Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TxAPA/APATX fall conference

Registered
    Aug 2004

TxAPA/APATX fall conference

I've decided I'm going this year. I haven't been since it was in Dallas. I'll register sometime this week, to be sure I get in the workshops I want. Is anyone else going? If you are going, will you stay at the conference hotel, or somewhere else?

How about a Laefest???
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2007
    bobcatplanner, my coworker, will be attending. I was slated to attend, but the dates conflicted with the date I'm scheduled to take the LSAT, so I offered to be the guy who stayed home to "hold down the fort", etc.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am registered!

I passed on the workshops. Since I'm paying for this myself, I'll make do with a session or two in those time slots.

I plan on driving down Weds. and returning Sat. morning. I'm willing to carpool for gas money - or a beer or two.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am registered and also have my room reservation. I had a choice of poolside, Riverwalk view, or the King Suite.

Can you guess which one I chose?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No dice for me, which is disappointing. The conference is going on right at the height of our grant application and Action Plan cycle. A shame because a couple of my friends will be getting awards and I expect there will be some kind of celebration of Gene Lewis, probably the single most active person in TxAPA, finally retiring after more than 35 years with the City of Lewisville.

I'll be heading up the local host committee for next year's TxAPA conference in Austin though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I'll be going to the SA conference this year. Are we having a meetup sometime?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2013, 8:35 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Aug 2012, 6:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 4:05 PM
  4. TxAPA Laefest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10