Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Tangi Trail

Registered
    Mar 2009

The Tangi Trail

Hello Cyburbians. I would like to welcome you to check out The Tangi Trail: a vision for a RWT (rail-with-trail) along the active freight and passenger Illinois Central Railroad corridor in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana. After patenting the idea, getting the idea favored by the local port commission, and going viral with a favorable interview by a local TV station and newspaper, I started a Facebook page around a month ago to raise public awareness and to see who in the public and business owners would favor the idea. Since its inception a month ago, I have gotten a rousing amount of favorable "likes", 270 and counting. Here is the public Facebook page on The Tangi Trail link with graphics, GIS maps, articles, the TV link and information about the trail:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ta...75641572453690

I am originally from Tangipahoa Parish but have now live in Portland, Oregon practicing Landscape Architecture and Planning more specifically on bike and pedestrian infrastructure. In a pro-bono effort, I evaluated the railroad corridor with G.I.S., a mile on either side of the corridor, as to what and who would access the proposed trial (multi-family, single family, commercial, institutional, etc.) Along with one of the fastest growing universities in the south and around 20 schools (high, middle and elementary), the trail would serve the growing and vital towns of Tangipahoa Parish, the second fastest growing parish in Louisiana, and the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Thanks for checking it out.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You might be interested in this. We have a trail called the Dequindre Cut. Its in an old Railroad ROW and half has been reserved should we need to run trains in it again. It links our riverwalk with a historic market and travels below grade theough a neighborhood where each unit including retail was designed by Mies Van der Rhoe.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Interesting related website: rails WITH trails

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the links. I am a member of RTC, but I had no idea that there was a separate RWT website. Very useful info.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Trail Mix (AIB dandy)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 27 May 2010, 7:54 PM
  2. Trail signage
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 6:40 AM
  3. Trail Nazi goes 2K
    Friday Afternoon Club