet find them too restricting!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    stick to your guns - the corporate folks will push if they can get their logo but will acquiesce if you push back - if they want to be there, they'll do it

we just got Subway to make their sign in a dark wood composite with gold letters and Holiday Inn is about to do the same (they will push back though since they already bought the sign...)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2009, 1:52 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 9:11 AM
  3. Franchise Bans
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 24 Mar 2004, 3:48 AM
  4. PUD Modifications
    Land Use and Zoning