Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Searching for properties

Registered
    Jan 2005

Searching for properties

In the U.S. it is very simple to find out who owns a property, and how much property they own. You can go to almost any County or State webpage, go to the Auditor, and search the property records.

It is not that simple in Australia. Anyone know of an easy way to search for property owners within specific jurisdictions? I.e. I know they live at 100 Main Street, Melbourne. Or I am looking for John Smith who I know lives in Geelong.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Nope not that easy!
    I know this may sound ridiculous- but perhaps try a whitepages search- you may find it in there! (unless their phone number is silent!)

In NSW, you could do a search for a particular property at Councils, but for an search of a particular person, i think you need to go to the Lands Department, which is a state government office. Not quite sure about Victoria
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2009
    The DCDB gives you spatial representation in QLD of the property boundaries related to property descriptions in QLD.

DERM and the SVS (State Valuation Service) provide the valuation and datasets.

Queensland Valuation and Sales Database. (QVAS).

Great when packaged into GIS and merged with Census data, but doesn't get updated often.

You are probably looking for something like this

I have no idea why in Australia everything is made difficult regarding land and title ownership / lookups.
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Woolley View post

You are probably looking for something like this
    That program doesnt actually go into title ownership- its more a spatial information system
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2009
    It says property, valuation, titling and registry services in the flash animation
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is a service that you have to pay for though. I was hoping to find something that was free - as it is in the states.

Is this a privacy issue in Australia or do they just keep property info as a way to make a little more money?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    This is a service that you have to pay for though. I was hoping to find something that was free - as it is in the states.

Is this a privacy issue in Australia or do they just keep property info as a way to make a little more money?
    I dont believe its a privacy issue- as anyone anywhere has access to title information- you just have to pay for it. In NSW some titles may require a physical search, But you are probably safe to assume that it is a way of making $$$

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I dont believe its a privacy issue- as anyone anywhere has access to title information- you just have to pay for it. In NSW some titles may require a physical search, But you are probably safe to assume that it is a way of making $$$
    Well thanks for the help. If you find anyway to search for property owners or by any other free means, please keep me posted.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Yes it is privacy (piracy...)

Councils do not generally do not supply the owner's name over the counter. The reason are the various Privacy Legislation depending on State. Councils do supply owner's name and details if the matter was to do with dividing fencing. So Councils palm you off to get a Title Search.
    Let's put it another way, why do you want to know of who owns a particlar land parcel??
    If you owned many properties, you become a target for law suits, even if they are all involve bank loans. This is where the privacy restriction is very good. There is more of a recorded effort on behalf of the enquirier for a title search. At least it is not easy to search on a particualr person, just on a particular land parcel. Makes good sense to me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Aug 2008, 3:05 PM
  2. Searching an Internship!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Nov 2006, 8:47 AM
  3. Searching an Internship!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2006, 8:03 AM