Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: U.S. planner working in Europe

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries

U.S. planner working in Europe

I'm a U.S. planner who is considering working in Europe for a couple of years. Being a U.S. citizen with no connections abroad, I'm looking for stories of other people in the planning profession who have made similar leaps.

I've researched the UK's tier 1 and tier 2 visas. I am a few points shy of qualifying for tier 1, and tier 2, I believe, requires a job offer from a British firm before relocation - something I think would be extremely difficult given this economy.

Does anyone have experiernce with UK's skilled immigrant program? Are there other European countries which would be preferrable for a U.S. planner? I'd like to keep my options open, so I'm not really set on the UK. I have about 4 years of experience in planning (land use and transportation), and I think this would be a great time in my career to get international exposure and make a bold move.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Do you speak any languages other than English?

I haven't checked recently but my understanding is that the UK job market for planners isn't doing too badly (at least for transport planners). It wouldn't hurt to apply to some jobs and see what sort of response you get first before contemplating this much further.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. [OMG!] Europe is better than America
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 4:14 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Nov 2010, 10:39 PM
  3. Greetings from Europe!!!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Jan 2009, 12:11 PM