Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AICP exam prep May 2011

Registered
    Aug 2009

AICP exam prep May 2011

Hi,

I am taking the exam this coming fall and am interested in buying Michael Waiczis' s study material. Does anyone know how to get them?

AICP exam study Guide or flash cards

Does any one have a used AICP exam study Guide or flash cards? I'm getting ready to take the Exam in May 2011. Please let me know and how much would you like for it.

Thnaks a lot!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by adriana.cocannouer View post
    Does any one have a used AICP exam study Guide or flash cards? I'm getting ready to take the Exam in May 2011. Please let me know and how much would you like for it.

Thnaks a lot!
    Almost all the material that is available for free is better than the paid stuff. Check out the AICP thread in the sticky. The free information from the states is better than anything you will pay for. Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

I want to ask the same question. Did you find out?

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker

Several threads (posted to the Introduce Yourself and Cyburbia Issues and Help forums) moved and stuck here. Please contain ALL discussion about the May 2011 AICP test to this thread!

Thank you, good luck, and carry on!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2009
    New England area planners: I got this on the NNECAPA listserv today (please note that the 'I' referenced is not me):

Greetings, planners:
    Owing to popular demand, I’ll be conducting two sessions next month for AICP exam candidates and those considering applying for the exam. The sessions will be for two hours and will feature a short overview of the exam content, review of sample questions, and plenty of time for Q&A.
    If you’ve recently passed the exam and want to help your fellow planners, let me know and we’ll save you a seat so you can share your wisdom!

Session #1
    Friday, April 15
    3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
    Portsmouth Public Library
    MacLeod Board Room
    175 Parrott Avenue
    Portsmouth, NH

Session #2
    Tuesday, April 19
    4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
    Vermont Law School
    Oakes Hall, Room 207
    South Royalton, VT
    Campus map: http://forms.vermontlaw.edu/extended/map.html

RSVP at least 48 hours in advance of whichever session you want to attend, in case there are any changes (location, time, etc.).

I won't post the contact/rsvp info here so that I'm throwing somebody's email into cyberspace, but if you're interested I will forward it through private messaging.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    When I took the exam, we had dozens of posts and last minute freak-outs. Isn't anybody taking it next month?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's the "economy," silly... How can unemployed planners take exams?

This said, yes, I am taking it... but not sweating too much... Studying about 5 hours per week... for 2 months... Enough life given away, so if I don't pass, I probably won't take it again...

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by bocian View post
    It's the "economy," silly... How can unemployed planners take exams?

This said, yes, I am taking it... but not sweating too much... Studying about 5 hours per week... for 2 months... Enough life given away, so if I don't pass, I probably won't take it again...
    I can appreciate that. I'm not sure I would have taken it if my employer didn't pay for the exam fee. Good luck to everybody taking it this month.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    When I took the exam, we had dozens of posts and last minute freak-outs. Isn't anybody taking it next month?
    Yep. On 5/18. I try to study as much as possible everyday.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2011
    Good luck all!! Who else is holding a cram sesh this weekend??

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I am going through a major cram sess right now. Want to hear a freak-out story? Sure ya do! They're always enjoyable. So I scheduled the exam some time ago and have always thought after that it was May 19th. I went to go to Prometric's website a couple weeks ago to confirm but didn't see where to get to my interview, so quickly got frustrated and gave up. My plan along, and has been, to study here in there each day becoming familiar with the topics and then do a 3 day cram sess testing myself and what not. But yesterday I get an email reminder saying my exam is tomorrow. Awesome. So I studied 13 hours yesterday and going on 4-5 today. I have no idea still why I was so convinced it was the 19th but it certainly got stuck in there. Anyways, good luck to all taking this May, I know I sure as hell am going to need it!

~Jake

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I'm taking it first thing Monday morning (5/16). At best, I'll get to slap those four letters onto the end of my title and get some new business cards; at worst, I'll get paid for taking an exam I didn't pass (though I doubt that will be the case). I've been studying for 2 weeks or so for about 5 to 10 hours a week, and I think I'll be alright. I finished grad school a relatively short time ago, so I've basically been rattling all these planning factoids, most of which have no place in my area of practice, from the deep recesses of my brain. I've been scrounging up practice questions and practice tests from wherever I can find them, and have been working through them for most of my study time.

