Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Deciding between two job offers

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Deciding between two job offers

So I'm a predicament where I have to decide between two job offers and need some help on trying to decide which to choose.

The first is an Application Technician position for the Committee of Adjustment, case managing minor variance and consent applications for a very large city and one that I would love to work at. However, it is a 6 month contract position with a very good possibility of becoming permanent since the turnover rate is very high for the position. My potential boss mentioned that they need people for the long-term since people in the position move on to become Planning Assistants and Planners for the city. Its also a very stressful job, hence the high turnover rate but was told that this is a rare opportunity for external applicants since most of the hiring with the city is done internally. The 6 month contract could be used to test me out, see how I'd fit before joining the union or I could be out of a job within 6 months.

The second job would be working as a Planning Assistant for a tribunal that resolves land use disputes and other municipal matters for the Province of Ontario (people from Ontario would know the place I'm talking about). I would mainly be case managing files that have been appealed. It would be a permanent position, but $10,000 less in salary than the position with the city. However, I would rate stability considerably higher than a more desirable salary considering any salary would be better than potentially having no salary after 6 months. If the contract ends without renewal, it may give me the opportunity to travel around the world which is something I would really like to do before I get any older. The possibility of going back to school to do a Masters next fall has also crossed my mind on numerous occassions. I would also like to do this before I get any older.

My deciding factor would be based heavily on the whether the job would open up opportunities in the future. Now the Planning Assistant position would enable me to learn a variety of different legislation in various contexts and provide me with a greater understanding of provincial and municipal policies in general. This would also be a very unique opportunity to look at planning from a different perspective. The Application Technician position would be more hands on in my opinion, but at the same time more narrow and focussed on particularly the Committee of Adjustment. I am 25 and have been working as a Planner for a small town (my first planning job) and don't exactly which position will be a "better" opportunity. The more I think about it, the more undecided I become...
    Last edited by jammers; 04 Aug 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Seems like you are viewing either position as a stepping stone to something else. Given that both seem to be very bureaucratic positions/organizations, that may be a smart move. If you feel relatively confident that the 6-month position can turn into something permanent, I would recommend going for more money and expecting to move on to another job, in the same organization or elsewhere, in one or at most two years.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Your own comments lean to the 6 month posiition. It offers the opportunity of longer term employment and potential progression versus option 2. Option 2 offers permanancy now, but no long term movement.
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What kind of planning do you want to get into?

The OMB job is really just paper pushing - you won't be doing any planning, just administration of files.

The City job, while it might be menial is an excellent entry-level job. And once you are there you will be able to apply to internal positions. I don't think I've ever seen anyone booted out after their 6 month contract is up. As you said, there is so much turnover and so many things going on it shouldn't be difficult to move onwards and upwards.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I think its too early for me to say what kind of planning I want to get into.

I don't want to pigeonhole myself into a position where I'll be dealing with just one aspect of planning just yet. Although the Planning Assistant job may be paper pushing, I feel as it will give me the opportunity to get a grasp of a variety of planning issues (OPAs, ZLBAs, Consents, Minor Variances) and municipal matters in general. There would also be opportunities to move on to Planner positions in the future or move on elsewhere.
    The Application Technician position would also be paper pushing in a sense since I won't be giving planning opinions. Also, the Committee of Adjustment is very narrow and specific, but at the same time very hands on.

The City job would be very stressful, which I have been warned about during the interview. The Planning Assistant will be very laid back with lots of time to learn and opportunities for mentorship.

I keep flip flopping between the two!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I would go with the contract job. Be forewarned that jobs with high stress, high turnover rate, etc. can lead to burnout. You don't want to get jaded. If you had no experience I would side with the full time job. I think the contract job could be a good stepping stone to working in a fast-pace environment, if that is your calling.

If you accept the contract job, make sure over the next few months that you periodically check the status of a full time offer. If you pass the 3 month mark and still have no word, I would start the job search looking somewhere else. However, keep the job search confidential. You are still a temp to hire. Telling your contract employer that you are looking for other work elsewhere may tarnish your reptuation as a would-be full time employee.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2009

drawing from my experience

You can't always take their word for it that the job will be permanent. Sounds like the 6 months is more of a probationary period? Personally, I would take the job with the better title (Planning Assistant)...it will lead to better opportunities later, and I think it's a better stepping stone. Think if you were hiring someone...would you interview a tech or a planner? I made the mistake of choosing money and geography over title and responsibility...and it cost me in the interview chair...and it cost me interviews in general after I was laid off. Unless there's a salary freeze at the Planning Assistant place, you may get yearly step increases.

Just my opinion...

Congratulations and good luck with either choice!
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Just chose the Planning Assistant position. Taking a significant paycut, but I think it will be a better learning experience in the long run.

Now I can sleep at night!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 2:59 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last post: 08 Dec 2011, 2:40 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Jun 2009, 8:44 PM
  4. I need help deciding between two jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 19