Urban planning community

Poll results: Straddling Bus of the People

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think this is a wonderful idea General Secretary Hu Jintao

6 46.15%
  • I want to see it built, just to see it fail.

2 15.38%
  • I have another option.....

4 30.77%
  • RJ won't care, so neither will I

1 7.69%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Traffic straddling bus

Registered
    Mar 2004

Traffic straddling bus

Ok Transit Nerds, what say you?

http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewArt...news_164515381

or

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Ok, I'm sure someone has already posted on this one....and I may have even made a comment in that post, but this idea is growing on me for some reason

A few problems:

1. Propulsion- How is that going to work?
    2. Bridge and tunnel clearance is going to be a major problem.
    3. How will they address the problem of the routine clobbering of the shoulder rails by semi-trucks, drunk drivers and suicide attempts?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    I like the idea. Grade separation is expensive because of the heavy infrastructure, so creating trains and trams that straddle other vehicles may be an ideal alternative.

I can also see something like this being used along rail R.O.W.'s.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think it is a great idea, but the reality of city driving just won't allow something like this. I foresee a cabby turning right into it often.

I like where their mind is at though. Future thinking is good thinking.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2006
    It wouldn't work the way the pictures show it, especially the one that implies that it could actually drive in moving traffic. Picture

But, if it's legs were separated from the roadway by jersey barriers or some other rigid structure to protect them from accidents, I think it it could work. In fact, it might be a stroke of genius. No elevated tracks to build (or look at) and it takes advantage of existing transportation infrastructure.

As for propulsion, it's really just a straddle crane with a passenger compartment built on the top. Pretty straightforward.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't see this interacting well with regular vehicular traffic, but I certainly see application in rail corridors.

This might be an interesting way to address issues developing commuter rail in areas where you are stuck trying to use already at-capacity freight lines, basically substituting a large-capacity express bus instead. It would avoid costly ROW acquisition and rail construction by going vertical and only needing to provide a paved surface for the wheels. It would be especially cool if the wheels were on lifts of some kind, which would allow it to reduce height to get underneath bridges/improve aerodynamics or increase height to straddle a higher-clearance freight train.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It has different access, and egress problems than something at grade, but they are still problems for wheelchairs, just the same.

Build a continuous, wide, catwalk on a SAFEGE monorail. Done, and done.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I agree with a lot of the previous posters about wrecks, etc. However, SR brought up a good point about using it along rail, or what would be rail, corridors. I'll even add something to the mix - you could use it on/in existing HOV lanes, and you have something vaguely resembling BRT.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I agree with a lot of the previous posters about wrecks, etc. However, SR brought up a good point about using it along rail, or what would be rail, corridors. I'll even add something to the mix - you could use it on/in existing HOV lanes, and you have something vaguely resembling BRT.
    In line with that idea, instead of making it a standalone vehicle, make it into a "land ferry" where buses could filter in from various routes around a region, park on top and then be driven over traffic on highways, then pull off and go their seperate ways through city streets.

Wow, that's almost a good idea.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure....

Tunnels, overpasses and underpasses are still a major problem right?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Tunnels, overpasses and underpasses are still a major problem right?
    Yeah between this and ADA.... good luck!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I'm still not sure how this thing is supposed to turn on anything less than interstate-size radii.

Registered
    Aug 2010
    As described in the article, the straddling bus would not have problems with most overpasses. It would fit wherever a large tractor trailer fits. The compromise is that only smaller cars can go under it. Larger vehicles must stay in line or overtake using an additional lane to one side.

The shoulder guard rail is optional. Tracks could be flush with the street, like trolley tracks.

Part of the success of this bus has to do with how the law in the country where it runs handles traffic collisions.

It will run using electricity. Batteries or (more likely) capacitors will be recharged when the bus is at a stop.

Are cabbies involved in that many collisions? I would think that the spectre of being sidelined while still having to make the daily payment to the taxi company and not collecting fares would encourage more safe driving particularly around something as big as this bus.

Other questions: http://www.cockam.com/stradbus.htm

Registered
    Sep 2010
    This bus in a joke, right? Imagine the height of the traffic signals!

Registered
    Nov 2001

Apparently this idea has been around for a while

See 2nd panel from bottom on left:

http://reason.com/archives/2005/03/0...y-own-monorail

I see this mode being accepted/implemented much more readily in China than the US, especially for the reason the cartoonist brings up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traffic studies
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Sep 2010, 12:23 PM
  2. Looking for traffic planner
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Apr 2007, 8:02 PM
  3. Traffic calming
    Transportation Planning