Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: First grant writing experiences

BANNED
    Registered
    Jun 2010

First grant writing experiences

I am taking a stab at applying for my first grant for my planning agency and it got me thinking- what did others learn from their first experiences writing grant proposals? What was the grant for, did you get the funding, what was the hardest part about it? For me I'm struggling with the budget narrative. This is for establishing a new environmental program and I'm afraid I'm forgetting some indirect costs.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I reviewed grant proposals for a regional transportation planning agency when I was working in the Cleveland area. I always kept copies of the highest scoring requests as examples to cities and towns in the county where I worked, when they were considering applying for grants under the same program.

Ask the grant-making agency for examples of successful grant proposals. A couple of years, we didn't all of the funds we were allocated for grants, because many of the proposals were irrelevant or poorly written. Unless such funds are are rolled over to the next year, it's not a position a grant-making agency wants to find themselves in; the funds for future grants may be cut. Grant-making agencies want to make awards to deserving projects.

When I reviewed grant proposals, I preferred those that were concise, in plain English, and include images and graphics that kept my attention and helped me better visualize the proposal. Avoid TLDR (too long, didn't read) syndrome, especially if your grant proposal will be reviewed by a committee, and competition is fierce.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    The OP is a spammer from India. They even fooled me. Please understand that if you post a response, the OP will probably not be reading them.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grant writing
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 8:05 AM
  2. First grant writing experiences?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Oct 2008, 10:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Oct 2008, 3:57 PM