Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AICP exam prep May 2011

Registered
    Jan 2011

Passed!

It took me about 1.5 hours to answer all of the questions. Then I took another hour to go back and review the questions I had marked. After that I started to review all my answers, but was so burned out after 20 questions that I just pushed the submit button.

I was pleasantly surprised to only have one census question since I only studied the census info for about 30 minutes total. Like everyone else, I had a lot of questions that were process based and tiered.

I don't know if all of the testing centers do this, but I was allowed to start the test prior to my scheduled exam period (by about 15 minutes).

Overall, the test wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I primarily used the Planetizen study course, made a lot of flash cards, attended the PA Chapter's prep course, read about a third of the Everyday Ethics book, and never really opened the green bible. Ironically the testing center was on Garden City Drive.

Good luck to the few who haven't taken it yet!

PS: If getting a raise wasn't enough of a bonus, my dog decided to reward me with explosive diarrhea all over my carpeted front porch...
    Last edited by jshuston; 19 May 2011 at 6:12 PM. Reason: wrong wording

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by vidro3 View post
    passed with a 55.
    skin of my teeth.
    2 questions.
    1. can that score be revised down during verification? For instance if i got some of the unscored/trial questions correct
    2. all the practice exams i took through planetizen seemed far easier than today's exam; does anyone else feel the same?
    1. I'm sure they reserve the right to do that but I don't think it actually happens regularly.

Registered
    May 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    1. I'm sure they reserve the right to do that but I don't think it actually happens regularly.
    do you think it is so rare that I should feel safe announcing that I passed to my company?

Registered
    May 2011
    Wooo those few seconds while you hear the computer grind and wait for the results about gave me a heart attack
    But I passed it!!!

Just a few quick thoughts...
    I spent waaay too much time fretting about specific details and dates, just have a idea of concepts and order.
    Only focus on the big court cases and key figures.
    Except Charles Abrams (question on my exam) who da is he??? lol
    More difficult than I thought it was going to be!
    I wouldn't purchase any study materials or the planetizen course, all the free stuff was sufficient. The only book that I purchased was Everyday Ethics.
    studied about 40 hours.

Anyone know what is the perfect score??

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by f1ape View post
    Except Charles Abrams (question on my exam) who da is he???
    Yeah, I had that question too. It was one of the few I simply guessed at. Exactly, who the hell is that guy?

I hope that was one of the questions they were testing.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

I also thought it was a little difficult. I was doing really well on the practice tests, so I'd hoped that I'd retained enough of the facts to get through it alright. Unfortunately, I made a 51... obviously not what I was hoping for. Don't want to do this again. The hardest part, I don't really know how to be better prepared for the next time. The ones I struggled with did not have straighforward answers. I'm not sure how to study for those.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quite difficult and focused on historic preservation and public outreach/input. 1 law case and 2 history questions TOTAL, so my main advice would be NOT TO spend too much time studying and trying to memorize those areas...

Oh, and I PASSED. Now I can get a raise!

Quote Originally posted by Pecan2011 View post
    I also thought it was a little difficult. I was doing really well on the practice tests, so I'd hoped that I'd retained enough of the facts to get through it alright. Unfortunately, I made a 51... obviously not what I was hoping for. Don't want to do this again. The hardest part, I don't really know how to be better prepared for the next time. The ones I struggled with did not have straighforward answers. I'm not sure how to study for those.
    Yes, I have no idea how a candidate could study better study for the exam --- none of the study materials would have helped to answer some of the questions IMHO... Probably most answers come from living and breathing planning day to day (??)

This particular question will haunt me from now on... "What's the primary reason for assigning street names"?
    Last edited by mendelman; 23 May 2011 at 3:33 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2011

Any word yet?

Has anyone gotten anything in the mail about paying their AICP dues? I guess we are lucky if it takes less than two months...

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I passed last May, and didn't get my stuff until July 15th (I'm looking at the letter up on my bulletin board ). So unless they've sped stuff up since then, plan to wait a few more weeks. But yeah, the waiting is annoying, especially if you can't get reimbursed until you have the actual designation, which occurs when you pay yet another bill!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you get it before the middle of July you will be lucky. I would guess more in the line of late July. It seems that they stream in each year after July 1.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    When you recieved your official report in July, did invoice come with it?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TSPlan View post
    When you recieved your official report in July, did invoice come with it?
    Yep they want money before you can use your letters. When they finally accept you they ask for money first.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Right.. forgot about that

Registered
    Jan 2011

Almost AICP

I got my invoice last week. I was told that I can use my letters as soon as the check is cashed.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 May 2015, 8:45 AM
  2. AICP exam prep May 2010
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 147
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 2:20 PM
  3. AICP exam prep November 2009
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 149