Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Jan 2011

Some numbers

Thanks for the update on Ryerson, G-Punch. Who is your inside source?

Since we're talking numbers, here are some numbers I compiled on the schools I applied to—in case others are interested. The original data came from the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Gaijin Punch View post
    For those that applied to Ryerson this year,

260+ applications for fall 2011 entry. Good luck to everyone!
    Wow. I spoke with someone at Dalhousie and they received around 100 applications this year. I also spoke with someone at Ryerson's admissions office and she said that first rounds will go out last week of March/first week of April for the MPL. Plenty of waiting time to go! Does anyone find that a bit late? Or do you think all the schools will be sending out first offers around then?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Yokotron View post
    Thanks for the update on Ryerson, G-Punch. Who is your inside source?
    A current planning grad student at Ryerson.

Thanks for the stats Yokotron. Very interesting to see the large jump in applications for Ryerson, 197 to 260. From what I understand, quite a few of these applications are from international students (mainly US based) which may make it more difficult for Canadian students.

With Dalhousie as my first choice, its good to see that they only received 100 applications compared to other schools.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by LuckyDuck View post
    ... I also spoke with someone at Ryerson's admissions office and she said that first rounds will go out last week of March/first week of April for the MPL. Plenty of waiting time to go! Does anyone find that a bit late? Or do you think all the schools will be sending out first offers around then?
    I had a quick peak at the thread like this one for last year, and it looks as though folks were receiving their acceptance letters beginning in mid to late March.

A current planning grad student at Ryerson.

Thanks for the stats Yokotron. Very interesting to see the large jump in applications for Ryerson, 197 to 260. From what I understand, quite a few of these applications are from international students (mainly US based) which may make it more difficult for Canadian students.

With Dalhousie as my first choice, its good to see that they only received 100 applications compared to other schools.
    Not to discredit your source.....but I find that very unlikely because the program hasn't closed as yet. Last year the program closed around the end of March, and they received a total of 197. So if they really have 260 ....then I am pretty sure they would have closed the program already. Last I checked, it was still open.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    FYI.. I also applied to Ryerson, as well as York.
    GPA in last two years = 81%. Geography and math undergrad, experience in the hotel development industry but nothing in planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    anyone know when U of T admissions will start going out?

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by planetblck View post
    Not to discredit your source.....but I find that very unlikely because the program hasn't closed as yet. Last year the program closed around the end of March, and they received a total of 197. So if they really have 260 ....then I am pretty sure they would have closed the program already. Last I checked, it was still open.
    I've received so much misinformation from students that now I mostly go straight to the department for any info I need.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by lamarr04 View post
    anyone know when U of T admissions will start going out?
    U of T had a fairly late document submissions deadline (January 28th), so I wouldn't expect them too soon. Probably the third week of March.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by planetblck View post
    My source asked one of the heads of the grad admissions committee. Whether this is an accurate number of applicants or not, this is the number he was told and I am simply relaying this information.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Are other people who applied to McGill still showing no supporting documents received in Minerva? Starting to get a little nervous here.

Registered
    Jan 2011

Minerva Status

Hi Bane. I got off the phone with the planning department at McGill about an hour or so ago. I called to follow-up on the confirmation notice applicants are supposed to receive to confirm the successful submission of all documents or warn of missing files. The person asked my last name, and told me that they're currently at the letter "E" and that I (with a last name that begins with the letter "P") should hear sometime next week. I'm left assuming that applications statuses and notices are being dealt with alphabetically.

The wait—for the application status notification alone, not even the admission decision—is already quite agonizing.

Registered
    Jan 2011

Minerva Status

Hi Bane. I responded to your post, but it seems that my original response wasn't posted succesfully. Anyway, with regards to your question, I got off the phone with McGill a few hours ago. I called the Planning department to follow-up on the notices applicants are supposed to recieve confirming the succesful submission of all supporting documents or warning of missing files. The person I spoke with indicated that they're currently sorting out applications—they're up to applicants with last names beginning with the letter "E." As a person with a last name that begins with "P," I was told to expect hearing from McGill sometime next week.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    The School of Urban Planning will most likely send you an e-mail to confirm that your application is complete. Last I heard, Minerva was not updated for people who did receive such notice. The process is being handled in alphabetical order at this point, so do not be alarmed if you have not received any news yet.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Strange. I tried to reply twice to Bane, but my responses never got posted. Jerome is right. I called the Planning department earlier today, and I was told they're currenty at last names beginning with the letter 'E.' I'm 'P' and was told to expect a notice sometime next week.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    AHHH! Triple duplicate posts! How to delete?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    The McGill/Minerva thing is kind of disheartening.

I did receive an e-mail offer from Queens this morning! Oddly, though, it made no mention of either an 'accept by' date, or funding... Maybe I should expect those details in the mail?
    Last edited by hhunter; 16 Feb 2011 at 2:25 PM. Reason: typos / clarity

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Congratulations! That was so incredibly fast.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Thanks
    It sounds like they use a rolling admission, and I applied a few months ago - I guess that's it?

Registered
    Feb 2011
    I was also wondering whether to expect my acceptance/reject notifications via email or a letter in the mail. What do most schools send first?

Also, has anyone checked in with, or heard anything from UBC?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Most schools send acceptance/rejections through the mail on school letterhead.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Accepted to Ryerson yesterday with $4000 award. Hopefully hear back from other schools soon so I can make a decision!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Congrats!

McGill finally indicated that they've at least processed supporting docs, and that decision will be made in March/April.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Got an acceptance to Ryerson yesterday as well.

Surprised it came so early.

Got an acceptance to Ryerson yesterday as well.

Surprised it came so early.
    Congrats. What was your gpa in the last two years?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 7:59 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 5:23 PM
  4. Replies: 240
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 8:57 PM