Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Apply to University of Calgary for MEDes

I decided to only apply to University of Calgary's Master of Environmental Design (Thesis) program. I know it's not Planning but I'll see how this goes. If I don't get in I'll apply to Masters programs in Planning, Urban Design and Landscape Arch next year or just keep working.

Good luck everyone. Let the waiting games begin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I graduated from the University of Waterloo Honours Urban Planning program (undergrad) then went to college for Architectural Technology right after. I like my experience can't wait to heal up from my injury and get back into the work force.

Worked in various Architecture and Engineering firms in GTA and southern Ontario. Experience in Site Planning, Urban Design, Commercial Architecture, etc.

Good luck everyone! I didn't know Ryerson was so popular for their MPl program. Hopefully people are enjoying Waterloo. I know it's small but I loved my undergraduate experience there.

Meant to say "Applied" to Master of Environmental Design. Ugh my spelling is atrocious right now.

Quote Originally posted by SKPlanner View post
    University of Waterloo
    UBC
    University of Calgary
    University of Manitoba
    Queens University

It wasn't an easy decision, but like I said, I've been quite happy!
    Hi SKPlanner. Did you apply to the MEDes (thesis) or Planning @ U Calgary last year? When did you hear back from them?

Thanks.

Hope your enjoying the 'loo. I luved it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by planetblck View post
    Congrats. What was your gpa in the last two years?

Not the greatest. About 3.3 I believe, although 3.75 in my last 2 semesters.

I had to supplement it by a lot of work experience though to make up for a lower GPA. A few internships during school and I've been working as a planning and development consultant for the past 3 years now.

Quote Originally posted by Gaijin Punch View post
    Not the greatest. About 3.3 I believe, although 3.75 in my last 2 semesters.

I had to supplement it by a lot of work experience though to make up for a lower GPA. A few internships during school and I've been working as a planning and development consultant for the past 3 years now.
    Ok. I heard they are more concerned with last 2 years as opposed to cgpa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    I just received acceptance to Ryerson (w/ $4000 graduate award)
    However they are giving me only until March 10 (less than two weeks) to reply to my offer.
    I've also applied to McGill, Queen's and UofT, but who knows if I'll hear back in time...

Background:
    -Queen's 2011 B.A. (Hons) Human geography
    -Overall only a 3.3 GPA but had 85% avg this past Fall semester
    -No direct planning experience

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Hello everyone,

Brand-new to the forums over here.

Planning programs applied to: UofT, Waterloo, York

Haven't heard from anybody yet. Good luck to all of us!

Quote Originally posted by Ev14 View post
    I just received acceptance to Ryerson (w/ $4000 graduate award)
    However they are giving me only until March 10 (less than two weeks) to reply to my offer.
    I've also applied to McGill, Queen's and UofT, but who knows if I'll hear back in time...

Background:
    -Queen's 2011 B.A. (Hons) Human geography
    -Overall only a 3.3 GPA but had 85% avg this past Fall semester
    -No direct planning experience

I would probably wait. McGill Queens and UofT will be worth it. Based on your stats you will get into one of them for sure.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by planetblck View post
    I would probably wait. McGill Queens and UofT will be worth it. Based on your stats you will get into one of them for sure.
    I know those 3 schools have a strong reputation but I'm actually leaning towards Ryerson and its practical based program. From what I've read UofT is a very theoretical program and is geared towards pursuing a PhD, which is the opposite of what I want. Queen's program is very small and I want a change of atmosphere as I'm there for my undergrad now. I haven't heard bad things about McGill.
    If neither school replies by March 10 then clearly I'm not early acceptance and with acceptance rates of 20% I'm not guaranteed anything.

Overall, can anyone answer if the 'international/national' reputation of a school really means anything in urban planning? (where I hope to become a practicing professional as opposed to an academic).
    Last edited by Jp05; 24 Feb 2011 at 12:24 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Received acceptances to UofT and Waterloo today.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by n31290 View post
    Received acceptances to UofT and Waterloo today.
    Did you get the UofT acceptance by email? I guess that means first rounds are out.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    UofT acceptance came by mail. A bunch of letters dated February 22 and 23rd, deadline to reply March 9.

