Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sailing: Put The Battens Down The Hatches, Mate!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sailing: Put The Battens Down The Hatches, Mate!

This weekend one of the Great Lakes' more prestigious events, The Mills Cup Race, takes place on the waters of Lake Erie's Western Basin. Hundreds of sailboats, in about 16 different classes, ride the oft-turbulent waters of Lake Erie, hoping to sail away with a trophy. The final stop for these avid sailors is one of the bars in Put-In-Bay, that quaint drinking village with a fishing and sailing problem located on beautiful South Bass Island.

"Rag baggers" (term for sailboat sailors) are a bit unusual. When they arrive at Put-In-Bay (or any other waterfront village lined with taverns) they tend to drink wine and/or mixed drinks. In my travels I have seen very few RBs with a beer in their hand.

This Bear has done some sailing. I crewed with my ex-brother-in-law, many years ago. It was a short jaunt but I really enjoyed it. Before you could say "put the battens down the hatches" I was the owner of a small sailboat. Of course, keeping with tradition, I had to splash a name on the craft: Sluggo's Revenge.

The craft was small enough for me to drag it, via my regular "stink boat" boat (motorized boat), out to the many islands in Maumee Bay. Out that-a-way I would sail between the islands, enjoying the peaceful easy feeling (is there a song here?) that was stimulated by solitary man (another song) and wind-swept craft. I also took Sluggo's Revenge up north, to the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Sluggo had the chance to wind-float on northern Lake Michigan (Big Knob State Forest Campground), Brevort Lake, and Andrus Lake.

I am not a small bruin. When sitting in the stern of Sluggo the bow tended to lift a bit, leading to less control. Ever the resourceful one, I duck-taped a relatively-straight tree branch to the tiller handle, allowing me to sit closer to the center of the craft. That contraption served me well for all the years that I owned Sluggo's Revenge.

Not sure why I eventually parted ways with my motorless friend. Most likely just lifestyle (no Lake Erie boat) and personal changes that drove me toward a different type of life in a rural area.

I have said enuf. How about you? Any "rag baggers" out there? What say you?

Sluggo
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Growing up I learned to sail on an AMF Sunfish and race on them.
    Even got one as a X-mas present.

I even remember the the difference between a AMF Sailfish & Sunfish; do you ?

When I was a Boy Scout even earned Sailing Merit Badge.

My brother had a 18ft cat - really fun hiking out on with a harness.

The principles are all the same - tacking, reaching and running.

As mentioned in the 1976 Thread even saw the Tall Ships in NY harbor.

Next APA conference - a possible mobile trip to Old Ironside ? now that would be real cool.
    Last edited by JNA; 12 Jun 2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sail Around The World

Speaking of sailing, any comments for or against the parents who allowed their 16-year old daughter to embark on a solo sail around the world? She finished short of her goal after storms wrecked her boat's ability to move.

This Bear is torn on this one. As much as the Libertarianish side of me says "allow her to make her own decisions" and she is a very good sailor......I'm thinking she is still too young for that adventure.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Speaking of sailing, any comments for or against the parents who allowed their 16-year old daughter to embark on a solo sail around the world? ...
    Mitch Albom says it all.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Leonard Pitts

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/1...orylink=fbuser

Really?!? They were shopping a reality show?? I am shocked.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It's been a few years, but a college friend of mine bought a 15' boat "Grey Ghost". We used to sail it out on the Great Salt Lake from the marina at Antelope Island. Great times.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My dad had a 14' sailboat when we were growing up. Had many fun sailings on the bay. He turtled in one time when a strong storm popped up.
    My brother got it and had new sails made and took it out once or twice, but it basically sat in the back yard. I enquired about getting it from him after he had it about 5 years and he had sold it.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    "I think we're going to need a bigger boat."
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. So How Did You First Meet Your Mate
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 16 Feb 2005, 4:58 PM