Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What steps should I take to become an international planner?

Registered
    May 2008

What steps should I take to become an international planner?

My goal is to become a planner that kind of flits around from city to city all over the world as a consultant. That's not going to happen right away if at all, so I was wondering for one thing what most international planners do (work for the UN, NGOs, individual govs etc.). But moreover I'm wondering what steps I should take to potentially get where I want to go.

Based on discussions in the Student Lounge, I think I'm going to get a basic undergrad planning degree at a state school and go for a master's with a focus on international planning. At some point I'd like to get a summer (3-month) internship at UN-Habitat during this period for experience, and/or figure out another way to volunteer or get a gig abroad for a summer.

Does this put me on line for what I'm interested in doing or would I be missing something? Also, what can I expect the post-graduate, pre-dream job years be like? Do most beginning international planners start out in hellholes, as I suspect? Anyway thanks for your response.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    RPfresh, I think you're making the right move to look internationally with your planning interests. Planning issues are international, especially with issues such as globalization occuring, however from what I know US Planning has sort of set the standard for planning internationally. That said, I would recommend a degree for a state school is the way to go and the specialization in international planning might give you a leg up above the competition.

As for jobs, there are international consultancy firms that do the type of work you're looking into (i.e. traveling the world), however I would also look into private sector firms that specialize in international work. Many urban design and planning firms are branching internationally (mostly due to the economy). China is a hot market, maybe research internships with firms doing work there, might give you a starting point.

Best of luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    When you say that you want to be an 'international planner', what do you mean? What specific area/jobscope do you want to work in?

Are you interested in design consultancy? Policy design for IGOs like the World Bank and UN?

Registered
    May 2008
    I'm interested in helping cities solve problems - mainly unsafe streets, but just in general belonging to a cleanup crew that goes around helping cities make lives better for their constituents. This might include zoning(or lack of), transit, big-picture policy, etc. Basically I'm not sure exactly what I would want to do, just that I want to help out with the urban plight worldwide.

I do know I'd like to work in developing countries, and since cities in such countries might not be able to pay for consulting work I would consider working for NGOs or the UN. Working in China would be cool as well. But really I just want to make as much of a dent in world suffering as I can using urban planning as my weapon. Make as much fun of that as you want, but that's the truth.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What next steps to take?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jun 2011, 2:30 PM
  2. International internship or planner job?
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 6:25 PM
  3. Rummy Steps Down
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 10:34 AM
  4. International town planner recommendations
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jul 2006, 9:11 AM
  5. 29 Steps & DOD