Waterloo acceptance came by e-mail,saying that a package would arrive shortly. Deadline to reply is three weeks from today.

For anyone to answer: What is Waterloo's reputation like? Would you select it over UofT?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    UofT acceptance came by mail. A bunch of letters dated February 22 and 23rd, deadline to reply March 9.

Waterloo acceptance came by e-mail,saying that a package would arrive shortly. Deadline to reply is three weeks from today.

For anyone to answer: What is Waterloo's reputation like? Would you select it over UofT?
    did your application status change online? I am assuming there is a different timeline for international applicants, but it would be nice to hear from UofT soon.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by lamarr04 View post
    did your application status change online? I am assuming there is a different timeline for international applicants, but it would be nice to hear from UofT soon.
    Nope, my status still says "Under Review."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Congrats on the acceptance to Waterloo.

Many people believe Waterloo to have the strongest planning program in the country. In terms of its approach it's somewhere between U of T's theoretical approach and Ryerson's hands on application.

With respect to the question regarding the U of C. I applied for planning and heard back from them last. It was May by the time they sent out admissions.

I can only speak about undergrad Waterloo Planning program. It seems to be well received. Most employers seem to hold Waterloo in high regard. They see UWaterloo on the resume and know what they are getting. I know a lot of ppl who graduated from UofT's Master Planning program and they are all employed and doing well. Both are good schools though. I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Pick the school that meets your personal needs.

Good luck.

Quote Originally posted by SKPlanner View post
    Congrats on the acceptance to Waterloo.

Many people believe Waterloo to have the strongest planning program in the country. In terms of its approach it's somewhere between U of T's theoretical approach and Ryerson's hands on application.

With respect to the question regarding the U of C. I applied for planning and heard back from them last. It was May by the time they sent out admissions.
    Thanks for the info SKPlanner.

Registered
    Nov 2010

Ryerson, McGill

I see many people have heard back from Ryerson already - congrats! How long does it take for them to send letters to everyone? Or, rather, how many 'rounds' are there?

I know when I was rejected from McGill last year, I didn't hear back until April 12.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Thank you SKPlanner and cherylsafina! I am likely going with UofT. Just waiting to run it by a certain one of my profs next week. Also, I want to see if York makes an offer. UofT has always been my first choice for the close fit has with my interests.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    I've heard back from Queen's and Ryerson and I'm torn between the two. Ryerson's program is quite new, but I've heard good things about it and it supposedly has a great reputation, whereas Queen's program started awhile ago but I feel that it's reputation isn't as highly regarded as Ryerson's. Thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Just received acceptance to SFU's Masters of Urban Studies program. Not quite a planning program, it still intrigues me although I am still leaning towards Ryerson. Just waiting on Dalhousie now to see if I can make it 3 for 3.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    In at Toronto with $8k funding. My letter was also dated Feb. 23rd - it just took awhile to get out to the West Coast. They want to hear back by the 9th! I'll be lucky if any of the schools I applied to in the US have gotten back to me by then. I think I'll ask for a couple more weeks to decide.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    For all those accepted, when approximately did you apply?

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by costumeparty View post
    I submitted everything right before the deadlines, with the exception of UofT where my application was complete by January 14 (the reference deadline was the 28th but mine were all in).

Good luck to everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I was right on the deadlines with everything. With Toronto, I actually passed the Jan 28 deadline due to one referee forgetting to send his letter then going to Latin America, and me having to scramble for a replacement referee. And lo and behold, Toronto is the first school I hear back from.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    I applied to Queens and McGill around New Years, but my second reference letters weren't received until early February. I heard back from Queens mid February, and nothing from McGill (other than that my application is complete).

The odd thing about Queens is that they haven't made decisions about funding yet (I'm told)... could they really expect you to accept without knowing whether or not you're receiving funding? I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is in this situation with Queens. Thanks!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 4:23 PM
  4. Replies: 240
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 7:57 PM