Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Facebook etc.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Facebook etc.

I'm on face book, but I've yet to have that seemingly insatiable urge to connect with people or play with an imaginary farm. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways, but I just don't get it. (Slinks back into his cave.)

Registered
    May 2004
    I refuse to be on facebook. I hate books and I have an ugly face.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I use it, but I don't use the annoying apps and I've hidden any notifications from any and all apps.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree why play a farm, bejeweled or mafia style game? I can't see how any of this could be even remotely fun, no matter how many times someone that I had math with 25 years ago invites me.

A couple of months ago when I refused to link to some things it wiped out my groups. It took me until last week to notice.

I like the people who wonder why they are out of work, but insist on posting really odd things about thier pets, over-drinking, spouses, bodily functions 20 times per day. Don't they know persepctive employers could access this?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I use it, but I don't use the annoying apps and I've hidden any notifications from any and all apps.
    Same here.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is on Facebook. Joined awhile back at a time that the future existence of Cyburbia was in question. First link was to the Cyburbia site. The site is not very active.....methinks others joined only because it serves as a backup to Cyburbia, allowing some linkage to others who have become friends on-line.

Not interested in aps, but I know others are continually doing that stuff. For them it provides escape, really no different than Space Invaders (years ago), Civ II (long time ago but still has an active bruinguy), Game Boy or TV.

FB did get me in touch with relatives in the "olde country". Now working with those relatives to establish an accurate Family Tree.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I use Facebook mainly as a means of connecting with friends and family. I really don't use any of the apps much. I've posted music and videos before, but I don't know if that really counts. I'm also in a bunch of groups and am "fans" of certain things or people, but do I really go to most of those pages much? Not really.

I used to go in the groups more when I was in college and have discussions with people like I do here, but not so much anymore.

Mainly, I check Facebook daily, wish people happy birthday, skim the mini-feed, update my status, respond to any messages, wall-posts, or chats, and occasionally I'll post pictures or update my profile or something. I also like Facebook for creating events and it was really helpful in college to plan and coordinate things with people.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I use it as a mild amusement, and for benign sharing of news etc.

Not a very big deal.. I think their restriction on message length keeps it from being abused by too loud voices.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Back when my mama first got sick (1997-ish), her kids discovered how useful technology could be. I'd drive home (an hour) and type the latest update, hit SEND, and it would be e-mailed to everyone who needed to see it. By the time dear ol' dad called with his nightly update, it was, "yeah, Veloise sent me an e-mail already."

The other night I located a pertinent cousin on FB, and added her sis and niece. I'm getting good advice and help via the application, and sharing pics that couldn't go out any other way. (Family estrangement issues. That's about it.)

Presently I am using it to promote several ensembles with which I play. Faster and easier than a website, and I can target local friends, musicians, fellow tubists, or whatever demographic would pertain.

Don't get me started on that Farmville crap....someone messaged me to request that I send him some sort of AG item. That happened once.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Don't get me started on that Farmville crap....
    Same here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like FB. I wish Cyburbia had a group on there.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    I like FB. I wish Cyburbia had a group on there.
    They do. PM lp for an invite.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I make quick judgements of new facebook friends who are old school friends. If their walls are full of game updates, I write them off as mindless and try not to initiate any meanful discussion with them.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm on Facebook after figuring out that people I actually want to stay in contact with were all on it. I've added some Cyburbians, but I have less than 35 friends - and that includes family, too!
    I do play two of the games regularly. I play with my sister and a couple of friends, and we use the in-game message feature a lot. I do not play Mafia Wars or Sorority Life, both of which a friend keeps wanting me to join. I'll stay with my two regulars, and keep myself entertained that way.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I understand the feelings here and I had to be forced to get on FB. A couple of my old classmates were there. It helped tremendously to get our reunion planned last year. That part is awesome. I also LOVE to keep in touch with friends I have moved away from. I can keep up on what they are doing and keep up on their kids. I don't read the paper but I do FB to stay connected. It is so much easier to keep in touch. I don't play mafia wars or have a farm or a zoo but I do have to say that I could be a little obsessive with Bubble Spinner right now.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    This old fart just doesn't get it. Even though several friends my age do. What is this "friends of friends" about? I don't even want to know that many people. Perhaps if I knew more about how to use it...What is this "wall" they speak of?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    This old fart just doesn't get it. Even though several friends my age do. What is this "friends of friends" about? I don't even want to know that many people. Perhaps if I knew more about how to use it...What is this "wall" they speak of?
    Really or are you just kidding??? Hard to tell here. We would be glad to explain if you really don't know..
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

From the good folks at Urban Dictionary

Postmodem Depression:
    The feeling you get when you haven't had access to the internet (i.e. facebook and twitter) for a long time, like several minutes.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Time to zap a few more "friends."

