Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public art sign requirements

Registered
    May 2010

Public art sign requirements

Is anyone aware of (or better yet do you have) criteria for the type of signage used for public art displays? We do not have a standard and are attempting to allow for some flexibility, but google is not my friend right now. Thanks!

Registered
    May 2010
    Hi, Planner 98. The Public Art signage you are asking about would typically be a plaque made of a durable material (such as bronze or aluminum) with theft-proof attachment hardware, with the ability to be wall mounted or inset into the paving... depending on the type of artwork you have installed. Text on this signage often includes the Title of the artwork, the name of the artist, materials and date completed, and the funding source (commissioned by, donated by, etc...)
    Hope this helps! I work as a public artist in different metals, and as a sideline our studio produces identity signage for agencies such as yours. www.andrewslefevre.com Feel free to contact me as you are getting ideas together!
    - Jennifer

Registered
    May 2010

Dimensions?

Hi Jennifer- Thanks so much for the response. Are there typical dimensions and heights for these types of signs? Have you run across any communities that try to regulate art identification signage?

Thanks again for any help you can provide!!!

Registered
    May 2010
    I think most community regulations regarding Public Art signage are really aimed at providing consistency throughout a City's collection so that if a viewer sees a similar sign elsewhere he or she will quickly realize that - oh, there's Public Art nearby! For example, here in NYC all of the Public Art projects in our subways use the same indicator plaques. Just make sure that a wall plaque is designed to be legible and mounted at a readable-level (somewhere from 4-5' up from the ground, typically.) Depending on the amount of info you want to share, an 8"-10" plaque should be fine. If the signage is going in the ground, or will be read at a distance you'll want to increase the scale.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Mar 2014, 7:39 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 1:59 PM
  3. Typical requirements for businesses/public services
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 2:05 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Apr 2009, 11:56 AM