Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP membership stats?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

AICP membership stats?

I just passed the CPE exam and am excitedly (sort of) waiting for my AICP membership invoice.

I'm curious about AICP though. How many people are members nationally? How are they distributed around the country? Is membership growing, shrinknig, staying stable? Do members make more than non-members?

I looked on the AICP and APA websites and couldn't find any stats, some ambiguous stuff in the annual report. Any info would be appreciated.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I'm waiting for my invoice too.....I think they said 6 weeks or so. I've decided that APA/AICP aren't the quickest folks around when it comes to processing paperwork.

The planners salary survey on the APA website does distinguish between AICP and non-AICP members in terms of salary. Their data shows that planners with the AICP designation on average make more per year than those that don't. There is also a fun little calculator you can use to see what you should be making now that you're AICP.

I also recently saw a stat in an old Planetizen article/thread - it said something like 51% of APA members have their AICP. The argument against this was that Planning Commissioners and other "non-practicing" (from a career/professional standpoint) members can be APA, but wouldn't get AICP, so it throws the stat off a bit.

Otherwise, I haven't seen anything else. Would be interesting to know though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

AICP stats

I did some quick calcs going off the annual report and concluded that there probably are around 16-17,000 AICP members now and that that number has been growing slowly but steadily ever year, by around 3,1 to 3.4%, since 2000.

I wondered for half second whether I should copy that page you mentioned about AICP and salaries to show my boss... although, now that I think about that would be a bad idea. She'd just point out how much I've already been overpaid and ask for a refund of the difference

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by LTKS View post
    Their data shows that planners with the AICP designation on average make more per year than those that don't. There is also a fun little calculator you can use to see what you should be making now that you're AICP.
    Remember, the more you make the more dues you pay

hint.. hint
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Yep, I sorta forget about that, mainly b/c my company pays my dues for APA and AICP. Of course, that may not be the case if I leave, but I may as well milk it for all I can now. I'd really like to get that raise I was promised if I passed.....

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by LTKS View post
    Yep, I sorta forget about that, mainly b/c my company pays my dues for APA and AICP. Of course, that may not be the case if I leave, but I may as well milk it for all I can now. I'd really like to get that raise I was promised if I passed.....
    Did you get it in writing? If not..bummer. I got my raise per my passing in writing. It kicked in the moment i passed.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Lucky you. I passed AICP on the first try THEN was in the race to take the LEED-NC exam before the 6/30/2009 deadline. No bonus, no raise, 20% paycut, and I was laid-off between both exams. Fortunately I rebounded with a better job somewhere else.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Yes, luckily I did get it in writing. But I think my boss is waiting until I'm "official" - once he gets the invoice to pay the dues. Planning on having a little chat this week with him about it. He's been bugging me for 2 years to take the test, so I finally did. I held up my end of the bargain.....

I understand your situation. My husband is a planner with the public sector in California, and he's gone through the furloughs, 20% pay cut, and in a few months they're doing another round of layoffs, with planning and building in the line of fire. It is brutal, and it is good to hear that you were able to find something!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Do AICP dues work the same way as APA dues (based off the same self-declared income categories) or is it different?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    Do AICP dues work the same way as APA dues (based off the same self-declared income categories) or is it different?
    http://www.planning.org/join/dues/index.htm
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    thanks NH.

hrmph.. I could buy an ipad for one year's dues. Company pays, but still...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Mar 2011, 9:26 PM
  2. Stats texts that are useful to planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 10:10 AM
  3. APA, AICP membership advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2009, 5:51 PM