Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia's Best Small Towns: State by State - Nominations (Mountain States)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cyburbia's Best Small Towns: State by State - Nominations (Mountain States)

Many web sites and magazines do an annual "best of" feature, so why not Cyburbia? My thought is to come up with a list of our favorite small towns. One for each state. The only criteria is population, and I will arbitrarily define a small city as under 25,000. As for the rest, maybe you like it for its layout, its amenities, its downtown, or whatever.

This is a call for nominations. Since there are a lot of states I will break it up into regions. The next is the mountain region: Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico. I will put all of the nominations together in a survey later.

My nominations:

Wyoming - Green River. A surprise nomination. Not nice and touristy, but a gritty western town.

Colorado - Salida, one of my favorites anywhere. It has a great feel, good restaurants, a lively downtown with a kayak run, and makes a great base for enjoying the mountains all around.

Utah - Moab has become over-developed with chain sprawl, but is still ground zero for exploring the nearby national parks.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    CO - Breckenridge 20 yrs ago.
    UT - Logan - Utah State University, Logan Canyon
    WY - Evanston
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Colorado:
    Estes Park - The gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, this is a beautiful town, with breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains, and a rustic feel to it, despite having numerous tourist attractions. Opportunities for outdoor recreation abound, as do opportunities for shopping, dining, and the arts. It's also far enough away from Denver, yet just close enough so that one can easily access big city needs. The Stanley Hotel provided inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining. Also not your typical ski resort town...although skiing is nearby, Estes Park certainly has more to offer.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2008
    UTAH - Garden City. On the shore of Bear Lake, straddling the Utah/Idaho border. The lake water is gorgeous and clear, boating is fantastic, fishing is better and you're not 30 minutes from some great canyon camping, the Minnetonka cave, etc.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Springdale, UT

Touristy enough to provide what you need but still has small town charm and the entrance to Zion NP.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I really liked Aspen but that might not be a small town and I also liked Leadville and Georgetown (especially)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Colorado: There are a lot of great towns, but I'm going to steer away from the ski towns and go with Cortez, which is like an anti-ski town. Still nice, though, and not very touristy despite the many attractions in the area.

Wyoming: Thermopolis; great classic Western town.

Utah: Kanab; pleasant town in a remarkable red-rock setting.

New Mexico: It's hard to choose with so many interesting towns. I'll go with Cuba; tiny and very isolated, but precisely because of that equipped with a lot more than you might expect in a town its size, plus some great Mexican restaurants.

Registered
    May 2005
    New Mexico: I'll add Silver City (in the southwest part of the state - a very cute town trying very hard to turn it around), Truth or Consequences (which is seeing an interesting resurgence. They may change their name back to Hot Springs) and Madrid (pronounce MAD-rid. a funky old mining town revived by hippies in the 1960s and 70s). Santa Fe and Taos are still very interesting towns, but have become rather overrun with the very wealthy and boutique tourist stores. But still very beautiful.

And as Teofilo said, there are endless small towns scattered all over the state that have many interesting elements: Magdalena, Datil, Tierra Amarilla, Ojo Caliente, Abiquiu, Pinos Altos, Truchas, and so on.

But definitely not Deming...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2009

New Mexico - Hillsboro, Mesilla, Lincoln, Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Chama

Colorado - Durango

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 12:32 PM