Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WSU MUP 2.0: August release

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

WSU MUP 2.0: August release

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Any plans for a summer vacation for this year for Mrs. WSU MUP Student and myself will have to be put off until next year probably since we have a Baby WSU MUP Student coming in August and preparing its nursery and doing a couple other small projects around the house are now a higher priority.....
    Way to bury an announcement there, dude (in the summer vacation thread).

Congrats!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, I noticed that, too!

Congratulations!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Thank you for the congratulations...

I should probably tell my boss sometime soon too since I'm going to be taking some time off for family leave.

When I called my parents to tell them, I purposefully called my mother's cell phone (as opposed to their home phone or my dad's phone) because she doesn't know how to check her voicemail. I was hoping she wouldn't answer and I could have left a message that she would never get. My plan was, that throughout the end of winter and beginning of spring she would just think that my wife was gaining weight but she would be too nice to say anything about it until it was obvious she was pregnant at which point she would yell at me for not telling her to which I would respond, "Check your voicemail!" Unfortunately she answered the phone and ruined my plan.

On a slightly related note, Mrs. WSU MUP Student and I saw the movie Babies over the weekend and I have discovered that this childbirth thing is going to be a snap! Apparently, babies do not poop, get sick, spit up, cry endlessly, or do any of that stuff that I dreaded anymore!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats !

Cyburbia is here help you with names.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ..... I have discovered that this childbirth thing is going to be a snap! Apparently, babies do not poop, get sick, spit up, cry endlessly, or do any of that stuff that I dreaded anymore!
    And they're very inexpensive to raise.
    Congrats.
    Annoyingly insensitive

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Congratulations!!!

Congrats as well. Sleep now while you have the chance.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Congratulations!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Congratulations on the little one!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    On a slightly related note, Mrs. WSU MUP Student and I saw the movie Babies over the weekend and I have discovered that this childbirth thing is going to be a snap! Apparently, babies do not poop, get sick, spit up, cry endlessly, or do any of that stuff that I dreaded anymore!
    Congrats! And good luck having a baby that doesn't poop, pee, cry, burp, etc.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Congrats & always remember your own baby is the perfect baby. Everything will come easy & they will never make you angry.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Congratulations to you and your family!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I work in an office of about 50+ folks and I have told maybe 8 or 9 people that my wife and I are having a baby. I figured that they would find out if/when they send me an email while I am out on family leave and they get my out-of-office auto reply.

Anyway... at the end of a staff meeting last week, our department manager is asking folks if they have any announcements they would like to make. After a couple of the women try coaxing a very quiet late-20s male to announce to all that he is getting married next week (with minimal success), our administrative assistant, who was sitting directly across an aisle from me, asks if anybody is having a baby soon (I didn't tell her personally, but I imagined that she already knew since she's friends with my supervisor). Of course, she looked right at me as she asked about babies but I just put a dumb look on my face and look around the room as if expecting somebody else to announce they are pregnant.

She decided to ask again, louder, thinking that maybe I didn't hear her (a lot of people were still talking about the guy getting married) and again I provide no response. Just then, from the back of the room, a young woman (about a year or two younger than me) proudly announces that, "It's not [her] this time!" (she's had two babies in as many years) and gets me off the hook.

It's not that I don't want the people that I work with to know that we are having a baby, but rather, I don't care for most of them enough to share personal information with them. If they know that's fine, but I'm not going out of my way to tell anybody. I guess I just file this under keeping work life and private life separate.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We had our first baby shower this past weekend. And while it was exceptionally long and boring, it was thankfully the only one (of four total!! ) that I will have to attend from start to finish. We received a couple items that came in very large boxes and the day before a crib, glider, ottoman, changing table, and dresser all arrived in boxes (they were all gifts from my wife's mom - I would have been content letting the baby sleep in a laundry basket for the first few months ) so now everything is stacked up in our living room since we are still working on the nursery. I have a feeling that if I don't get the nursery finished before the next shower, we may run out of space to walk around!

I'm not really one for overly cutesy stuff, but I thought that the cake we had at the shower was pretty cute:

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I never said congrats originally, so congrats!! That cake looks like someone put a lot of work into it. Or the walmart guy in your neck of the woods is just much more talented than here.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I never said congrats originally, so congrats!! That cake looks like someone put a lot of work into it. Or the walmart guy in your neck of the woods is just much more talented than here.
    Thanks for the congratulations and I'm pretty skilled with a cake decorating bag!

OK, it wasn't really my handy work. There is a boutique bakery in my in-laws town that they are benefactors of and they made the cake. They also made our wedding cake (this picture doesn't do it justice):

The lady who owns the place is very skilled (at least in my opinion). She was even on the winning team on an episode of some cake show on Food Network or HGTV or something a couple of months ago.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    We had our first baby shower this past weekend. ...
    I'm not really one for overly cutesy stuff, but I thought that the cake we had at the shower was pretty cute:
    There's a whole gallery of baby-themed cakes on the Cake Wrecks blog.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Now updated with pictures!

Well, at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, less than 12 hours after a baby shower and about 3 weeks before the official due date, my wife woke me up to tell me that she thought her water had broken. After asking, "So what?" and rolling over to go back to sleep I could hear her out in the kitchen on the phone talking to her doctor so I thought maybe this was for real and she wasn't exaggerating. So after cleaning up a few things around the house, packing a bag for myself (wife has been packed for a month!), taking a shower and eating a little breakfast, we left for the hospital at about 5:00 a.m.

About 8 hours later we gave birth to a healthy 7 pound 1 ounce, 20" long beautiful baby girl. Baby WSU MUP Student, Mrs. WSU MUP Student, and most importantly, Mr. WSU MUP Stud are all doing great!

So much for hanging the ceiling fan in her bedroom and putting the crib together on Sunday like I was planning to do. We also were unable to go see The Other Guys like we really wanted to.

She's already mastered sleeping (and pooping!):

She has a full head of nice dark hair!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! What a cutie!

Registered
    May 2005
    Enjoy bro. As a dude, having two daughters is incredible. I'm one of those guys who has no regrets about not having a son. There's something special about dads and their daughters.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Enjoy bro. As a dude, having two daughters is incredible. I'm one of those guys who has no regrets about not having a son. There's something special about dads and their daughters.
    what he said...

Congrats WSUfamily!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Congratulations!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    congrats dude! Btrage is right on. There is a special bond between myself and my "bear". She and i share something incredible. Enjoy!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Enjoy bro. As a dude, having two daughters is incredible. I'm one of those guys who has no regrets about not having a son...
    Oh, there will be no regrets about not having a son. I struck out repetitively at t-ball so it's sort of a relief not having much to live up to in the teaching of sports category.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Congratulations on your new babe!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Release your inner foodie
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Aug 2012, 2:14 PM
  2. vBulletin 3.8 Release Candidate 2
    Cyburbia Issues and Help