Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Everything that's wrong with sportscasting and analysis: Split from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Mar 2007

Everything that's wrong with sportscasting and analysis: Split from RTDNTOTO

I am so tired of all the LeBron James free-agency hype. Yes, I think he is an awesome player, but stunts like tonight's hour long special announcing his decision on ESPN are the reasons I absolutely cannot stand 99% of sports analysis/broadcasting personalities and formats.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I am so tired of all the LeBron James free-agency hype. Yes, I think he is an awesome player, but stunts like tonight's hour long special announcing his decision on ESPN are the reasons I absolutely cannot stand 99% of sports analysis/broadcasting personalities and formats.
    Exact reason why i hate the NBA, and for that matter have all but stopped watching sportscenter (well that and the east coast bias). God i miss Comcast Sports Bay Area
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Here's a somewhat relevant article about sports analysis that ran in the Atlantic

I think it's amusing how sportcasters so often make pre-game analyses/predictions that end up being completely wrong, and yet no one ever seems to notice or acknowlege this fact. They're on next week business as usual as if nothing went amiss and doing the same thing all over again.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I think it's amusing how sportcasters so often make pre-game analyses/predictions that end up being completely wrong, and yet no one ever seems to notice or acknowlege this fact. They're on next week business as usual as if nothing went amiss and doing the same thing all over again.
    I think nobody ever calls them out on it because it's widely accepted that most folks in that industry are idiots.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think Lebron James has ruined his reputation... even if he stays in Cleveland...

On sportscasters - they are really just like political talking heads - they know a lot about the topic, but don't have any better idea than the average joe about what is going to happen next. They would never let you know that though, so they just throw crap out there.

Steven A. Smith said a month ago that it was a done deal for Lebron to be in Miami. He had no clue. But if Lebron goes (which the sportscasters are predicting ) he is a genius. Nevermind the fact that he has changed his story 10 times in the last month.

It is like saying every possible scenario on air and then once a choice is made saying, "see I said that last week".

Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are wizards at this. Maybe the sports world should take note
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha!

That's why I only watch/listen to Jim Rome
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well Lebron did it. Making himself look like a fool. And now we have to deal with Steven A. Smith being right.... which hurts me.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    They had ESPN on one of the TVs at the Y. They were still running stories about LaBron. Ya know, you should stop trying to milking that cow, it's probably dry.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well, the ongoing comedy show for us here in northeastern Wisconsin is the continuing saga of Brent Who? and the Vikings.

And least when he bolted town, the Packers had an able successor who was all groomed and ready to go and life continued on here without skipping a beat!

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Aug 2010, 6:10 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 12:07 PM
  5. Replies: 36