Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning international opportunity advice

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Urban planning international opportunity advice

Hello fellow planners,

I am currently a Uni student and have the opportunity to go to any country to either do an undergraduate degree or internship, this is similar to student exchange but not exactly.

What my dilemma is, is that I obviously want to get the most out of it. I don't want to go to a place and be made to do office duties etc, which would be a waste of a semester for me.
    • Internship or a semester doing a degree?
    • What international/English agencies exist in Singapore,Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan for urban Planning I must stress not design or architecture

Considering I am currently a 2nd year student, I really don't see what I can get out of doing an "internship", I have yet to learn the "grunt" of urban planning since I still have many years to go. Therefore I see no company really taking me on? And even if they did what could they really assign me to do? Please prove me wrong haha.

I have read over 15 pages worth of threads, or rather browsed and selectively picked and it just makes me want to do it even more

I have heard of the URA of Singapore, they have a section on their website for internships but because applications are not yet open there is absolutely no information or details on how its like- if anybody could expand on this and whether its a good opportunity?

Final question for now; is it really a worthwhile experience? I prefer internship over a semesters worth of degree (but I am willing for either), because I feel employers wouldn't really care if you did a degree overseas for 3 months or so....it's just the equivalent of doing it in your own home country, all they care about in my opinion is just for you to HAVE a degree. Also, employers i think, would be hesitant on employing somebody who did Urban Planning for 3 months overseas, especially since it would be a different "system" and maybe an unknown Uni to them

I look forward to your replies and hope to generate some discussion, feel free to ask for clarification.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    bump?????? I think this post has sunk to the bottom

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by user123 View post
    Hello fellow planners,

I am currently a Uni student and have the opportunity to go to any country to either do an undergraduate degree or internship, this is similar to student exchange but not exactly.

What my dilemma is, is that I obviously want to get the most out of it. I don't want to go to a place and be made to do office duties etc, which would be a waste of a semester for me.
    • Internship or a semester doing a degree?
    • What international/English agencies exist in Singapore,Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan for urban Planning I must stress not design or architecture

Considering I am currently a 2nd year student, I really don't see what I can get out of doing an "internship", I have yet to learn the "grunt" of urban planning since I still have many years to go. Therefore I see no company really taking me on? And even if they did what could they really assign me to do? Please prove me wrong haha.

I have read over 15 pages worth of threads, or rather browsed and selectively picked and it just makes me want to do it even more

I have heard of the URA of Singapore, they have a section on their website for internships but because applications are not yet open there is absolutely no information or details on how its like- if anybody could expand on this and whether its a good opportunity?

Final question for now; is it really a worthwhile experience? I prefer internship over a semesters worth of degree (but I am willing for either), because I feel employers wouldn't really care if you did a degree overseas for 3 months or so....it's just the equivalent of doing it in your own home country, all they care about in my opinion is just for you to HAVE a degree. Also, employers i think, would be hesitant on employing somebody who did Urban Planning for 3 months overseas, especially since it would be a different "system" and maybe an unknown Uni to them

I look forward to your replies and hope to generate some discussion, feel free to ask for clarification.

Actually why don't you just write in to URA? PM me and we can talk more.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. International planning - UK to US advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2013, 6:12 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Sep 2012, 3:30 PM