Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Phased comprehensive zoning ordinance update

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Phased comprehensive zoning ordinance update

Fellow Zoners.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a jurisdiction that has accomplished a phased comprehensive update to their Zoning Ordinance?

By "phased" I mean something equivalent to applying new zoning districts to portions of the jurisdiction over time while utilizing the old/existing procedures or new parallel procedures.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh....

Check with the City and County of Denver, they may be doing this right now.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm curious to understand this. Does the existing zoning continue to be in effect as the new zoning is implemented? Can you give an example that would clarify? I'm interested but I don't think I understand...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I'm curious to understand this. Does the existing zoning continue to be in effect as the new zoning is implemented? Can you give an example that would clarify? I'm interested but I don't think I understand...
    This idea was being explored by Pinal County Arizona as a reaction to Prop. 207 a few years back. Keep the old Zoning Code for old owners and apply the new code to new owners that are not protected under 207.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Wow. It has to be a staff-intensive nightmare to administer, I would imagine. The thinking must be that the trade-off to not having to process issues of variances, exceptions or non-conforming properties balances it out enough to make it a viable process. I would tend to doubt it. Cool stuff, thanks.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I think Monroe County, Indiana did something like this years ago. They had a "new" Zoning Ordinance that only applied to some parts of the county, along with the "old" Zoning Ordinance that still applied in the balance. If I remember correctly, it wasn't an easy dividing line either. So there was no way to know which ordinance applied to which properties without consulting a map in the planning department. I don't know if this was intentional, or if this was an unintended consequence of how the new ordinance was adopted.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm curious, having thought about this being the only way to update my vintage code. Where would you begin? Definitions? Development Standards? Permitted Uses? I'm interested in reading what you think, oh Throbbing Brain.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm curious, having thought about this being the only way to update my vintage code. Where would you begin? Definitions? Development Standards? Permitted Uses? I'm interested in reading what you think, oh Throbbing Brain.
    Hi Gedunker.

My post was instigated by a pro/con request from a client. Speaking of vintage codes, this particular client has a very rare (historic) zoning ordinance that lacks actual districts. As in a current day zoning ordinance that resembles the ORIGIN of zoning ala Euclid. But I digress...

What I learned here and from colleagues elsewhere is that a phased, comprehensive update has more cons than pros. I intuitively knew this but wanted to review some real life examples. Standards and procedures are too interrelated to make meaningful and understandable revisions out of sequence with one another.

Taking on phased changes to zoning districts is more feasible. In other words, revisions to commercial zoning, residential zoning, industrial zoning, etc. in groups. The city I work in (Oakland) is doing that right now. What they are not changing are procedures. Perhaps that approach would work for you?

Cheers.

Kevin

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 10:31 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 3:12 PM
  3. New zoning ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Dec 2006, 1:25 PM