Included this round:

--clueless long-time acquaintance who eagerly tells me about Stuff A Real Friend Would Already Know. "Hey, there's this music event called Tuba Christmas." (I used to run the one that took place in his fair city.) "Your father's obit didn't mention his love of animals." (Yes it does. I wrote it.)

--foreclosure-facing friend of many acquaintances. She hates her job and the bank is about to take their house. And every day she posts many paragraphs describing what I just typed in eleven purple words, with much hand-wringing and helpful comments from folks including Mr Clueless.
    (Some months back I posted on her wall the tendencies of contra dancers to help each other out with benefit dances. One of her distance buddies messaged me about trying to get one set up for her, but I could never get the F-F friend to communicate about it...because her page is packed full of her latest scores on those farm-based games.)

--fellow I met once who was in town to take photos at a public event, including some of me, so he friended me. Soon after that I posted a photo with one of my favorite people and role models, and his ever-so adult and tolerant response was "ewwww."

--Already zapped the fellow who sent me an e-mail: he likes my horn playing and the way I fit it in at folkie jam sessions, but he wants me to not play brass at sessions where he's at. And he's an educator (teaches middle school American history), thus an expert on How To Provide an Audible Bass Line in a Casual Pick-up Band Setting. When I went to his page to do the deed, I found countless misspelled words, and references to his ADHD.

--Un-liked a couple of causes/pages who send out message after message inviting me to stuff I'll never attend and don't really care about.

My oddball sister has already unfriended me...and all the sibs, and the nieces.

Ah, the politics of social networking.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post

I like the people who wonder why they are out of work, but insist on posting really odd things about thier pets, over-drinking, spouses, bodily functions 20 times per day. Don't they know persepctive employers could access this?
    This wouldn't happen if they fixed their privacy settings or If they were allowed to control them properly.

Secondly, this is why we need to have a real discussion and an amendment that deals with privacy of citizens. It should not be legal for an employer to check these kinds of sources of information as to possible employment.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

I'm on Facebook. I use to keep in touch with family events, I also discovered a couple of my friend from college. They are in touch with a couple other college friends and we are going to get together in a few weeks. Some of us have not seen each other since we graduated.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Ah, the politics of social networking.
    I cleaned up a little bit too a few weeks ago...

The wrong wing nutjob from high school who couldn't help himself from repeatedly instigating flame wars amongst my friends on my wall. Yes, we are largely left leaning but will entertain rational discourse and questions-Sarah Palin type propaganda...not so much.

Anyone whose wall is full of Farmville, Mafia Wars, game and application crap without any other kind of post. Figured if they were blocked from my news feed page they could take a permanent leave since they don't say much anyways.

The white supremacist fka a pretty decent elementary, middle school, and high school friend. Not sure what the heck happened there! Gone.

A few others that I decided I no longer needed to be acquainted with.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Since my last post about FB:

I've added friends, and unfriended a couple others, but basically everything else is the same. Yes, I have a farm. Yes, I play yoville. No, I don't play Mafia Wars. No, I don't have a zoo/aquarium/pet/store/fangs/chocolate/vineyard/etc. No, I don't post a lot about my day (firewall at work), and no, I don't post about work/relationships. Yes, I post about my pets, car repairs, going to the market and past events (I don't want people to know when I won't be home).

I enjoy most of FB, but the annoying ads on the side are, well, annoying. But I've set the notifications and I think the privacy settings are better than before. Take it or leave it, it's not for everyone.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    I cleaned up a little bit too a few weeks ago...

The wrong wing nutjob from high school who couldn't help himself from repeatedly instigating flame wars amongst my friends on my wall. Yes, we are largely left leaning but will entertain rational discourse and questions-Sarah Palin type propaganda...not so much.

Anyone whose wall is full of Farmville, Mafia Wars, game and application crap without any other kind of post. Figured if they were blocked from my news feed page they could take a permanent leave since they don't say much anyways.

The white supremacist fka a pretty decent elementary, middle school, and high school friend. Not sure what the heck happened there! Gone.

A few others that I decided I no longer needed to be acquainted with.

So i get no more updated from you watching the "jersey shore"?

Fist Pump!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post

So i get no more updated from you watching the "jersey shore"?

Fist Pump!
    No fear...we're still friends I have to restock the beer though if I am going to be subjected to future episodes of the Jersey Shore courtesy of RT.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New Cyburbia Facebook group
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 11:10 AM
  2. The Politics of Facebook
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 10:08 AM
  3. Facebook city games