Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job+internship

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Job+internship

Hi all,

Just wondering is it possible to get a part time job working for a local government or private firm in Urban Planning whilst studying at College in 1st year/ approaching 2nd?

If yes- how do I go on to apply, it feels weird to email asking for a job, i don't know it seems desperate? In other words, please help with the wording! I really prefer to get a part time job doing something in local government than serve fries or make patties.

If no-bummer

Internship. I know of several private firms which offer it, at what year in your degree do you suggest is alright to undertake an internship for the sake of experience and fun?

1st, 2nd , 3rd???

I am really keen on 2nd year because in my final year I don't want to do an internship and miss out on a whole lot of course work in College if that makes sense. Currently in 1st and second year you can afford to dodge a few subjects

I might be changing colleges, and if I do there is a compulsory internship requirement in 4th year, but I really want to do one BEFORE i get to that stage.

It may be useful to note, I plan to do the internship overseas i think it goes for 2-3 months or up to a semester.
    Last edited by user123; 30 Jun 2010 at 3:51 AM. Reason: added clarification

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    bump..........

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by user123 View post
    bump..........
    I HATE that!
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Live with it

I always delete it after doing that, because when I do do it, I usually get an informed discussion going on. Which I am hoping is the case here...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Your post hadn't moved off the front page. If anyone had something to add to it, they would have. *bump* is really only if it is an old thread, or if it has somehow moved off the front page where people would see it.

I think that you should take an internship anywhere that someone will take you. In the US there are many more internships during the Summer, as most students are out of school and the timing works for part-time employment at governments or private companies.

In this economy, I would be working backwards - get the internship first, then figure out how to work your life around it. You do not have the luxury to be picky. Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The next internship
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jul 2011, 12:39 PM
  2. Internship
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 4:34 PM
  3. Internship?
    Student Commons