Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia's Best Small Towns: State by State - Nominations (Far West)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cyburbia's Best Small Towns: State by State - Nominations (Far West)

Many web sites and magazines do an annual "best of" feature, so why not Cyburbia? My thought is to come up with a list of our favorite small towns. One for each state. The only criteria is population, and I will arbitrarily define a small city as under 25,000. As for the rest, maybe you like it for its layout, its amenities, its downtown, or whatever.

This is a call for nominations. Since there are a lot of states I will break it up into regions. The next is the far west: California, Arizona, and Nevada. I will put all of the nominations together in a survey later.

My nominations:

Just the obligatory nomination of Carmel by the Sea.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Fort Bragg
    Sonoma
    Mendocino

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Solvang, CA
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Tiburon, Ca (although it is not incorporated)
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Tiburon, Ca (although it is not incorporated)
    Nope. Incorporated in 1964. I know, because I interviewed there once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiburon,_California

I'd add Sausalito CA to the list.

Registered
    May 2004
    Trinidad, CA
    La Jolla, CA
    Avalon, CA
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Truckee, CA
    Crescent City, CA
    Sausalito, CA
    Last edited by Rygor; 24 Jun 2010 at 12:43 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I don't have much experience with small-town California or Nevada, but I have a lot of family in Arizona (most of them are either in Chicagoland or scattered throughout Arizona), so I'll throw in my 2.

Jerome, Arizona - Situated high on Mingus Mountain at the south end of the Verde Valley (Sedona, Cottonwood, etc. area between Phoenix and Flagstaff). Former mining camp, largely depopulated now, but crazy location (built along a winding road on the side of a 7,000+ ft. mountain), interesting museums and art shops, and fun places to eat/explore. If nothing else the trip to Jerome on Hwy 89A is worth a trip. Also, on clear days (which is fairly often - it is Arizona, still), you can see the San Francisco Peaks that tower over Flagstaff to the north above the Mogollon Rim and the Red Rocks near Sedona.

Bisbee, Arizona - Mining town-turned- art/quirky town in southern Arizona (pretty close to US/Mexican border). Really cool downtown/main street. Also noted for being very socially tolerant and having a wealth of haunted history. Tombstone isn't far away, either.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I don't have much experience with small-town California or Nevada, but I have a lot of family in Arizona (most of them are either in Chicagoland or scattered throughout Arizona), so I'll throw in my 2.

Jerome, Arizona - Situated high on Mingus Mountain at the south end of the Verde Valley (Sedona, Cottonwood, etc. area between Phoenix and Flagstaff). Former mining camp, largely depopulated now, but crazy location (built along a winding road on the side of a 7,000+ ft. mountain), interesting museums and art shops, and fun places to eat/explore. If nothing else the trip to Jerome on Hwy 89A is worth a trip. Also, on clear days (which is fairly often - it is Arizona, still), you can see the San Francisco Peaks that tower over Flagstaff to the north above the Mogollon Rim and the Red Rocks near Sedona.

Bisbee, Arizona - Mining town-turned- art/quirky town in southern Arizona (pretty close to US/Mexican border). Really cool downtown/main street. Also noted for being very socially tolerant and having a wealth of haunted history. Tombstone isn't far away, either.
    I've heard good things about both of those, but haven't been to either myself. Of the towns in Arizona I have been to, it's hard to pick a good one, but I'll go with Winslow. There's not much to it these days, but it has enormous potential.

California - Lone Pine. The other California, east of the Sierras. A classic western town in a spectacular location at the foot of Mt. Whitney.

Nevada - Virginia City. Pretty touristy, but still quit impressive in its location and the preservation of its many historic Old West buildings.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    Nevada - Virginia City. Pretty touristy, but still quit impressive in its location and the preservation of its many historic Old West buildings.
    My pick too, but not an incorporated city.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Do they have to be incorporated cities? That's going to rule out a bunch of places.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK if it is a Census MCD, but some places are too difficult to define. For example, somebody nominated Mendocino, and the only "place" by that name is a county.

Registered
    Dec 2009

California - Frazier Park, Sonora, Eureka, Carmel, Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande, San Miguel, Solvang, Lake Arrowhead, Rancho Santa Fe (exquisite), Solana Beach, Julian, Montecito, Summerland,

Nevada - Eureka...

Arizona - Wickenburg...

Registered
    Dec 2009

And for California, I'll add:

Sierra Madre

Villa Park

Emerald Bay

San Marino

Hidden Hills

Montrose

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Surprised no one has mentioned Auburn, CA. It's a great little town with some very impressive architecture and daily trains that run to the Bay Area (Amtrak Capitol Corridor).

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Mokuleia, Island of Oahu, Hawaii

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    OK if it is a Census MCD, but some places are too difficult to define. For example, somebody nominated Mendocino, and the only "place" by that name is a county.
    Not true. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendocino,_California

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

I will second Bisbee Arizona for sure......what a fantastic place!! #1 of the places I suggest people visit in Arizona just ahead of Flagstaff.

and for all you Mormons out there.....Panaca, Nevada
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I will second Bisbee Arizona for sure......what a fantastic place!! #1 of the places I suggest people visit in Arizona just ahead of Flagstaff.

Yes. Bisbee, definitely. It has a really cool Main Street, beautiful setting, a brewery row, and mining tours.

I will also second Jerome, AZ. Beautiful and quirky place with a lot of history. It's also known as being "Ghost Town USA" and embraces it with a number of haunted attractions and festivals. I still wear my "Haunted Hamburger" t-shirt all the time.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2008

No disrespect to Winnemucca, though, right?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha!

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    No disrespect to Winnemucca, though, right?
    I was 12 years old the last time I was in Winnemucca.....I slept through the drive by......but I do remember the smell
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I was 12 years old the last time I was in Winnemucca.....I slept through the drive by......but I do remember the smell
    You've got a lot of nerve not to wake up for Winnemucca! Or a lot of good common sense for a 12 year old. Probably the latter.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 12:28 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 6:58 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Jun 2010, 4:11 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 11:26 PM