Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Current job market in western Canada

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008

Current job market in western Canada

I recently completed my Master's in Planning and have been on the search for jobs in Western Canada for the past three months.

I've been working off the usual job boards out here (CIP, PIBC, AACIP, CivicInfo etc.) but this is my first sojourn into the planning market, so I lack a reference point. How is the job scene at the moment? Good, bad? Normal?

There seems to have been a fair number of positions over the past three months (but again, I have no reference) and I've applied for about 16 entry-level planner I and planning tech/assistant jobs throughout BC and Alberta. I wasn't gunning for anything above my weight class...although the tech positions are usually reserved for the diploma guys. Not one interview.

Fair enough...I'm a typical newly-minted planning school graduate with limited experience (and I went to school out East, but I'm from BC)...but to be honest...I would have expected at least one interview...especially for some of the assistant jobs.

Anyways this leads me to believe...

1. There are a shit-load of unemployed and freshly graduated planners in BC gunning for a tiny number of positions.
    2. I'm presently worthless to municipalities/firms

Any similar experiences?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    I'm in central Alberta and the market is certainly slower than it was, but I'd say it is normal again rather than slow. The last few years were crazy and it has definately leveled off but there still appear to be jobs on a fairly regular basis through the AACIP and a number of the large municipalities' websites. I'm not actively looking or monitoring the situation but I hear fairly regularly from organizations that hiring.

Good luck with your search.

alh

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the reply,

Good to hear that things are normal. Yeah, I've applied for a few positions in Alberta and I've noticed that some of the more rural-county jobs have been re-posted over the past few months. I imagine that it is quite difficult to obtain people in those areas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    I was wondering if, in your experience, Canadian cities will seriously consider an American planner (dual citizen) or if such a resume gets tossed unless the applicant is truly stellar. I have applied for jobs that meet my experience level, and am currently interested in western Canada. I am not in the Pacific NW so I can't claim that connection.

It seems during the boom times in Alberta, it was common to hire American planners. Aside from that, do you see many American planners crossing the border?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    I'm no expert on this but I think you are right in boom times we are much more open to hiring foreign workers, partially because of federal requirements to prove that there is no suitable canadian candidate prior to hiring a foreign worker. In boom times this is easier to prove. When the market is normal like it is now we are less likely to look abroad.

Since you have dual citizenship you should try to clearly indicate that in your application, otherwise when they see an american address they are likely to toss it because they'll assume you are american and that puts you at a disadvantage over canadian applicants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:04 AM
  2. Current planning job prospects in Canada
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 9:43 PM
  3. hi from western mass
    Introduce Yourself