Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Environmental planning trend

Environmental planning trend

golly, I knew things were grim in Portland, but didn't realize so many planners everywhere were struggling in the current job market...

I am starting a MURP program in the fall with tons of GIS experience, 2 years in consulting as an environmental scientist, and an undergrad degree in natural resources under my belt. Many of the aspects in planning are enticing to me, however, I want to leverage my background and experience to pursue environmental planning after graduation.

so my questions are:

1) How much will I be pigeon-holed when I apply for jobs that desire GIS skills. I realize I will ultimately be the one who decides if I will let that happen, but I won't be too picky once I graduate 60k+ in debt.
    2) Will 2 years of consulting as a scientist work in my favor, even if it wasn't direct planning experience?
    3) It seems everybody is catching on to the env. planning trend. How long until THIS market becomes saturated?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3) It seems everybody is catching on to the env. planning trend. How long until THIS market becomes saturated?
    Most env. planning is because regulation requires it: NEPA, Climate Change, etc. So the risk of it becoming over saturated is remote compared to, say, urban design being so closely tied to the vagaries of the housing market. In other words, the demand for env. planning has a more solid and permanent foundation that many other fields.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Masters in environmental planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Apr 2011, 5:33 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Feb 2011, 6:22 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Oct 2010, 5:33 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Jul 2010, 6:43 AM
  5. Is there a trend away from chain stores?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Sep 2009, 11:18 AM