Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Studying in Europe to work in Canada / U.S.

Studying in Europe to work in Canada / U.S.

I have just completed my undergrad in Human Geography from UBC (Vancouver, Canada) and want to do a Masters in Planning.

I have been accepted to the University of Amsterdam's Master of Urban and Regional Planning. This degree is completely in English and is one-year long.

I was wondering what the reputation of having a masters degree from there would be?
    Also, how would that affect me from getting accreditation with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) or APA?

I would like to work in the future in Canada, the US or Australia. Would a degree from the Netherlands be looked down upon? I know the Netherlands has a good reputation in actual planning practice but don't know how their degrees would be viewed.

Also, would this be a bad idea simply in terms of networking and making connections. I am too late to apply to programs in Canada, but should I just try to get some relevant work experience and apply to Canadian universities next year?

Of course, I am really interested in studying in Europe and especially Amsterdam, but don't want to waste my time and money.

Mar 2008
    London, England
    I'd be interested to know what people say, free bump.

I've accepted at LSE to study urban and regional planning this Fall. From what I know the APA does require work experience, but there isn't a requirement for education. That said, I've heard it's much easier with an American Planning Degree, but not required.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Feb 2011, 9:29 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 7:16 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 9:01 AM
  4. Work in Europe - Spain
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Aug 2006, 6:08 PM