Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What role do planners play at law firms, and how do you get a job at one?

Registered
    Jul 2010

What role do planners play at law firms, and how do you get a job at one?

Has anyone worked as a planner at a law firm? Where? Do you know of anymore? Did you just have a MURP or a JD too? Any help is appreciated!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Learning more about, Written "communication" might B a gud first step.

More to the point, during my site acquisition management work I have encountered many low-level attorneys; not impressed. They all seemed to be more interested in running up the billable hours than in solving problems and "gittin' 'er done." And I've never met anyone who was trained in both fields.

HTH

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I've personally never met a planner (i.e. someone with a MRP/MUP but without a JD) working for a law firm. I have met plenty of lawyers working in the planning realm as advisors to the planning process (though my experiences were more positive than Veloise's), and I knew one lawyer with an AICP who had worked for both planning firms and law firms. I also know that some planning programs have joined with law schools to allow you to have a double major in law and planning (such as UMASS/Amherst and Western New England College (WNEC) dual degree).

In short, I've met lots of JD's in the planning field, but I've never met a MRP/MUP in the legal field.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Learning more about, Written "communication" might B a gud first step.

HTH
    Lol, thanks Veloise, gud advice bud.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm deciding whether it's worth my time and money pursuing a MURP/JD program and doubling my student loans and time in school, as opposed to just the MURP.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I worked for a law firm in a large metro area that had planners on the staff, but no planners with a JD. The planners did the planning srtuff on applications and the lawyers did the legal staff. Yes, there is substantial overlap, but most lawyers know very little about planning per se, even those whose practice is primarily land use. Those who worked more on the development side (real estate finance) seemed to know more about planning than those on the land use side.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the JD/MURP could put you into a consulting firm pretty easily, if there was any consulting work to be had. I think the economy will stay bad for real estate for another 4 or 5 years, so spending a few more years in school might be a good thing as you wait out the storm.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I worked for a law firm in a large metro area that had planners on the staff, but no planners with a JD. The planners did the planning srtuff on applications and the lawyers did the legal staff. Yes, there is substantial overlap, but most lawyers know very little about planning per se, even those whose practice is primarily land use. Those who worked more on the development side (real estate finance) seemed to know more about planning than those on the land use side.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the JD/MURP could put you into a consulting firm pretty easily, if there was any consulting work to be had. I think the economy will stay bad for real estate for another 4 or 5 years, so spending a few more years in school might be a good thing as you wait out the storm.
    Otis is wise. OMG! Did I type that?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 57
    Last post: 23 May 2013, 5:29 PM
  2. Planning firms without planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 16 May 2011, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 4:29 PM
  4. Replies: 5