Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Netflix recommendations

  1. #1

    Netflix recommendations

    Thanks to a birthday present, I know have Netflix for the next three months. Since I'll be traveling the next two months, that will come in handy. I am looking for recommendations. First off, no pron and chick shows. So far, I'm looking at The Defenders, Stranger Things and House of Cards.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,270
    I recommend BoJack Horseman and Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt.

    If you have any favorite comedians, NetFlix usually has some good stand-up specials from them. I like to turn them on as background noise if I am doing something else around the house. If I catch a joke and laugh great! If I'm not paying attention and miss some stuff, no big deal.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  3. #3
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    11,669
    Black Mirror is kind of a updated Twilight Zone with some WTF twists and lots of social commentary about technology and society. Just get passed the first one. It's kind of gross.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Thanks to a birthday present, I know have Netflix for the next three months. Since I'll be traveling the next two months, that will come in handy. I am looking for recommendations. First off, no pron and chick shows. So far, I'm looking at The Defenders, Stranger Things and House of Cards.
    What qualifies as a chick show?

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    10,243
    Death In Paradise
    Doc Martin

    2 decent British comedies series - I like DiP while Mrs. P likes DocM a little more. Both good.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  6. #6
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Black Mirror is kind of a updated Twilight Zone with some WTF twists and lots of social commentary about technology and society. Just get passed the first one. It's kind of gross.
    Thanks for reminding me on that one. I had heard of it before, wanted to see it, and forgotten about it.

    GT-A Walk in the Clouds, The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, etc. Sweet Home Alabama was borderline, but was pretty good in spite of that.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  7. #7
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    10,296
    All the ones listed as well as on the thread about binge watching and here's most of mine:

    Cleverman
    Limitless
    Burn Notice
    Blacklist
    Luther
    Hinterland
    Master of None
    Shetland
    Crossing Lines
    The Following
    White Collar
    Jack Taylor
    The Killing
    Touch
    Bloodline
    Wallander
    dicte
    Better Call Saul
    Dexter
    Republic of Doyle
    Marcella
    Frequency
    River
    London Spy
    Paranoid
    Schitt's Creek
    Lillyhammer
    Battle Creek
    The 100
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    GT-A Walk in the Clouds, The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, etc. Sweet Home Alabama was borderline, but was pretty good in spite of that.
    You may have enjoyed those particular movies more than I did based on that response!

  9. #9
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    23,306
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    What qualifies as a chick show?
    It would take a chick to even consider posing that question
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It would take a chick to even consider posing that question
    By that logic, then, anything I suggested would be a chick show. So I've clearly learned my place and now know my opinion is not valued in this thread. I will now retire to my rightful place... some kitchen somewhere fixing some man a sandwich.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    You may have enjoyed those particular movies more than I did based on that response!
    Shows I saw with the ex. A better way to phase that are romances.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    All the ones listed as well as on the thread about binge watching and here's most of mine:

    Cleverman
    Limitless
    Burn Notice
    Blacklist
    Luther
    Hinterland
    Master of None
    Shetland
    Crossing Lines
    The Following
    White Collar
    Jack Taylor
    The Killing
    Touch
    Bloodline
    Wallander
    dicte
    Better Call Saul
    Dexter
    Republic of Doyle
    Marcella
    Frequency
    River
    London Spy
    Paranoid
    Schitt's Creek
    Lillyhammer
    Battle Creek
    The 100
    I've heard of Wallander and heard it's good. I've seen two seasons of Luther and it is excellent.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    10,296
    I forgot other favorites - Occupied and Shetland too - both are really good
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

  14. #14
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knee deep in the hoopla
    Posts
    1,798
    I'm watching The Defenders now and am enjoying it. I also liked the individual seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil. Some of the endless ninja fighting did get a little tiresome in the second season of Daredevil though. :-P Of the three I enjoyed Jessica Jones the most, but Daredevil would give you the most background info into Defenders. I haven't had the interest in watching the Iron Fist guy's series yet, maybe at some point.

    I feel like I should have more recommendations than that, will have to recall what I've been watching.

  15. #15
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    23,306
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    All the ones listed as well as on the thread about binge watching and here's most of mine:

    Cleverman
    Limitless
    Burn Notice
    Blacklist
    Luther
    Hinterland
    Master of None
    Shetland
    Crossing Lines
    The Following
    White Collar
    Jack Taylor
    The Killing
    Touch
    Bloodline
    Wallander
    dicte
    Better Call Saul
    Dexter
    Republic of Doyle
    Marcella
    Frequency
    River
    London Spy
    Paranoid
    Schitt's Creek
    Lillyhammer
    Battle Creek
    The 100
    WYP said he got Netflix free for the next 3 months, not years!

    To this list I would also add:
    Longmire
    Foyle's War
    You can see Doc Martin on PBS but it's also available on Netflix
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  16. #16
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    8,270
    BBC's Sherlock is also available on NetFlix and it's awesome.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  17. #17
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    I'm watching The Defenders now and am enjoying it. I also liked the individual seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daredevil. Some of the endless ninja fighting did get a little tiresome in the second season of Daredevil though. :-P Of the three I enjoyed Jessica Jones the most, but Daredevil would give you the most background info into Defenders. I haven't had the interest in watching the Iron Fist guy's series yet, maybe at some point.

    I feel like I should have more recommendations than that, will have to recall what I've been watching.
    I really liked Jessica Jones. It's incredibly dark. However, they just have the first season available and I've already seen it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Netflix
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Sep 2016, 6:05 PM
  2. Making a Murder on Netflix
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2016, 2:00 AM
  3. cable, netflix, or huluplus?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 16 Oct 2014, 3:20 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Sep 2011, 4:50 PM
  5. Netflix, Anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Oct 2002, 5:54 PM