Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Promoting bicycling part of UN plot to take over American cities

Registered
    Aug 1997

Promoting bicycling part of UN plot to take over American cities

http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

Republican gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes is warning voters that Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper's policies, particularly his efforts to boost bike riding, are "converting Denver into a United Nations community. This is all very well-disguised, but it will be exposed,"

The B-Cycle program places a network of about 400 red bikes for rent at stations around the city. It is funded by private donors and grants.

"This is bigger than it looks like on the surface, and it could threaten our personal freedoms," Maes said. . . . "These are very specific strategies that are dictated to us by this United Nations program that mayors have signed on to."

Maes said [the program] is affiliated with the United Nations and is "signing up mayors across the country, and these mayors are signing on to this U.N. agreement to have their cities abide by this dream philosophy."
    I didn't know whether to post this under the Neverending Political Thread, the Transportation Forum, or the Neverending "Everything is a UN/Communist plot to take over the world" Thread. So, I just started a separate one.

Just for the record, I commute from home to work and back by bicycle most days.

What says the Throbbing BrainTM? Is promoting bicycling a secret attack on personal freedom and American sovereignity? If so, it is a good thing this gentlemen pointed this out to us.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I didn't know whether to post this under the Neverending Political Thread, the Transportation Forum, or the Neverending "Everything is a UN/Communist plot to take over the world" Thread. So, I just started a separate one.

Commie.

What says the Throbbing BrainTM? Is promoting bicycling a secret attack on personal freedom and American sovereignity? If so, it is a good thing this gentlemen pointed this out to us.
    Ain't no significance to the color red in those rent-a-bikes. Nope, none.

Registered
    Jul 2002

bikes

They would clash with the black helicopters. OT, riparian buffers are a communist plot too.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What says the Throbbing BrainTM? Is promoting bicycling a secret attack on personal freedom and American sovereignty? If so, it is a good thing this gentlemen pointed this out to us.
    Well Obviously this has been a slow, calculated attack on personal freedom. If there is one thing that says removal of personal freedom it is the ability to choose whether you take a car or not.

I love things like this. Although I can't understand how people are that stupid - it does remind me that things could always be worse.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Whew! That was a good one! <wipes tears from eyes>

Yeah, I don't quite know what to say about that. I mean, we wouldn't want to become a UN commun..wait..aren't we already? Didn't President Franklin D. Roosevelt coin the term in the first place? Man this plot reaches WAAAAY back - and to the highest office in the land!

I think Dan Maes just blew my mind...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Its about time somebody caught on to the heinous plot! First they want our cars, and then the want our gun....s...er... no! First they want our cars and then they want our women....a...er....

.....DAMNIT! I can't ever get it straight with all that fluoride in the drinking water!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2004
    Quick, to your guns and religion!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Very subtle of the UN. Hearts and Minds, people. Hearts and Minds.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

The UN/Communist want to take over Colorado. Why Colorado? Do they want to go skiing in the winter time, and you can't ride a bike in the snow. This is just a ruse to take away our snowmobiles and skis. Its a communist /planner/UN/greenie plot to take over the country.

Planners will have to change the zoing ordinances to allow bomb shelters in every backyard.

I think these people smoked too much weed when they were in college and it destroyed what little grey matter they had.....

What crap we have to listen to from politicans, we would be better off pulling names out a hat.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd View post
    What crap we have to listen to from politicans, we would be better off pulling names out a hat.

Duke pulls first first ping pong ball from the state air tube: MOSSOURI

not good, but still hopefull, moves to ball for the city in next air tube: COLUMBIA

Ok, over 100,000 people in that town. Still a shot at somebody decent. Now we need a street: Long View Drive

Getting close now, hands are sweaty as We find out the Address: 2402

Oh oh, thats NOT an urban address, google says its a ringsac address. Google says we have just picked...... Brother Jed!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Bikes

Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd View post

I think these people smoked too much weed when they were in college and it destroyed what little grey matter they had.....
    Oh oh.....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    All joking aside, has anyone else observed that among folks professing libertarian views a rather higher percentage exhibit borderline clinical paranoia than you'd find in the general population? Conspiracy theories are not merely entertained by such individuals, but actually appear to form a core worldview in many instances. Not all, but like I said, much more than you'd find elsewhere.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    All joking aside, has anyone else observed that among folks professing libertarian views a rather higher percentage exhibit borderline clinical paranoia than you'd find in the general population? Conspiracy theories are not merely entertained by such individuals, but actually appear to form a core worldview in many instances. Not all, but like I said, much more than you'd find elsewhere.
    Putting on my sociologist hat here, I think the general disdain for any governmental entity that some libertarians have explains a lot of these conspiracy theories. I think the lack of trust in the government makes it easy for these theories to take hold. "Well the government is a bunch of liars on issue x, so they must be lying about the moon landing/9-11/JFK/UFO's, etc."

It seems these theories are used to muddy the waters of the real issue of concern. A perfect example of this the "birther" theory, that President Obama is not really an American citizen. Instead of calling out exactly what they don't like about the President and having a rational discussion, it is just easier to invalidate anything about the President because he isn't really a citizen. I agree it is not in all instances, but it does seem you find a higher propensity of these views in people that hold very strong libertarian views.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Selfish, paranoid, nutbags. Yeah, that sums up your average libertarian.

I remember my brother being a "bodyguard" at a speaking event for one of these lecturers that travel the country telling people about the coming UN takeover of the country. That included trains fitted with shackles at secret FEMA camps. Holding centers were to be located at "closed" big box retail stores because they were built like prisons to start with and were easy to convert to detention camps.

They really do spin a good story. It could really make for some good dystopic doomsday movies.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Putting on my sociologist hat here, I think the general disdain for any governmental entity that some libertarians have explains a lot of these conspiracy theories. I think the lack of trust in the government makes it easy for these theories to take hold. "Well the government is a bunch of liars on issue x, so they must be lying about the moon landing/9-11/JFK/UFO's, etc."

It seems these theories are used to muddy the waters of the real issue of concern. A perfect example of this the "birther" theory, that President Obama is not really an American citizen. Instead of calling out exactly what they don't like about the President and having a rational discussion, it is just easier to invalidate anything about the President because he isn't really a citizen. I agree it is not in all instances, but it does seem you find a higher propensity of these views in people that hold very strong libertarian views.
    I also see a parallel between this kind of behavior and folks who get caught up in doomsday cults. It has been well-document that in such groups, when the end of the world fails to come on the anticipated day, a surprisingly small percentage of followers become disenchanted and leave the cult or come to feel the leader is a fraud. Instead, they will cling to even the most outlandish explanations, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. I feel the same way about the "birthers." At this point, the folks who still believe in this supposed conspiracy are unlikely to change their mind no matter how much evidence in presented. Its an easy perspective to have because you can simply discount all information that refutes your view as part of the conspiracy.

I am hesitant to say "Libertarians" exhibit this behavior as a group but I think that the movement does attract people who already have this tendency (paranoia, conspiracy theories, feeling there is a great ruse going on that most people are ignorant of). But certainly not all. On the one end of the spectrum, you have people like my old professor who is as rational and upstanding, mainstream, and involved a person as you could imagine (and nationally recognized as a scholar, writer and libertarian thinker). On the other you have the crazy old coot holed up in the hills somewhere. They both call themselves Libertarians, but I think the reasons for their emphasis on limited-government, you're-responsible-for-yourself, society-doesn't-"owe"-you-anything and the-government-should-just-"get-out-of-the-way" can be quite different.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Feb 2014, 3:48 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Jun 2007, 4:54 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 12:43 PM
  4. Canadian vs. American Cities
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0