I reviewed some of the threads for past exam periods and they've been way more active than this year's! What's up with that?! Isn't anyone concerned?! Or is everyone just unemployed?!

Registered
    May 2011
    Your right, its so quiet. It's scary! Good luck tomorrow! let us know how it goes.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I passed. Got a 59. Didn't pass by much, but I guess it doesn't matter. The questions are predominantly situation-based, and more often than not, you can eliminate two questions right off the bat. There was very little on "straight up" ethics, and history/law. There were A LOT of tiered questions, and a lot of questions on public participation, visioning, and situation-based ethics (which shouldn't be too hard if you know right from wrong). If I can help any of you guys with anything else, don't be afraid to ask. My biggest piece of advice would be to use the time you're given. I went through the test once and marked questions I couldn't answer right off the bat, and went back through repeatedly with the goal of unmarking the questions once I felt comfortable with the answers. Don't be afraid to take a break. Even though the time is running, it helps to clear your head! I used 2 hours and 40 minutes of my 3 hours. You should have plenty of time. Good luck to you guys. It's more of a relief than a feeling of happiness once you find out you passed!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Congrats on the pass. Welcome to double due paying bliss... Well at least in 4 months when you can use your letters.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Congrats on the pass!!

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Thanks, guys! Glad to be a part of the esteemed community (and pay double dues)!

Registered
    May 2003
    Passed today with a 63. Wu and who....!

Studying was not a problem and after 8-1/2 years of professional experience I should pass easily.

Time to change those business cards.
    Last edited by mendelman; 19 May 2011 at 8:22 AM.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Passed today with a 63. Wu and who....!

Studying was not a problem and after 8-1/2 years of professional experience I should pass easily.

Time to change those business cards.
    Congrats!!! I am sure you will feel the gratification in 6 months... or maybe more.

Registered
    May 2011
    passed with a 55.
    skin of my teeth.
    2 questions.
    1. can that score be revised down during verification? For instance if i got some of the unscored/trial questions correct
    2. all the practice exams i took through planetizen seemed far easier than today's exam; does anyone else feel the same?

Registered
    Jan 2011

Big day tomorrow

Quote Originally posted by ARR715 View post
    I passed. Got a 59. Didn't pass by much, but I guess it doesn't matter. The questions are predominantly situation-based, and more often than not, you can eliminate two questions right off the bat. There was very little on "straight up" ethics, and history/law. There were A LOT of tiered questions, and a lot of questions on public participation, visioning, and situation-based ethics (which shouldn't be too hard if you know right from wrong). If I can help any of you guys with anything else, don't be afraid to ask. My biggest piece of advice would be to use the time you're given. I went through the test once and marked questions I couldn't answer right off the bat, and went back through repeatedly with the goal of unmarking the questions once I felt comfortable with the answers. Don't be afraid to take a break. Even though the time is running, it helps to clear your head! I used 2 hours and 40 minutes of my 3 hours. You should have plenty of time. Good luck to you guys. It's more of a relief than a feeling of happiness once you find out you passed!
    Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty much of the mind set that I don't care what happens as long as I get my life back...but it would be nice to get the raise associated with having four letters behind my name.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by vidro3 View post
    1. can that score be revised down during verification? For instance if i got some of the unscored/trial questions correct
    I wondered that, too. That'd be a pretty cold move for them to revise down. But at the same time, I'm not sure. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't.

I didn't take any of the Planetizen exams either. So, I can't comment on that.
    Last edited by mendelman; 19 May 2011 at 8:23 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Congrats!!! I am sure you will feel the gratification in 6 months... or maybe more.
    Actually, when I was hired a nice raise was guaranteed after passing, so that better not take 6 months.

The good thing was that I wasn't nervous, I just wanted to get it over and move on.

So, I guess I'm a "good" planner now?
    Last edited by mendelman; 19 May 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Actually, when I was hired a nice raise was guaranteed after passing, so that better not take 6 months.

The good thing was that I wasn't nervous, I just wanted to get it over and move on.

So, I guess a "good" planner now?
    It will take 4 months to get your approval for the letters. Hopefully it isn't tied to that.

You are a "good" planner in APA's eyes as long as you pay your dues on time.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP exam prep May 2010
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 147
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 2:20 PM
  2. AICP exam prep November 2009
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 149
    Last post: 01 Mar 2010, 1:39 PM
  3. Replies: 0