Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City and regional planning major?

City and regional planning major?

I'm a student going into my sophomore year at Ohio State and I want to get into a field like like urban or regional planning. I'm wondering if its smart to major specifically in city and regional planning, or if it's better to major in something else and then get my masters? I'm mostly wondering because it seems like the specific major would limit you as far as jobs go.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Why do you want to be a planner?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    By all means, take an urban planning class. Then after your sophomore year, seek a summer internship to gain valuable real-world experience into the day-to-day activities of urban planning. Then when you are a junior, you will have something to base a decision on, in terms of deciding a major. It's still early for you, there is time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    If you're doing a B.A., then your major should not hinder your ability to do anything else after.

As suggested, take a few classes, and an internship or two.; but If you're still questioning your decision then you got your answer. The interesting, and well-paid, planning jobs require people with passion for the field.

If you're looking for a quick buck with a safe major, then look somewhere else.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Apr 2009, 8:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Aug 2008, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jan 2003, 8:41 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 1998, 10:44 PM